Question About Mod Organizer

Aveck

So, i've modded my whole Skyrim with NMM. I've always satisfied with it.

My modding "philosophy" was to make the game fun and easy-going, mostly because i was focusing on adult-themed mods.

Recently i wanted to try a more "deep" and hardcore style and i've found a lot of game overhauls that allows you to do that, but i can't install them because there aren't reversible.
So i tought "how do i make 2 modded skyrim? Mod Organizer". I already know how the MO works, but since i've modded the whole game with NMM, my question is:

Does Mod Organizer have a feature that he can "understand" what mods i've installed and separate them as if they were installed with MO in the first place?
If not, does anybody know a workaround? 

Guest IAmTheOneWhoKnocks

There's a button that transfers all of your mods from NMM to MO. Click the Jigsaw button at the top and then click on NMM Import

There's a button that transfers all of your mods from NMM to MO. Click the Jigsaw button at the top and then click on NMM Import

thanks, but does that make them as if they were installed with MO in the first place?

Yeah, it installs the mods into MO. You can then copy your saves from /documents/my games/Skyrim/ (the .ess files, not the .skse files) and paste them into the save tab on Mod Organizer. If mods are missing MO will tell you what it is.

You can also hit the top/left button in MO (to install from an archive) and point it at the mods in NMM's mod folder since NMM keeps the archives in it's own folder.

There is a decent thread about MO in the Skyrim Non Adult section. Check it out.

One thing to keep in mind, though. You will probably want to reinstall Skyrim in a clean state as well. No sense in having the Skyrim folder all dirtied up while using MO. Part of MO's allure is the fact it keeps that folder clean and in a fresh vanilla state. Welcome to better modding with a TON more control.

Yeah, it installs the mods into MO. You can then copy your saves from /documents/my games/Skyrim/ (the .ess files, not the .skse files) and paste them into the save tab on Mod Organizer. If mods are missing MO will tell you what it is.

You can also hit the top/left button in MO (to install from an archive) and point it at the mods in NMM's mod folder since NMM keeps the archives in it's own folder.

There is a decent thread about MO in the Skyrim Non Adult section. Check it out.

One thing to keep in mind, though. You will probably want to reinstall Skyrim in a clean state as well. No sense in having the Skyrim folder all dirtied up while using MO. Part of MO's allure is the fact it keeps that folder clean and in a fresh vanilla state. Welcome to better modding with a TON more control.

thank you very much

do you have a tip on how i can create a "fresh install" of skyrim but at the same time having my "old modded install" at hand in case things screw up with MO that doesn't require to re-download the whole game?

You could just copy/move the skyrim folder then download fresh from Steam. Grab that sucker and throw in on your desktop if nothing else, then move it back to the Steam directory if needed.

You'll find a slight learning curve with MO, but in the end it's well worth it. I just started a 5th profile yesterday and my Skyrim folder is clean as a whistle (besides a few things that need to go in the root folder, like SKSE, SweetFX, controller emulator...that sort of stuff that doesn't go into /data/).

To help wrap your head around MO just remember that is a virtual DATA folder. Anything that would go into /data/ goes into MO. Stuff that goes a level above /data/. in the root folder, still gets manually placed into the root folder. This is how MO keeps your install clean. It keeps mods outside the Skyrim folder. I could launch a completely vanilla game with the Skyrim launcher right now if I wanted to. :D

Archived