Bodyslide Causes Neck/Wrist Gaps from Working Mesh? Need Help.

elktrue

I am trying to creating a new body mesh based off of cbbe, and I have two problems which I cannot seem to find the answer to.

-First, whenever I import a nif into OS it seems that a neck/wrist gap is created, just from the act of importing. I have checked this by importing a "working" (no gaps) nif, not touching anything, and then exporting said nif.

-Second, when exporting a nif from blender (2.49b) the skin partitions seem to not export correctly. They seem to just randomly generate around where there are bone weights. How can I correctly export skin partitions and/or is there a work around?

If anyone knows how to deal with either of these issues please let me know. The help is appreciated.

The gaps are most likely happening because your skin on the 'working' nif are in fact 'improper' in that they do not deform your mesh with the skin modifier.

I have no idea how the hell this happened but for whatever reason, OS will apply skin transforms on your nif even if it is 'weighted' correctly and further scale it down.

This annoying issue has been delaying my project and is even now causing me stress and headaches....

If you find a way around it then good luck...

(P.S. Every single mesh does this for whatever the hell reason and it is apparently the new 'standard' in skinning meshes in skyrim :dodgy: )

Sorry can't help with Blender, as I do not use the program.

Turns out all I had to do was uncheck Shape -> Smooth Seam Normals and it was fixed for me

Not sure if that helps (or even relates) to the issue with your project, but I hope it does.

Btw what program do you use? 3ds Max? Just wondering if there was anything more powerful (for meshes) than nifskope to work with nifs in native format.

Thanks for the help again.

Turns out all I had to do was uncheck Shape -> Smooth Seam Normals and it was fixed for me

Not sure if that helps (or even relates) to the issue with your project, but I hope it does.

Btw what program do you use? 3ds Max? Just wondering if there was anything more powerful (for meshes) than nifskope to work with nifs in native format.

Thanks for the help again.

I use max to export out nifs.

Most of my 'mesh' work is in that or Mudbox.

Interesting smooth seam normals fixes a neck mesh seam, or was this more a texture seam?

tl;dr I jumped the gun... didn't actually fix it...

I spent some more time looking at it and the only working "solution" i could find was to replace the OS generated nif with the "working" on after saving the project. All this really does is transfer sliders (no mesh edits, obviously)

As far as actually fixing the root of the problem, I think I might be able to figure it out if I better understood what the hell is going on.

So a few questions. (A lot of it may be me misunderstanding terminology)

-What exactly do you mean by "skin modifier"?

-What do you mean by "skin transforms"?

-How do .obj files factor into all of this? (e.g. what about a shape with no existing weights?)

tl;dr I jumped the gun... didn't actually fix it...

I spent some more time looking at it and the only working "solution" i could find was to replace the OS generated nif with the "working" on after saving the project. All this really does is transfer sliders (no mesh edits, obviously)

As far as actually fixing the root of the problem, I think I might be able to figure it out if I better understood what the hell is going on.

So a few questions. (A lot of it may be me misunderstanding terminology)

-What exactly do you mean by "skin modifier"?

-What do you mean by "skin transforms"?

-How do .obj files factor into all of this? (e.g. what about a shape with no existing weights?)

Ughh the LL changes are throwing me off a bit but here:

1. Skin Modifier = 3dsMax terms for weighting the nif

2. Skin Transforms = The skinning of the object causes it to 'jump' because bone scales in XPMS skeletons are not all 1 for whatever the hell reason. This causes an inconsistency in how your mesh is deformed with animation weights. This is the main issue with neck gaps and all that crap

3. ? OBJ's don't factor into this.

If your debugging this thing right now, you can try jopping in on the IRC link on my sig and I can answer any further Q's you might have.

Or you might be able to answer mine xD

Archived