Vanilla quests breaking

Pfactor

I've got 3000+ hours in Skyrim, 250+hrs on this current character, lvl 160 or so.

I've played all the quests many times over so I know what should happen but for this iteration there are some bugs that don't seem to be working out.

1. I've killed Alduin but no one seems to notice. After I got warped out of Sovngarde back to the Throat of the World, Odahviing was the only dragon perched on the mountain, and he was doing NOTHING. I could not even talk to him. Normally there are many dragons there, they give a little speech then fly off. I don't see any of that. Even Achieve THAT! mod doesn't recognize that I killed Alduin and Parthunaax, but the Grey Beards do. Dragonslayer journal quest is complete.

2. Thief's quest. I do the intro quest for Brynjolf and he says to meet him in the Ragged Flagon but nothing happens. He's still walking around Riften in Fine clothes, is not in the Flagon and none of the other guild members want to talk to me. The Journal entry is gone.

3. I've done the special quest for the Markarth thaneship but I can't get dialogue to buy a house. I've done Cidna Mine and the find daddy's shield.. but the dialouge option to buy property only came up once but disappeared before I could click on it. I can't become a thane for Markarth.

4. After completing the Civil War quest line.. none of the rebel Jarls moved. Some of their family members ARE sitting in Windhelm. The Dawnstar, Riften and Winterhold Jarls are still sitting on their thrones with their advisors, but talk to me like they've been exiled.

I've been trying to use setstage to manually complete some of the quests but to no avail.

any advice?

Have you installed and then perhaps uninstalled any mods (including any unofficial patches) that modify those or related quests? If so, they might have changed one or two quest stages and/or variables which now prevent you from advancing in those quests.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/53045/?

check the papyrus analysis of your saved games.

Tried it, no perceptible change in my problems. A thousand script problems, but I didn't notice any difference after they were cleaned.

Have you installed and then perhaps uninstalled any mods (including any unofficial patches) that modify those or related quests? If so, they might have changed one or two quest stages and/or variables which now prevent you from advancing in those quests.

The only mod that did any sort of major quest change would be the Alternate Start, but I doubt anyone else has encountered these issues. I've not done anything to modify these quests directly. 

All that the savegame scaple managed to do was clear out my sexlab history.

I tried using the setstage to start the next thief's guild quest... well even though only 1 item has been complete, it's still stuck in my completed journal and dark. Same with "No Stone Left Uncovered" Barenzaia quest.

>:(

If you still have Alternate Start try uninstalling it. Alternate Start is a mod dangerous enough to cause such problems. If you really want to play the game from start to finish, the way it was designed by Bethesda, you really should minimize the use of mods that modify vanilla quests. Alternate Start is one of them.

You can also try loading up your entire load order with all your current mods in TES5Edit and see if there's any other mod that modify those quests.

BTW, I'd also advise against using any "unofficial" patches, those can definitely break a lot more than they actually fix.

Archived