Sex animations.

OK. Yayy Animated Prostitution and All Hail JoshNZ.

That said, a full character copy for each mod that makes its own animations is going to be unsustainable. Which brings me to my little exercise from last night.

I was going to post the scripts to these, but like a twit, I've left them on my laptop and not on the USB key so that'll have to wait. However, the proposal is for a definition file and software to create the necessary files to play the animations in game.

The idea is that the definition file lists three things:

1: the name of the hkx files: one to use as a template, and one for the hacked copy that will be creaed

2: A list of races that need sex copies using the new hkx file.

3: a list of the animations to be inserted along with the desired name for the idle object.

Note that parts 2 and 3 are probably going to be needed even if we find a non-hack solution to the hkx problem.

Given that information, I propose scripts that

1: create the hacked hkx. Filenames can be checked for length and padded if need be. Over-long names will have to cause an error. We may be able to get a bit clever with placement for long names, scanning for a slot big enough.

2: Create the Papyrus scripts to lookup animations by name and any other scripting support we may need

3: create a .esp file to hold Idle objects, sex race copies and a top level quest for the papyrus script

#

# hash chars mark comments

#

# This is the definition file for an animation replacer script

# that (with stunning originality) I call re-animator. The idea here

# is that you add your animation details to this file, run the

# associated script, and it generates three files:

#

# 1: A new defaultfemale.hkx file with the animations replaced

# by the ones specified in this file. File names will be checked

# for length and may be padded if too short. Over long file names

# will cause an error.

# 2: A papyrus script implementing lookup functions by name for the

# animations and populating a general list

# 3: a .esp file (probably created using SkyProc) that defines all

# the Idle objects needed to play the animations in-game

#

# This way everyone can use the same hacked animation tree,

# and all we need do is keep one file up to date. New animations can

# be added fairly easily.

#

#

# Fields:

#

# infile and outfile. Infile is used as the template for the new

# .hkx. Outfile is the name used for the modified hkx generated

#

infile defaultfemale.hkx

outfile MyDefltfemale.hkx

#

# Races: each race here will have a Sex race duplicated for it.

#

race NordRace

race DarkElfRace

race FalmerRace

# ... and many more

#

# animations: format is

#

# anim

#

# mod name and author should probably be optional, but could be

# useful both for debugging and for credits

#

anim FGivesBJKneeling fgivesbjkneel.hxk "My Mod" "Joe Animator"

anim MGetsBJStanding mgetsbjstand.hkx

# ... many many more

Now: I have something parse the input file already (not that that's difficult). I can knock up the .hkx converter easy enough, and the papyrus generator won't be too much harder. We should auto compile the scripts which will need the compiler bat file specifying somewhere, but should otherwise be straightforward.

SkyProc seems the best approach for writing the .esp file. I'm not a big fan of Java, but I can code in it. Also possible would be a batch mode edit using TESVSnip or just generating our own from scratch using what is already known about the record layout and from a couple of samples generated using the CK.

Thoughts, anyone?

Wanted to give a quick thanks and nod to Fore for being the only person besides me to publicly call out JoshNZ's bogus claim that he'd found a way to add animations to Skyrim, on the Nexus, and for also failing to be transparent about the possible negative effects this could have on someone's game and file structure.

Because of his embellishment of his personal accomplishment, a whole sea of people have had to do clean installs. I know some people will think less of me for that, but I can't stand a lack of transparency with these sorts of things. The way he boasted about how it IS possible to add animations to Skyrim, I'd be stunned if he didn't dislocate his shoulder patting himself on the back.

Just my two cents, but thanks for going into detail on the thread, Fore. It's nice to see someone who cares more about honesty than making themselves look good. That sort of integrity apparently isn't to be taken for granted.

Wanted to give a quick thanks and nod to Fore for being the only person besides me to publicly call out JoshNZ's bogus claim that he'd found a way to add animations to Skyrim' date=' on the Nexus, and for also failing to be transparent about the possible negative effects this could have on someone's game and file structure.

