A Quick Question About NifSkope...

Guest marieruth

Guest marieruth

After exporting a mesh as a NIF file, do I have to manually re-add new textures  through Nifskope and have them show successfully through Nifskope? I saw some sites saying that you have to remove the NiMaterialProperty and replace it with BSShaderTextureSet in order to get textures to display, but it just wasn't all that clear to me. And I can't seem to find a definitive guide for that sort of thing. If anyone could help that would be appreciated. :\

I added the folder of my mesh and textures into the game data folder list in Nifskope settings...

This is for Fallout 3/New Vegas by the way

After exporting a mesh as a NIF file, do I have to manually re-add new textures  through Nifskope and have them show successfully through Nifskope? I saw some sites saying that you have to remove the NiMaterialProperty and replace it with BSShaderTextureSet in order to get textures to display, but it just wasn't all that clear to me. And I can't seem to find a definitive guide for that sort of thing. If anyone could help that would be appreciated. :\

I added the folder of my mesh and textures into the game data folder list in Nifskope settings...

Greetings.

..."exported" from what ? A 3 D program like "Blender" ?

And for wich game ? I think those people told this because they are thinking you want to export something from Oblivion to Skyrim ... with Oblivion , if you click on the " NiMaterialProperty" 's icon ,  you can choose ( and set) here the right path to your texture's folder ... 

Sorry , "little" mystake , you need to click on the "NiTexturingProperty" , the purpose of the icon of the NiMaterialProperty is other. ( that's for Oblivion of course).

With Skyrim , you can do the same thing but by clicking on that "BSShaderTextureSet" ---> and go to the "details block" to assign the texture path ... or sometime the texture path is "blank" because the texture is assigned with the Constuction Kit ( in the "xxx.esp" of course ) and in this case , the textures are not displayed  in the NifSkope screen/window.

Cheers.

Guest marieruth

Greetings.

And for wich game ? I think those people told this because they are thinking you want to export something from Oblivion to Skyrim ... with Oblivion , if you click on the " NiMaterialProperty" 's icon you can choose ( and set) here the right path to your texture ... 

With Skyrim , you can do the same thing but by clicking on that "BSShaderTextureSet" ---> and go to the "details block" to assign the texture path ... or sometime the texture path is "blank" because the texture is assigned with the Constuction Kit ( in the "xxx.esp" of course ) and in this case , the textures are not displayed  in the NifSkope screen/window.

Cheers.

Oh damn, I'm sorry. I meant for Fallout 3/New Vegas.

I do not own Skyrim or Oblivion. I'll change my description

The the site didn't specify which game, it just said that that's what I should do.

Greetings.

And for wich game ? I think those people told this because they are thinking you want to export something from Oblivion to Skyrim ... with Oblivion , if you click on the " NiMaterialProperty" 's icon you can choose ( and set) here the right path to your texture ... 

Cheers.

Oh damn, I'm sorry. I meant for Fallout 3/New Vegas.

I do not own Skyrim or Oblivion. I'll change my description

The the site didn't specify which game, it just said that that's what I should do.

Hi ,

Sorry i've corrected my post , there was a "little" mystake about the icon.

I cannot help you with fallout , because it's not installed on my computer ( and there are no meshes from Fallout i can see on my machine) .

Fallout in between Oblivion and Skyrim , but i don't think the texture path is assigned in other ways than in Skyrim ( or Oblivion ???) .

I'm sure someone else 'll help you in a short time.

Bye.

If you exported correctly from Blender 2.49b, you don't have to do anything like replacing NiMaterial etc.

Once you placed your nif and your texture in the right folders of NV, you just want to use nifskope to change the path of the texture to something relative (textures \ my_mod \ my_texture) to let the game see them correctly later.

However, if nifskope doesn't show you the texture, I more think you are using a wrong path in nifskope settings or you are using a file with a wrong size (not 256x256 , 512x512 etc). Or you are writing the file name manually and you are forgetting .dds at the end. These are the few things I can think about right now.

Guest marieruth

If you exported correctly from Blender 2.49b, you don't have to do anything like replacing NiMaterial etc.

Once you placed your nif and your texture in the right folders of NV, you just want to use nifskope to change the path of the texture to something relative (textures \ my_mod \ my_texture) to let the game see them correctly later.

However, if nifskope doesn't show you the texture, I more think you are using a wrong path in nifskope settings or you are using a file with a wrong size (not 256x256 , 512x512 etc). Or you are writing the file name manually and you are forgetting .dds at the end. These are the few things I can think about right now.

So even though I have the game folders directed to a directory that isn't actually a game directory, it still wouldn't work?

And I used to make UV overlays that were 1024 x 1024 so I guess that solves one issue I had a while ago. :)

Oh and if I edit a NIF mesh and add a new object to it through Blender, do I need to do anything to the new object to make it work with the rest when exporting it to a NIF? With the textures maintaining and all?

post-470694-0-27796300-1408680571_thumb.jpg

I didn't modify anything of the coffee mug, but I just added the "liquid" mesh to make it look filled.

It should work if the path is absolute, or if the path is relative and it's correctly setted inside nifskope settings. Before putting everything inside the game folders, I use to put texture and nif in the same folder, and the texture path inside nifskope will be simply the name of the file, without any path (my_texture.dds instead of textures\my_mod\my_texture.dds)

You can make a UV of 1024 and then link it to a dds with a wrong size, you still will have no texture on the nif, so yeah double checking the dds isn't that bad.

And I don't think you need to do anything special on the coffee mug since the collision size is the same, but I guess you'll convert it from a Misc item to a Static (or when you capside it, it will seem unnatural that the liquid doesn't go out from the mug) and I don't know exactly what this implies. In the past I did some Misc items in the same way I do Static items and they worked fine, but I'm not sure if there's something else that must be done, like changing some flag via nifskope

Archived