How do I save my external hard drive?

joe2006

One of my external hard drives has been givng me trouble for some time now. A few months ago my hard drive would not work on my computer until I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Sometimes I had to plugit in several times before it turned on. I began to realize that the hard drive might be failing and I got another external hard drive and put some of my stuff on it. I did not get everything on it and was planning to finish later. About a week ago the old hard drive quit working and I looked at the bottom of it and realized the USB adapter on the bottom of the hard drive could be removed. i Took it out and opened it up to see if anything inside it was broken. After carefully looking at the inside I saw that the wire that connected the USB hub to the circuit board was broken. I ordered me a new adapter. When it came I put it on my hard drive but nothing happens when I plug the USB cord into the computer. I see that it has power because the light that turns on when it is plugged in is on. I checked the device manager and it detects the hard drive but there is an error code 28. I tried just about everything I could think of to get it to work. Anybody know of anything else that might get this working?

A google search with "hard drive error code 28" gives plenty of answers. Most state it is a driver issue. You likely need to install the driver for the device that you are using (connected the hard drive to) in order for the computer to understand what to do with it. I would suggest you go to a electronic store. .. pick up a basic enclosure or even a usb hard drive recovery adapter (they are open to air basic devices you plug into the hard drive on one end and the USB into the computer on the other end.) these devices don't usually have driver for them.

Also make sure that your USB drivers are updated and proper.

Finally this should be a wake up call. Keep a minimum of three separate copies of your data  off of your computer. Then if one drive dies no problem. Just get another one and copy that data back. Do this and you will have a very difficult time loosing any data.  If you want to be even more secure. Take one copy to a relatives house or somewhere else so if there is a fire or other damage, thrift etc you will still have one copy of the data safe to restore again.

The three rules of data management.

Backup

Backup,

Backup,

edit forgot the link resource

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/349857/external-hard-drive-problem-error-code-28/

Archived