Problems with MO and FNIS *Updated*

bazaba

Hello everyone,

I switched to MO today because the Nexus Mess Manager fucked up my mods and my whole Skyrim installation again.

Made a fresh skyrim install and I've watched and read MO Tutorials for beginners for hours. I started with all the unofficial Patches. works...

I installed ECE with CME Ygnord Race and all extensions. works... Random alternate start. works...

I searched a tutorial for installing FNIS, did everything as described but FNIS refuses to work. It either refuses to work completely or it can't find the behavior.hkx files or it can't find the creature package or a combination of all.

Can someone write up or show me a detailed step by step manual for dummies on how to install FNIS for MO?

Usually the first sentence of all tutorials I've found confuses me: "Step one: Install FNIS", but how? Install with NMM? Manual install? Install with MO? If install with MO, should I use the "set data directory" option or not? And after installing  FNIS Behavior how to install spell and creature package?

This is what I want to know and mean with detailed.

It would be super awesome if someone with more knowledge could help  me.

Thx in advance :heart:

Another problem appeared see post 7

In the right hand pane go to the Data tab. Scroll down to tools. Open the GenerateFNIS_for_Users. Right click the GenerateFNISforUers.exe and select Open/Execute.

You can also try selecting "Add as Executable" and then it will be in the application drop down list.  Though I cannot get it to run that way as I get an "invalid folder/path" error.  So I use the method above.

Well, I've only just upgraded to the latest version of MO, so I don't know if anything has changed regarding FNIS with that, but what I did with the previous versions was:

1) Manually install FNIS (and creature pack) into the Skyrim folder. So basically, download them, unzip the archives, then just copy/paste all the contents of each into the main skyrim folder (probably in ...steam/steamapps/common. Just make sure whatever's in the Data folder in the FNIS archives goes into the Data folder within your skyrim folder with the structure intact.)

2) Set up a pathway to GenerateFNISforUsers.exe through MO's application list. (Set the binary for the exe, which will be ...Skyrim/Data/tools/GenerateFNIS_for_Users/GenerateFNISforUsers.exe if you've installed FNIS correctly.)

3) Make sure the Overwrite folder in MO is empty. (Maybe not essential if you're only running one profile.)

4) Run the FNIS executable you set up through the drop-down list of applications in MO.

5) Let FNIS do its thing.

6) Once FNIS is done, close its window, then right click on your Overwrite mod, which will now contain the files generated by FNIS. Click Create Mod. Give it a name you'll recognise. (I use "Profile Name - FNIS." Again, not necessarily needed if you're only running one profile.)

7) If you did create a mod it will have appeared at the bottom of your mod list. Tick the box next to it and the FNIS files will now be applied to your game assuming you launch the game through MO. If you just leave it in your Overwrite mod it will still be applied, but will also get mixed in with all the other files Skyrim generates as you play the game normally. Not a problem if you aren't using multiple profiles, but it's probably safer to keep your FNIS files separate.)

That should do it. If you ever need to run FNIS again (because you add or remove animation mods that use it) just repeat steps 3) - 7) and drag and drop the generated files from your Overwrite mod to your FNIS mod, if that's what you decided to do before. Authorise the merging/overwriting of folders/files if asked.

This is what I do. It's not the only way, and may not be the best way, but it works for me.

Well, I've only just upgraded to the latest version of MO, so I don't know if anything has changed regarding FNIS with that, but what I did with the previous versions was:

1) Manually install FNIS (and creature pack) into the Skyrim folder. So basically, download them, unzip the archives, then just copy/paste all the contents of each into the main skyrim folder (probably in ...steam/steamapps/common. Just make sure whatever's in the Data folder in the FNIS archives goes into the Data folder within your skyrim folder with the structure intact.)

2) Set up a pathway to GenerateFNISforUsers.exe through MO's application list. (Set the binary for the exe, which will be ...Skyrim/Data/tools/GenerateFNIS_for_Users/GenerateFNISforUsers.exe if you've installed FNIS correctly.)

3) Make sure the Overwrite folder in MO is empty. (Maybe not essential if you're only running one profile.)

4) Run the FNIS executable you set up through the drop-down list of applications in MO.

5) Let FNIS do its thing.

6) Once FNIS is done, close its window, then right click on your Overwrite mod, which will now contain the files generated by FNIS. Click Create Mod. Give it a name you'll recognise. (I use "Profile Name - FNIS." Again, not necessarily needed if you're only running one profile.)

7) If you did create a mod it will have appeared at the bottom of your mod list. Tick the box next to it and the FNIS files will now be applied to your game assuming you launch the game through MO. If you just leave it in your Overwrite mod it will still be applied, but will also get mixed in with all the other files Skyrim generates as you play the game normally. Not a problem if you aren't using multiple profiles, but it's probably safer to keep your FNIS files separate.)

That should do it. If you ever need to run FNIS again (because you add or remove animation mods that use it) just repeat steps 3) - 7) and drag and drop the generated files from your Overwrite mod to your FNIS mod, if that's what you decided to do before. Authorise the merging/overwriting of folders/files if asked.