Because of his embellishment of his personal accomplishment, a whole sea of people have had to do clean installs. I know some people will think less of me for that, but I can't stand a lack of transparency with these sorts of things. The way he boasted about how it IS possible to add animations to Skyrim, I'd be stunned if he didn't dislocate his shoulder patting himself on the back.

Just my two cents, but thanks for going into detail on the thread, Fore. It's nice to see someone who cares more about honesty than making themselves look good. That sort of integrity apparently isn't to be taken for granted.

[/quote']

Thanks to you too, Angelica, for teaming up here. I was afraid, that we could get outvoted by the amount of users panting for mods like these. But as you can see from the reputation numbers, people seem to appreciate clear facts, when they are convincing.

Thanks also for your assessment of Beth's role, which you postet earlier in the AP thread. I didn't know some of the facts, but it's just the way I feel about being disappointed by oversized promises. And I'm sure, many think like that. It's just a pity that this interesting post is a bit wasted in this thread. Isn't that worth being started someplace else?

EDIT: Just for clarification, Angelica. The "solution" I described last week is not the same as used in the AP mod. I didn't need to copy all animation files, but instead do a little hex-editing of behavior files. Hope this is sufficient, but should be (bretons and elves do share the same animations, why sould an idle race need diffferent ones). I'm working on a mod right now, which shall prove feasibility. Will try to keep the size of the mod as small and re-usable as possible. Also did a request at the SKSE team, which should drastically reduce the number of needed idle races.

So... what? Is animation in Skyrim possible?

Cuz I didn't understand a lick of what everyone said here. XD

Two approaches, the clean one is to figure out how to add new idle animations, this require serious hacking.

The dirty solution is to make an dummy race, convert the character to it and do the animation then convert back. This work for sex animations if we are able to preserve texture details, hair and face as sex animations is idle animations like the one you see doing smithing.

The clean one enables more combat moves and other stuff.

It took one year before we got decent custom animations for Oblivion.

The "solution" I described last week is not the same as used in the AP mod. I didn't need to copy all animation files, but instead do a little hex-editing of behavior files.

I was going to ask about that - I ended up doing the same thing Josh did in my setup (but my purpose is more for machinima creation then an actual playable mod).

I copied the entire character animation folder and renamed it something else. After creating a new race, I routed the defaultmale.hkx/defaultfemale.hkx files in the renamed character folder, but changing mt_idle to my_idle didn't work.

I ended up taking converted fight idles (Umpa Arts, Seph's new anims) from Oblivion mods and renaming them exactly as the loose idles were found, and call their anim events (like sae IdleCiceroDance2) to play in the console. It worked, so I left that set up alone and moved on to video making. :P

I'm still interested in where renaming hkx files to something like my_idle came in. Was this renaming done in the hex editor? I never used a hex editor before, but I have no issues with learning. And I don't need to copy every single animation over to a new folder? If I can rename a file from idlecicerodance02.hkx to something like IdlSephBckflip.hkx could help me keep track of my files.

I apologize ahead of time for tl;dr, and major thanks for you and everyone for this fascinating thread. :D

I was going to ask about that - I ended up doing the same thing Josh did in my setup (but my purpose is more for machinima creation then an actual playable mod).

I copied the entire character animation folder and renamed it something else. After creating a new race' date=' I routed the defaultmale.hkx/defaultfemale.hkx files in the renamed character folder, but changing mt_idle to my_idle didn't work.

I ended up taking converted fight idles (Umpa Arts, Seph's new anims) from Oblivion mods and renaming them exactly as the loose idles were found, and call their anim events (like sae IdleCiceroDance2) to play in the console. It worked, so I left that set up alone and moved on to video making. :P

[/quote']

Replacing Idles works with apparently no problem. So it's only a matter of how to make these replacement not effecting the whole game, and SetRace seems to be the way to use. Now it's a decision "how". Because it seems to be the easiest way, most people think it's necessary to make a complete copy of the character folder, including all animations.

