Blender for Fallout -- Mesh piece rendering too dark

I'm kind of at a loss here, which doesn't happen all that often. I'm working on a new outfit, and I'm having some trouble with the way the mesh and textures interact.

Here it is in nifskope.

bootsdark_zpscdf62bf1.jpg

The issue is with the boots. There should be no reason for them to be showing up that dark. It's using a custom texture, but the color of the boot leather in the texture file is maybe just a shade darker than the loincloth and tights. There is something in the mesh property that is making it much darker, and I can't figure out what. I've erased the material settings and completely re-done them, but it doesn't change anything. The boots are from vanilla resources, cut out from one of the merc outfits. I can always switch out the boots, but I like this one for this set, and I'd like to know why it's doing this in case I run across it again in the future.

Any ideas?

Archived