This is what I do. It's not the only way, and may not be the best way, but it works for me.

Wooohooo!! That did the trick! I installed the creature and spells packages with MO and thats why FNIS was not able to find them.

Thank you so much fo your help and everyone else too who answered :blush::heart::wub:

I just put the FNIS .exe files manually into Skyrim/data/tools, rezip the remainder of the mod then install it in MO as an archive. Then I added the generator tool's .exe as an executable.

Works perfectly. And this method makes updating FNIS a lot easier, too.

A new problem appeared:

I installed all mods and everything worked fine. Then I installed all my Loverslab mods ran FNIS, which produced an error and crashed and now everything is fucked up.

I start the SKSE shortcut FNIS starts instead

I start the LOOT shortcut FNIS starts instead

I start TES5edit shortcut FNIS starts instead

Creating new shortcuts and deleting/reinstalling FNIS doesn't work. wtf is happening?! :huh:

So you delete FNIS and it still starts? Demonic infestation?

Open your ModOrganizer.ini, go to the [customExecutables] section and look for demons. If you find one, eradicate them; if you don't, rename your ModOrganizer.ini to  ModOrganizer.ini.bak and start MO anew.

So you delete FNIS and it still starts? Demonic infestation?

Open your ModOrganizer.ini, go to the [customExecutables] section and look for demons. If you find one, eradicate them; if you don't, rename your ModOrganizer.ini to  ModOrganizer.ini.bak and start MO anew.

I looked into the ini and the arguments= line for LOOT, SKSE and TES5Edit are empty

TexBlend on the other hand got the full line with the file path and it works properly. It seems that this is the reason why FNIS starts everytime. No file path no launch. I ask myself why are the arguments empty? I will try this .bak thing and see what happens.

Arguments (=switches) aren't needed for LOOT, BOSS, SKSE, TES5Edit and for most programs. Dynamic Java patches, like Reproccer or ASIS, need them because they have to be run through javaw.exe. As for FNIS, at least in my case, MO won't run it directly but only through cmd.exe.

Arguments (=switches) aren't needed for LOOT, BOSS, SKSE, TES5Edit and for most programs. Dynamic Java patches, like Reproccer or ASIS, need them because they have to be run through javaw.exe. As for FNIS, at least in my case, MO won't run it directly but only through cmd.exe.

Thx for making that clear. Your advice with the .bak helped. Everything works but now skyrim crashes on start up. I think I will give up MO and try another solution.

Thx for making that clear. Your advice with the .bak helped. Everything works but now skyrim crashes on start up. I think I will give up MO and try another solution.

Don't quit MO. MO isn't the problem. That kind of crash is mod related.

Nah, too late, MO is too technical and complicated for me atm. Problems with FNIS, problems with YgNord textures, all this "set data directory" with every 2nd mod; sometimes 4-5 times per mod, create overwrite mod yes or no... No, I will wait until MO is more idiot friendly.

• 2 months later...

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by my switching to MO too. I haven't given up yet though. I tried Mord Sif's approach and it still gives me the same missing hkx file error.  It was working for me before.

I manually installed "fnis always necessary" and "fnis creature pack" into the skyrim data folder as well as installed it in MO. If I target (*addresses below) either to launch fnis within MO I get the same missing 1hm_behavioir.hkx  error.

Do you just leave fnis wherever LOOT puts it in the LO or do you have to move it to the bottom? It doesn't seem like either place helps.

One person said: it's better to install MO (in its folder) to the Skyrim folder to avoid some confusions.   It doesn't really confuse me so I wonder if he means it can be problematic for the program. 

E:\Program Files (x86)\Mod Organizer\mods\FNIS Behavior V5 1 1 -- ALWAYS necessary\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\GenerateFNISforUsers.exe
E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\GenerateFNISforUsers.exe

I've tried manually installing "FNIS always necessary" unzipped files straight into the Skyrim data folder and then run it through Mod Organizer to get it to work but that didn't help. I removed the fnis completely before trying this.

When I checked, the hks files are in MO's mod folder but fnis is looking in the game folder the error says it's missing from. Apparently it's not looking in MO's mod folders for it. The first one is from Ultimate Combat mod   1hm_behavior.hkx   

Is having MO installed in a separate location from the game folder problematic for the game?

If I uncheck Ultimate Combat then all my fnis errors go away.    I found I can have fnis-always necessary, fnis-spells, and fnis-creatures all installed in MO, or manually, it doesn't seem to matter as long as the executable is targeted in MO correctly (gears button in MO).   My huge issue seems to have been with Ultimate Combat. I would like to use Ultimate Combat so it would be nice to further resolve this but at least fnis will run without it.

This took me a long time to get some handle on. How fnis was installed had nothing to do with my fnis missing behavior errors. What mod gives you the option to install alternate animations for weapons? I thought I chose some recently and their not in XP32 skeleton I found out. Maybe it's just Ultimate Combat but that doesn't have those animation options. I think they're xp32 animations that are listed in fnis patches.

Archived