NWN Adult Modules - A Shadow Over Torath (was Dragon Claw Inn Expanded)

Aliris

Wellp. Here's another update. Once again, nothing massive, but I've done all sorts of little things. There's one completable side quest now (a short one), that can be started by going near the gate in Castle Town. And there are a couple of new scenes.

I haven't done a lot of playtesting, because I've just finished building the side quest, and it's stupid o'clock so I'm going to sleep. It's quite possible that nothing will function as it should.

Edit: And straight away I realise that I forgot to create a rather important area transition. Uploading a new file. Hopefully this one is slightly less broken. Further inspection shows that some faction settings are also broken. I guess I'm not going to sleep quite yet.

Edit2: This is what I call "fixed enough".

Thirdpres, I tried contacting you long ago since I saw you came up with tons of cool ideas for Celeritas Eos. Back then I wanted to ask you if I could use some of your ideas for inspiration for my own module. Thats part of the reason I found the Celeritas demo a bit of a dissapointment, I hardly saw any ideas that you had posted on the bioware forum implemented. Its good to see that they are not lost at least.

Mrhandy12. Sorry I didn't see any pm from you back at the time. I'd have been happy to let you use versions of those ideas for your own. If there are specific ideas you like and want more just pm me and I'll try and help brainstorm up more.

I developed a feeling most of what I made for that module wasn't going to show up anywhere in that module.  8)

Thirdpres, I tried contacting you long ago since I saw you came up with tons of cool ideas for Celeritas Eos. Back then I wanted to ask you if I could use some of your ideas for inspiration for my own module. Thats part of the reason I found the Celeritas demo a bit of a dissapointment, I hardly saw any ideas that you had posted on the bioware forum implemented. Its good to see that they are not lost at least.

Just played the last (I think) update from you.  And at least from this last  run through, no Timmy's were harmed during my playtesting.  :)

Though I do have a few questions about that quest and other stuff.  So minor spoilers be lurking below here, maties.  Avast!

I got the little girl to run up to me and say, "save Timmy!"  And that was it.  No mention of where he was or where he might be.  I went outside and saw a tent there, but the entrance transition doesn't appear to be working.  So I roamed throughout the land and finally found the zombies that were holding Timmy.  And after I killed them, I found Timmy and he ran to the gates.  When I went back, I found the girl again and she still keeps saying, "Save TImmy!"  No acknowlegement that Timmy was saved.  Or maybe he did get eaten something else on the way back.  In which case, one Timmy might have been harmed during that game.  ;)

LIked the new stuff.  And hey, I got a dress now in my apartment!  Also like potential creepy downstairs neighbor guy too. Is the main quest guy to be found in the town or will that be added later? 

Didn't have any other major problems or faction issues.  Thanks again for the continued work on this mod!  Shaping up rather well, I think.

Just played the last (I think) update from you.  And at least from this last  run through, no Timmy's were harmed during my playtesting.  :)

Though I do have a few questions about that quest and other stuff.  So minor spoilers be lurking below here, maties.  Avast!

I got the little girl to run up to me and say, "save Timmy!"  And that was it.  No mention of where he was or where he might be.  I went outside and saw a tent there, but the entrance transition doesn't appear to be working.  So I roamed throughout the land and finally found the zombies that were holding Timmy.  And after I killed them, I found Timmy and he ran to the gates.  When I went back, I found the girl again and she still keeps saying, "Save TImmy!"  No acknowlegement that Timmy was saved.  Or maybe he did get eaten something else on the way back.  In which case, one Timmy might have been harmed during that game.  ;)

LIked the new stuff.  And hey, I got a dress now in my apartment!  Also like potential creepy downstairs neighbor guy too. Is the main quest guy to be found in the town or will that be added later? 

Didn't have any other major problems or faction issues.  Thanks again for the continued work on this mod!  Shaping up rather well, I think.

I opened the module with the toolset to perv it a bit and saw no mention of that guy anywhere (I forgot his name) so I'm pretty sure it's not done yet.

