Converting Models (Sfm, Gmod, Etc.) Hard? Impossible?

Derethevil

Hi there.

I've seen so many models appearing lately for Source Filmmaker, that i thought about looking for a conversion to have them as a follower or race.

The bad thing is, i dont know nothing about conversion or its even possible to achieve.

What i could imagine is how it might have no real skeleton for its own and animations have to be redone for them.

But if it is possible and not to hard to achieve and on top of that i dont really need expensive software for it, i might give it a shot.

Or maybe there even is someone who are already doing conversions or someone who knows someone.

Please let me know and thanks in advance.

Derethevil.

It's not as hard as you think it is.

There are tools to import models made for SFM, GMOD and any other relative application, you just have to search for it and know what you're looking for which in your case will be an importer script.

You need Blender or 3DS Max, blender is free while 3DS Max costs money (except for the student license).

I am biased on the software because I've been using 3DS Max for awhile and got used to it much easier than blender.

The process of converting a model you find online to a Skyrim armor/follower/race isn't too difficult. It takes a little patience.

Some models are harder to convert than others but you'll find it easier the more you do it.

The main thing that you will be doing is fitting the model onto the Skyrim skeleton.

The process takes a little time, there are tutorials for it on youtube that you should check out if you decide to do this.

It's sort of like a step-by-step operation:

1.) Import the Skyrim skeleton.nif and models/meshes for male/female body/hands/feet/head

2.) Import the model/mesh you would like to convert

3.) Resize/position the model/mesh to fit the scale of Skyrim's body

4.) Rotate parts of Skyrim's skeleton to fit the pose of the model/mesh you're trying to convert.

5.) Skin wrap model with Skyrim's male/female body/hands/feet/head

6.) Check animations to see if model moves properly, if not then fix skinning

7.) Export skinned model

8.) Fix texture paths and update UV numsets (for normal map) on the model file

9.) Insert into Skyrim through the Creation Kit (as armor/follower/race etc.)

These are of course very vague and you should definitely have a read through proper tutorials before you embark on this quest because you don't want to bump into unexpected errors, it can make it very frustrating. So check the tutorial section here or go to NightasyTutorials for 3ds max tutorials. I don't know of any blender video tutorials but give it a search anyway.

I made a video of me converting a simple model of Sephiroth from the Final Fantasy series as a playermodel in Skyrim.

Here's the video, you can skim through to get the jist of it.

Thank you very much.

I will see what i can achieve with it, as soon as im home from my... well... i dont know how gets called in english...

If im away from my job. Assembly?

Well as soon as im home again in a few days, i will try my best to get what i want. Maybe i can even ask for permission to share it with everyone here.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried to start with it a bit now, since this will take some time until im finished with my job here. And already got the first problem. I cant find a tool for Blender that imports .mdl files.

Any suggestions?

Found something. 

I was able to import it into Blender. Now i'll try to set all the UV's so it actually has a skin. Then im looking into rigging it into the Skyrim Skeleton.... I just can say... digitigrade.... I guess i might fail on this, but i'll try.

I'll do my best. Spend yesterday nearly 4 hours just to somehow import it to Blender. Might try to actually rig it to the Skyrim skeleton. As far as i know i can just rig the skeleton through the digitigrade feet. I didnt see anyone making the Skyrim skeleton to actually use those feet in a style so they actually move them like they should, but loosing them would be unacceptable.

Doing this with no basic knowdledge and for the first time now. So you might say its not that hard (which i can confirm, because otherwise there wouldnt be many arround here in the community, who can do it) but its still something ive never done before. :)

I could tell someone to actually do this, or even wait until someone from that side does it, but then i would never have such a chance to learn this.

I mean i did some model editing a few years ago. But nearly nothing like i want to do now. 

Sad thing is im not allowed to share the models... 

I'll do my best. Spend yesterday nearly 4 hours just to somehow import it to Blender. Might try to actually rig it to the Skyrim skeleton. As far as i know i can just rig the skeleton through the digitigrade feet. I didnt see anyone making the Skyrim skeleton to actually use those feet in a style so they actually move them like they should, but loosing them would be unacceptable.

Doing this with no basic knowdledge and for the first time now. So you might say its not that hard (which i can confirm, because otherwise there wouldnt be many arround here in the community, who can do it) but its still something ive never done before. :)

I could tell someone to actually do this, or even wait until someone from that side does it, but then i would never have such a chance to learn this.

I mean i did some model editing a few years ago. But nearly nothing like i want to do now. 

There's a skeleton on Nexus that properly uses digigrade feet.

There's a skeleton on Nexus that properly uses digigrade feet.

Thanks for your advice. Im going to test some things now, since... whats sleep anyway? My bed calls me, but my brain is like a waterfall.

I simply cant import the skeleton.nif... Im trying this an hour now, but nothing. Just says simply Python Error. Something about a BSBoneLODExtraData he cant import. Nothing on the internet. Google... no one knows anything. 

Is Blender really this bad? Or just underdeveloped? 

Deleted it now and got it imported. Now i just have to figure out how to rotate shoulders etc. without just spinning those selected verts arround.

Archived