Looking for step by step instructions

Vuulgar

on how to install Steam mods with MO. I have spent a chunk of time looking and found little info.....after I subscribe I have to start from the regular launcher to get the files added to my Skyrim data folder? How do I know what all was included to add to the zip? Its insane I cant just download the stuff and install with what I want....anyone with some experience here would be appreciated and maybe even put in the will depending on how good the instructions are.....

Steam mods usually download as esp/esm and bsa combo. Once in the data folder, MO will recognise their existance. But if you absotivily posilutely must install them with MO, then...

1. Subscribe to mod.

2. Start launcher (the skyrim one, not SKSE or NMM or MO or whatever) to download the subscribed mod.

3. Open explorer and navigate to your game's data folder.

4. Copy the esp/esm and bsa files of that mod somewhere else.

5. Unsubcribe from the mod and once again start the launcher so the game knows not to try loading it.

6. Archive those files files with 7-zip or whatever.

7. Copy/move the newly created archive to MO's "downloads" folder.

8. Continue as usual with MO.

Yes it does require effort, but that's what happens when you want to do something outside the parameters of an application.

Honestly, as much as I want to migrate to MO, I feel like you should be using NMM first. I am testing out the features of MO by having it handle a separate Skyrim directory (two skyrim games) so that I don't have to fuck up my main game. 

NMM = When it works it is simple, but when you have a lot of mods installed, re-installing or even uninstalling mods can be a big problem because NMM tends to leave loose files behind. You just have to be carefully and sometimes manually check if all the files are gone. But the biggest problem is with files that have overwritten.

If you are really careful, you won't have any problem.

MO= More of a advance mod organizer. You will spend a lot of times trying to sort out the conflicting files and priorities because it gives you too much freedom and as a result, you don't get the physical cues that NMM gives you when you install mods over another mods.

Steam mods usually download as esp/esm and bsa combo. Once in the data folder, MO will recognise their existance. But if you absotivily posilutely must install them with MO, then...

1. Subscribe to mod.

2. Start launcher (the skyrim one, not SKSE or NMM or MO or whatever) to download the subscribed mod.

3. Open explorer and navigate to your game's data folder.

4. Copy the esp/esm and bsa files of that mod somewhere else.

5. Unsubcribe from the mod and once again start the launcher so the game knows not to try loading it.

6. Archive those files files with 7-zip or whatever.

7. Copy/move the newly created archive to MO's "downloads" folder.

8. Continue as usual with MO.

Yes it does require effort, but that's what happens when you want to do something outside the parameters of an application.

Excellent, thank you very much for your time. I want the mods in MO because I play lots of alts all with different mods and I really dont want to be locked in to one specific thing, in this case Skyrim Unbound compared to Alternate start: Live another life. I am fairly new to modding but I can certainly see many advantages to MO over NMM.

Honestly, as much as I want to migrate to MO, I feel like you should be using NMM first. I am testing out the features of MO by having it handle a separate Skyrim directory (two skyrim games) so that I don't have to fuck up my main game. 

NMM = When it works it is simple, but when you have a lot of mods installed, re-installing or even uninstalling mods can be a big problem because NMM tends to leave loose files behind. You just have to be carefully and sometimes manually check if all the files are gone. But the biggest problem is with files that have overwritten.

If you are really careful, you won't have any problem.

MO= More of a advance mod organizer. You will spend a lot of times trying to sort out the conflicting files and priorities because it gives you too much freedom and as a result, you don't get the physical cues that NMM gives you when you install mods over another mods.

I kind of agree....kind of. I went through several installs of Skyrim with NMM, it is easier but far less forgiving . Once you get MO set up ( hte hardest part to me was getting the EXE files loaded and working correctly to run through MO. With NMM I found trying new mods to be an eventual hassle that would ultimately end up with a full delete and fresh reinstall of EVERYTHING. Huge pain, now with profiles in MO if I add something that ends up being a problem I am just a few clicks from a fresh start. And it fits my play desires in that I can try every mod without regard to the game itself being corrupted. As so many have said, once you switch the benefits outweigh the complications by leaps and bounds, its not even close. Try it and fight through the frustrations of the learning curve and you will be glad you did.

Archived