But this is the way beast races are made in Skyrim, not humanoid races. Bretons and Elves share the same "characters" folder. So my goal is to make a setup which is least intrusive to the whole system. So I came up with the behavior editing. I replaced "AstridIdle" with a custom animation, and made a small script, where SendAnimationEvent "AstridIdle" was called on NPCs. Unchanged NPCs played the normal Astrid, and the new custom after changing the race. Now I'm extending this, to more animations, easily modifyable by other users, and arbitrary races. I have also asked the SKSE team to add some functions which would suppoert this. If you could give me those Umpa/Seph ports, I could add them to the initial setup. Usually Umpa and Seph don't put restrictions on their work.

I'm still interested in where renaming hkx files to something like my_idle came in. Was this renaming done in the hex editor? I never used a hex editor before' date=' but I have no issues with learning. And I don't need to copy every single animation over to a new folder?

[/quote']

You don't really need a hex editor. Since you only change Ascii characters, you can simply use NotePad++. That's excellent for Papyrus scripts anyway.

If I can rename a file from idlecicerodance02.hkx to something like IdlSephBckflip.hkx could help me keep track of my files.

You should just take care that both names have same length. Maybe it's not necessary, but I wouldn't even try.

Does anyone apart from me think that JoshNZ is being a bit hard done by right now?

Granted, his implementation was sloppy and damaging. On the other hand, it was a clearly marked beta release so people shouldn't be too surprised to find there were problems.

And lets face it - he had a practical implementation released for testing while the rest of us were still debating how many deadra can dance on the head of a mudcrab.

Personally, I think he deserves a little more credit than he's getting at the moment.

After digging through Josh's scripts I think the reason for the idle names not being recognized, outside of his mod if you are experimenting with the race copying method, is because of the Gameplay/Animations -> Idle Animations binding methods, where the event and called idle are listed. I find it odd that new animations cant be added for an event since there is a none option if you want no animation for a particular event. As for the hair problem I am wondering if the HeadPart object type can be used to fix it.

His temporary race also only uses about 6-8 animations, for walking forward, left, right, and two for the actual act itself. All the unused animations, the ones that are copied for the sake of providing this "dummy" race don't have the ID's in the Idle Animations window at all, which I think means that you can strip a race down to where only the animations you need in HKX form are included for the mod and not all these extra filler hkxs. There are loop and duration controls under the Idle Animations window, so an idle is able to play longer/more times when required.

I am no programmer, but I would assume that you could just pad a file to a short length in place of real animations; the name length for the file is one thing, but I don't see why we cant just have 1kb files full of nulls to save space for the real hkxs to be used ingame.

I was able to replace his animations with the ones from the adult animation pack, but his original script required some tweaking; the distance between the actors is calculated using trig and doesn't disable collisions while they play, so sometimes the alignment is off. I am new to the CK's language, so I could be wrong about some of the things I have in this post, but I hope that in some way this may help others who are goofing around with these scripts while a better/alternate method is found for these animations; my main reason for getting involved is having been playing with max for a few years. I saw what people did with oblivion and thought it would be interesting to get involved with skyrim right as things picked up speed.

If anyone wants to try to swap the animations from the mod it uses the male: idlegive, and female: idletake hkxs.

Personally' date=' I think he deserves a little more credit than he's getting at the moment.

[/quote']

I personally thought it was a very, very creative solution lol

Not very practical for any real use but still...

The "race change and use animations on race variant" is somewhat practical, but of course creates new problems.

One problem, I think, is that custom races become difficult to support. But that could be mitigated by making the script which handles races a separate script which could be overridden.

A bigger problem is customization. We lose some of our customization when we switch races, and if we are doing to do that we might want to think about just using model "stand-ins" and applying customization to those models?

One problem' date=' I think, is that custom races become difficult to support. But that could be mitigated by making the script which handles races a separate script which could be overridden.