The main quest guy isn't found anywhere yet. And the little girl is supposed to have a short dialogue with you. Apparently there's a script to be examined... Might have forgotten to remove a bit that didn't end up working. Basically, if you don't get a quest called "The Ravenous Dead", something goes wrong.

After re-reading (and not just skimming) what you wrote, I realise that the quest actually worked. Woopsie. Check the journal. There's a hint about where you're supposed to go (and by hint, I mean it straight up tells you). Also, it seems apparent that I need to add a bit of dialogue prodding the player in the correct direction after Timmy is saved.

Will perhaps go back to a prior save then and see if perhaps I clicked too quickly or something.  Since yeah, I didn't get the original Ravenous Dead quest.  It was only acknowledged in my quest journal once I finally found/rescued Timmy.

Did find drunk guy in my wanderings.  Another nice little addition. 

And not to hijack this too much (I hope), but good to see you again @Thirdpres!  And too bad Celeritas Eos isn't using most of your ideas.  Was a bit disappointed in them when they decided to move away from more of the adult stuff.  I mean, come on guys.... you all have been working on that mod for literally years...you can't take a little more time to include a bit more adult material?  Sigh...

Anyway...carry on..

Will perhaps go back to a prior save then and see if perhaps I clicked too quickly or something.  Since yeah, I didn't get the original Ravenous Dead quest.  It was only acknowledged in my quest journal once I finally found/rescued Timmy.

It should work if you've managed to save Timmy from zombies. Though I still have to take a look at the little girl. The local variable, needed to be set to complete the quest, is changed to the right value when you talk to Timmy. So no need to go back to an old save.

I was just going back to the old save to see if I could get the quest to start with.  I just played though that prior save and clicked on the area.  The girl runs towards me, but gives me no other info other than "Please save Timmy!" and I get the End of Dialog option and that is it.

Yeah, it does complete after I rescue him, but for some reason it's not giving me the quest initially.

I was just going back to the old save to see if I could get the quest to start with.  I just played though that prior save and clicked on the area.  The girl runs towards me, but gives me no other info other than "Please save Timmy!" and I get the End of Dialog option and that is it.

Yeah, it does complete after I rescue him, but for some reason it's not giving me the quest initially.

Oh damn. Something is seriously broken then. The quest shouldn't be completing at stage 2. There's still a third phase to it where you go to the graveyard. And the girl is supposed to have three or four lines of dialogue.

Also, the zombies shouldn't spawn unless you have the quest. And Timmy shouldn't have the quest dialogue without having the quest. Debugging time, hoo!

Edit: Yep. It's broken. I have no idea why. This'll be fun. And the zombie spawn isn't correctly checking for the correct variable to be set.

Update: Well here's a version that should work. Also some changes to the HAK nr. 1. Mainly some clothing bits scavenged from acog. Anyways, having played through the current content with a newly created character, everything should function... And when inevitable things don't, I'll have a bit of a cry.

ModdedASoT005d.7z

Oh damn. Something is seriously broken then. The quest shouldn't be completing at stage 2. There's still a third phase to it where you go to the graveyard. And the girl is supposed to have three or four lines of dialogue.

Also, the zombies shouldn't spawn unless you have the quest. And Timmy shouldn't have the quest dialogue without having the quest. Debugging time, hoo!

the zombies didnt spawn until i had the quest, so i didnt notice anything wrong with that

What Menatv probably ment was, that you get a quest update after you saved Timmy. but you dont get one initially when the girl asks you.

I found a slight bug with the drunk man behind the tavern.

after the encounter. if you go to the spot where he was initially, you'll get stuck

Good to know about the drunk encounter. Seems that the script to start the conversation fires again, which it shouldn't.

I've uploaded a new version, in my previous post, in which Annalise should work as intended. But if you managed to make it to Alfred in the previous version, there's very little point in trying this one.

Thanks menatv.

I'll probably be around off and on. I'm going to try and get some playtesting done for this module either this weekend or next week. There is a ton of stuff going on in the next four-five days so it is hard to say when I'll get around to playing the module. Lots of updates going on too.

I maybe will help write stuff up for this project if there is demand for it.

