Unable to create new characters

So I'm having an issue I am hoping you guys can help me with. I've never encountered this before.

If I launch Skyrim and select "new game" the options of continue, load, new, and options go away and I'm stuck with an infiniate screen with the symbol. The game doesn't freeze as the music keeps playing and I can even continue to move my mouse. Its like the game doesn't/can't launch the intro.

Now I use Alternate Start which has been flawless since I installed it well over a year ago. Since however when you make a new character with Alternate start, it does a "prison" save, I loaded the last one up without any problems. In fact I can load all my characters without any problems. I did "showracemenu" and was able to change everything in that prison save to something else and then started myself in the Ivarstead tavern.

Here is where it gets strange. I got a prompt saying I had successfully escaped Helgen. Yet my character was wearing prison rags and elevated like she was sitting on the wagon. She wore the simple cloth hood like you would wear when starting as a patron of the inn thanks to Alternate Start. My quest log showed Unbound was finished yet the Life Another Life quest about checking around Helgen was not complete.

Its like my game is confused between the two.

I went and downloaded the latest version of Alternate Start and installed it. But instead of NMM detecting I already had a version installed and asking to overwrite it, it only alerted me to the fact it detected an .esp for Alternate Start. I said yes to overwrite. What is strange is that when I looked, I can't find the older version on NMM. Its gone. I never deleted it and I am the only one using this PC.

I tried again to make a new character and same thing... It won't load up the races options. The only custom race I use is temptress and that has been installed longer then I can remember.

I even loaded a character, then exited to the game menu and tried to then make a new one and instant CTD.

What is really strange is the last time I played Skyrim, I made a new character with no problems and I have not installed or removed any mods since I created her. In fact after I made her, several days ago I haven't played Skyrim until now. Haven't added or removed any mods.

To be quite frank about it I am rather baffled.

Thoughts anyone?

Run one of or all:

LOOT

Wrye Bash

TES5Edit

on your load order to see if

a) you're load order is borked

B) you're missing a dependency for one of your mods

c) you're running mods that are mutually incompatible

d) you're running one of those mods that has multiple esp's/esm's (and you should have picked only one)

e) you have an esp/esm with dirty edits (careful here, not all masters should be cleaned, some older mods have INTENTIONAL           dirty edits required for functionality)

f) you have current versions of all the UnOfficial Patches (Live Another Life is written against current Patches

That doesn't work check things like:

skeletons for your character (and vanilla skeletons)

body meshes (if the meet the requirements for BBP/TBBP/HDT - whatever you have installed)

You need to run a Reproccer utility (Dual Sheath Redux, Armed to the Teeth, Skyre etc)

Addon utilities like jcontainers, ActorEvents, payrusutil, FISS, Niowerride, ShowRaceMenu Precache Killer, OneTweak etc

ENB and/or ENBoost  - check enblocal.ini settings as well enbseries.ini  (if you use ENB)

Check memory patch (should be using SKSE 1.71) and that required entries in skse.ini are present

That fails, start process of elimination for mods:

disable mods that you can skip for character start (don't forget to disable utilities and ENB)

try to create a character, if you can't disable more until you can

then add them back in  a little at a time until you can't create a character

That should should show you where problem is, then just have to look for fix.

thank you very much for the tips Judge. I'll start going over everything with a fine tooth comb.

First I'm going to look at the date I made the last new character. Then look through NMM and uninstall every mod I installed after that date. Which sadly I think is a short list.

Archived