IGNORED

Mod Optimization before realase

Versh

Hello,

My apologize for my english, hope is understandable (and also i ask you to speak easy as possible :P)

I'm working on a mod to post here on the LL, but in order to do so.. i would ask what are the correct "checking" list to do before realase ANY type of mod...

The only i know is to Run Tes5Edit apply filter for cleaning then fix any issues and remove garbage data

Other things to do before packing all for a friendly install file?

Any other advice in general?

If you have textures ---> optmize them. You can do it with that tool:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/13529/?

Meshes should be optimized / sanitized in Nifskope if applicable.

In Tes5Edit, do the "Check for errors" option. That doesn't reveal every little error but points you to the most obvious ones.

Apart from that it's hard to say since I don't know what kind of mod you made. If there are scripts in it, make sure you have some option to end the scripts (in MCM or so) that gives users the option to end the scripts if they want to uninstall the mod. Cannot say how that is done though because I know nothing about scripting.

Don't know how others see it, but I avoid BSAs and almost always unpack mods in BSAs before installing to have a look at the files myself. To offer both a BSA and a loose file version therefore surely is user friendly, though not an obligation of course.

The most important check however is to test the mod in your game. Thoroughly. A few hours of gameplay at least.

The mod is about a new cell, and some scripted mechanic applied to the new location... SL, zaz animation etc.

So Script, some Texture, Mesh, Package, quest ect.

The mesh are simply duplicate of the existent, so i think there's no need to optimize that... but texture, some are new so i'll follow your advice

About the uninstalling i think it is sufficient to stop All the quest related to the mod... i'm wrong?

About the uninstalling i think it is sufficient to stop All the quest related to the mod... i'm wrong?

That would be a question for someone more skilled in scripting. From what I know, orphan, unattached  threads that belong to the mods script(s) should be avoided at any cost after the mod had been uninstalled. Savegame bloat, CTDs and that stuff.

Guest corespore

That would be a question for someone more skilled in scripting. From what I know, orphan, unattached  threads that belong to the mods script(s) should be avoided at any cost after the mod had been uninstalled. Savegame bloat, CTDs and that stuff.

Correct, any scripts that are not terminated after a mod is un-installed will cause issues later on. They will continue to run and eventually cause a corrupt save file due to bloating. This only applies to scripts that do not end before the mod is un-installed. I do not build mods that require scripts, but the skyrim technical support may be a good place to post a forum topic, or search for one, asking a mod maker that has experience with scripts how to build an un-install file within the mod that will stop all scripts when selected. This will make your mod safe to un-install.  

Archived