It was weird working on EoS. They didn't provide much information to go on and it would be 2-4 weeks inbetween them contacting me with little feedback other then to ask for more content with a few requests about what ought to be in the content and a little bit of direction. I don't want to get off topic too much but I eventually felt that they were not going to use much of anything and that the direction of the project wasn't going anywhere that I'd enjoy all that much.

Too bad. It had potential.

Thinking about this project has left me wondering if anyone would work on Harri T. Polsa's old module Arandie. I help him beta test, give feedback, and development of ideas/quests for that module way back in the first year of NWN. For NWN modules it is a little dated in terms of ideas (no real companions), area design a bit big, but it is a very fun sandbox kind of module. All kinds of odds and ends to check out and enjoy.

Arandie doesn't get mentioned as much as some of the other projects I worked on like ADK's (Kunoichi) and EricZeornWarlock's (Blackwall Keep) series, as examples.

Did find drunk guy in my wanderings.  Another nice little addition. 

And not to hijack this too much (I hope), but good to see you again @Thirdpres!  And too bad Celeritas Eos isn't using most of your ideas.  Was a bit disappointed in them when they decided to move away from more of the adult stuff.  I mean, come on guys.... you all have been working on that mod for literally years...you can't take a little more time to include a bit more adult material?  Sigh...

Anyway...carry on..

@Thirdpres:  Glad you're still going to be staying around here -- albeit as time allows for you.  And those modules you listed are some of my favorites too.   So I'd definitely say CE's descision not to use most of your ideas are most certainly their loss.

Back to the OP's nicely shaping up Torath game.  The Timmy quest seems to be working just fine now.  Go the quest as I should, and finished it.  And got the acknowledgement from the girl that Timmy did get back safely.  So I'd say it be fixed.

I did have a minor issue with the drunk.  I chose the "stay slient" open.  Had my poor PC so shocked she didn't know what to do.  Anyway, with the "stay silent" option, I didn't have any further dialog options.  The conversation just ended.   And the screen area remained under that darkness cloud thing.  Clicking on him did restart the convo tree again.  But thought I'd mention it and see if anyone else had an issue with that sequence if they chose to "stay silent".

I did have a minor issue with the drunk.  I chose the "stay slient" open.  Had my poor PC so shocked she didn't know what to do.  Anyway, with the "stay silent" option, I didn't have any further dialog options.  The conversation just ended.   And the screen area remained under that darkness cloud thing.  Clicking on him did restart the convo tree again.  But thought I'd mention it and see if anyone else had an issue with that sequence if they chose to "stay silent".

That was actually just another case of me forgetting to do something. The "stay silent" option wasn't linked to a response. I keep doing that.

This mod look like it could be fun but it's kind of hard to get a sense of just what is supposed to happen.

Can you give a list of scenes or events and what should happen in each? You don't have to be detailed just a line or two.

There are a total of four scenes that I've added. And then there's Aliris' stuff in the Salty Dolphin and the docks. I will not give a list of scenes though. I find that NWN modules are best enjoyed when you don't actually know the limitations of what might happen. And despite it's infancy, this might be an actual complete module some day... Maybe.

Update: WEE! I've managed to corrupt my module. So I've lost a bunch of progress on it. Luckily, I have a backup. And also luckily, I've been slacking off massively due to Dragon age 3. But I did lose an almost functioning whoring system in the docks :,(.

• 2 weeks later...

After quite a bit of time spent trying to make scripts not completely break the module, I've come to a conclusion. I haven't got the simplest idea about what I'm doing.

So I'm kind learning C. Because NWScript is heavily based on it. Also, because why the hell not? But the point is, it might be a while before there's another update.

First of all, I think you've done quite well for someone who didn't know what they were doing at first.  And I'm glad you are learning C and will at some point continue work on the module. 

Best of luck to you with your C studies!  Look forward to future updates when you feel ready to go back to work on the mod.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi tovi, I hope you're making good progress.
Anyway, I have some experience with the nwtoolset and have helped out with various modules, so if you run into any issues that you just can't seem to fix (trust me, we've all been there many times) feel free to send me a message and I'll take a look at it.
Besides that, good job so far! It looks like quite an interesting project.

Archived