IGNORED

Some of my NPCs have red foreheads can someone help me?

Sounds like you've got bad FaceGenData textures for some reason. Go into Data\Textures\Actors\Character\FaceGenData\FaceTint\Skyrim.esm. Open those .dds files with some program (Paint.NET is free). If any of them have the top third all red, just delete it (or at least rename it if you're uncomfortable with deleting them).

I'm pretty sure this is the problem, but it could be other things. But, if such files exist (with the top part red), then this is the problem.

Is it vanilla NPC's or NPC's you made via the creation kit?

It's definitely a problem with facetints.

iirc it's an issue with your facetints/makeup textures being of diff. sizes than the original causing some of the face tinits (lip/eyeshadow/liner/cheek/etc.) to all land on the forehead.

Try renaming the Tintmasks folder found in: D:\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim [06.22.2014]\Data\Textures\Actors\character\Character assets

To see if that'll fix it (maybe force the game to use the old tints found in the skyrim bsa). If it removes the red forehead along with all facetints altogether, you might need to DL some new facetint texture mods.

Is it vanilla NPC's or NPC's you made via the creation kit?

It's definitely a problem with facetints.

iirc it's an issue with your facetints/makeup textures being of diff. sizes than the original causing some of the face tinits (lip/eyeshadow/liner/cheek/etc.) to all land on the forehead.

Try renaming the Tintmasks folder found in: D:\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim [06.22.2014]\Data\Textures\Actors\character\Character assets

To see if that'll fix it (maybe force the game to use the old tints found in the skyrim bsa). If it removes the red forehead along with all facetints altogether, you might need to DL some new facetint texture mods.

The NPCs are Vanilla, and I renamed the Skyrim\Data\textures\actors\character\character assets\tintmasks file to tintmasksgawsgsgdgsg (That's actually what I named it) and I still have the problem.

The NPCs are Vanilla, and I renamed the Skyrim\Data\textures\actors\character\character assets\tintmasks file to tintmasksgawsgsgdgsg (That's actually what I named it) and I still have the problem.

save near a read head npc

if you don't have mod organiser, rename texture to _texture, load the game, and see if it's still there

do the same with mesh if it's not the textures

if it's not the mesh either, desactivate all your race and face mod until you find the one that edit their head

This problem sounds like the "coloured forehead" bug from the CK. It is caused by the CK not handling modded tintmasks well, and by the author not properly accounting for this when they make their mod (and, apparently, not checking the preview window in the CK or checking the modded NPC in-game, which seems weird... this problem is long-known, and the workaround is simple & quick). It is not native to the Vanilla game - those NPCs are being affected by a mod.

It is not a problem with the tintmasks themselves - renaming the tintmasks folder will not fix it. The problem lies with the incorrectly modded NPC.

Once it's baked-on by a badly made mod, it's pretty much stuck there - unless the mod responsible is either uninstalled by the user or fixed by the author & updated. :huh:

*If you do not know which mod is affecting the NPCs, you can check using TES5Edit. Gopher has done a good tutorial on this located on YouTube.

This problem sounds like the "coloured forehead" bug from the CK. It is caused by the CK not handling modded tintmasks well, and by the author not properly accounting for this when they make their mod (and, apparently, not checking the preview window in the CK or checking the modded NPC in-game, which seems weird... this problem is long-known, and the workaround is simple & quick). It is not native to the Vanilla game - those NPCs are being affected by a mod.

It is not a problem with the tintmasks themselves - renaming the tintmasks folder will not fix it. The problem lies with the incorrectly modded NPC.

Once it's baked-on by a badly made mod, it's pretty much stuck there - unless the mod responsible is either uninstalled by the user or fixed by the author & updated. :huh:

*If you do not know which mod is affecting the NPCs, you can check using TES5Edit. Gopher has done a good tutorial on this located on YouTube.

If i reinstalled the game would that fix it?

If i reinstalled the game would that fix it?

Not if you keep using the same mod that is causing the problem in the first place, no. :huh:

Archived