A generic scanner in sexout (code review please!)

Looks like I put the nqueststage business in the quest script' date=' in addition to changing it in some wrong ways. Thanks!

[/quote']

No problem.

I moved it into that script since it's just being used to determine if the approach spell should actually be called. I had to reverse the check because the old one was doing a return, while the new one is running the approach checks.

Basically changed it from "If this fail" to "if not this, succeed".

Had to do that so the list clearing at the end could still run as I mentioned. A return would mean the lists would stay populated and slowly fill up with NPCs as you run around the wasteland away from vault 3. By the time you got there, it would have every NPC you'd ever encountered since your last visit. ;)

For some reason, the scanner doesn't seem to be picking up NPCs in my test. Entrance and exit of the vault worked fine, there were just no Tryout checks from the surrounding fiends.

For some reason' date=' the scanner doesn't seem to be picking up NPCs in my test. Entrance and exit of the vault worked fine, there were just no Tryout checks from the surrounding fiends.

[/quote']

Hmm. I didn't check that the tryout was working, just that the fiends didn't go go violence at the door and sent me on to motor-runner instead. I can look a bit closer.

If you turn on debug mode in sexout, are you seeing scanner messages in the console?

I get no Tryout attempts from Fiends or Powder Gangers, every other faction seems to work fine. Here's what the console debug spits out.

Fiends:

PGs:

Huh' date=' looks like PGs do work. Maybe something to do with fiends broke all the scanner spells in some sort of cascading effect?

[/quote']

Unlikely. I won't say impossible because I'm not 100% sure. Are you sure you gave them all different names? Check your script list for blahblahDUPLICATE0000 junk indicating you forgot to change the name of the script or spell..

I haven't touched rapers in forever, only to change the calls to NG calls.. not sure what that's about.

I just completed the fiends "initiation" and they are friendly now as expected. Went back to freeside and kings are doing the approach as normal.

Fiends is broken outside of vault 3 however, and nQuestStage is to blame.

It starts at 0.

Once you complete the initial dialog, it's set to 30.

Whenever you leave the vault after that, it's set to 10.

It has to be 30 or higher for approaches to happen, which it never is outside the vault.

Changing that check in the spell to 10 (instead of 30) should work fine, or just dump that whole block that sets it back to 10 if the player is outside the vault.

Going to upload these as an "experimental" pack for now, just in case there's unforeseen consequences. A transition went smoothly for once, so I don't trust it.

I had it run an approach attempt on me exactly once inside and not again. Quest vars looked ok in the dump..

sqv "130221b8"
->init = 1
->approach = 36
->callbackmode = 0
->FiendsFriend = 1
->nQuestStage = 30
--- Quest state -----------------------------
Running?       Yes
Current stage: 0
Priority:      100

The one hit I got was

Tryout: Fiend : Tryout chance failed 40 > 36

It flew by fast, I wouldn't have noticed but I was capturing output to a file.

Looking a little deeper, dunno what would cause it to run once and never again.

I set that quest variable to 10 instead of 30 and got swarmed by Driver Nephi's goons. Didn't try inside the vault.

For better or worse, it just got uploaded. Let's see what bug reports come in from the brave ones.