[/quote']

This is why I proposed using SkyProc or similar to copy the race records entirely, changing only the name and the behavior graph. The program runs and generates a new esp from the races listed. That should minimise maintenance problems, and with exact copies it may solve some of the customisation issues.

A bigger problem is customization. We lose some of our customization when we switch races' date=' and if we are doing to do that we might want to think about just using model "stand-ins" and applying customization to those models?

[/quote']

I suppose if we clone the actors involved, hide the originals, change the race of the stand ins and switch back after it would stop the original from being contaminated. You might still see your toon looking a bit odd during the act though.

On a related subject: I've been thinking about JoshNV's class hacks, and I think we're going to need to be able to manage such hacks. A lot of people are going to need to add functionality to the base classes. The best approach would be with mixins, if Papyrus only supported them. But maybe we could emulate that with some sort of preprocessor syntax. It wouldn't be a million miles away from what Beth already do with script fragments. Just a thought.

I think we should get some one to seduce some of the workers from beth and get them to spill the beans on how to do it.... lo it's worth a shot anyway!

There's a risk of a perverse incentive there.

If the Bethseda devs are anything like some developers I've know, then if they think they can get laid by leaving stuff out of this CK, the one for FO4 is going to be a list of op codes and a hex editor :)

I think we should get some one to seduce some of the workers from beth and get them to spill the beans on how to do it.... lo it's worth a shot anyway!

There's a risk of a perverse incentive there.

If the Bethseda devs are anything like some developers I've know' date=' then if they think they can get laid by leaving stuff out of this CK, the one for FO4 is going to be a list of op codes and a hex editor :)

[/quote']

That brings back thoughts of days of old, before the days of Softice, in those times long ago when people ran DOS and debug and a hex editor were the only weapons you needed. How quickly the years pass and all that is left is old war stories.:shy:

Does anyone apart from me think that JoshNZ is being a bit hard done by right now?

Granted' date=' his implementation was sloppy and damaging. On the other hand, it was a clearly marked [b']beta[/b] release so people shouldn't be too surprised to find there were problems.

And lets face it - he had a practical implementation released for testing while the rest of us were still debating how many deadra can dance on the head of a mudcrab.

Personally, I think he deserves a little more credit than he's getting at the moment.

Well said. Now is not the time for the crab bucket. Anyone making any sort of progress should be encouraged.

JoshNZ isn't in it for personal glory. Yes his idea is bloated and clumsy, but most innovations need refinement. I'm not in any sort of JoshNZ fanclub, (AP for FO3 needs more tweaking than it's worth to work properly in my game), and some of his design decisions don't appeal to me at all.

If you think you can improve on someone's work then I think you should concentrate on the positive and useful aspects rather than on scoring academic points. Cooperation will achieve more than competition.

Take it from me, when we do get something working, the solution will prove to be simple, even trivial. And it won't just be the result of one person's herculean effort, but a collective victory.

"Talent hits a target nobody else can,

Genius hits a target nobody else sees."

Schopenhauer (probably)

Do I hear a volunteer? Is "spill the beans" just a Freudian slip or a direct reference to the outcome of the seduction? We'll need pics too;)

Oh I don't know it is tempting' date=' but I am in the wrong country lol.

That brings back thoughts of days of old, before the days of Softice, in those times long ago when people ran DOS and debug and a hex editor were the only weapons you needed. How quickly the years pass and all that is left is old war stories.:shy:

The IT lady at work was telling me today about how when she first started in the industry computers still ran of those punch card codes. Imagine trying to write the script for these animations with punch codes, and I thought the old VB was bad.

I now just heard the news of no new animations to skyrim' date=' WTF Beth?! I really cant think of the reason why Beth would do this, i mean Oblivion and FO both allow new animation so why not Skyrim?

[/quote']

It's probably to stop mods like sexout or something. But you have got to remember it took a year before there where any new animations for oblivion and the only reason why it was so quick for Fallout 3 and New Vegas is because they use a similar engine to Oblivion.