Could someone fix this object (mesh) once and for all?

Fredas

A somewhat old and now somewhat unavailable mod called Manure introduced an in-game object which was subsequently utilized in at least two other mods.  But for all that time, the actual object has been essentially broken.  The physics are bizarre, causing the object to float around like it was nudged in freefall.  The collision object is thoroughly the wrong shape, and may also be the wrong scale and at the wrong offset.  The in-game result is that the object sort of fidgets in place with about 80% of the mesh clipping underground.

I know there are folks out there for whom setting up a proper collision mesh and rendering an adequately usable Skyrim object is a streamlined process that takes almost no time.  Conveniently, this particular object is already Skyrim-compliant, further reducing the effort.

I already invested an entire free week, some months ago, trying to wrap my head around the process, but it's just not adequately documented and the tools are nonexistent.  I admit defeat: I am not an expert.  So I'm hoping someone will lend a hand.

The object can be found as the lone mesh in Puppet Master.  It's also available in Private Needs.  And also below:

clutter.7z

This is the guide I tried to follow:

http://niftools.sourceforge.net/wiki/Skyrim/Adding_Collision_Mesh_using_ChunkMerge

It's old, and assumes a heck of a lot of knowledge on the reader's part.  I'd also be willing to swear that it left some important data out, since I never had any success.  As such it is unsuitable as a how-to, and certainly I'd love to have my vacation week back after having squandered it trying to figure out why things weren't working.  But maybe it would be of use to folks who do actually know the ins and outs of the apps it discusses.

You Can try this one which i redid in Chunk Merge, I have no Way to test if it works , so you will have to test .

Thanks.  I tried it out.  The results are a bit like deja vu. ;p  The object has no physics at all, so it floats unmoving in place, and even completely resists efforts to move it in space.

I actually had similar results back when I gave it a go.  And in NifSkope the results were also similar, with a collision object seeming not to have vertices at all.  In place of what should be the bhkConvexVerticesShape, there's some bhkMoppBvTreeShape tree I've never heard of.  Anyway it's clear Skyrim doesn't know what to do with it. ;p

I do thank you for taking the time, though.  I'm hopeful that this little project will catch the whim of more folks with Skyrim mesh experience.

Thanks.  I tried it out.  The results are a bit like deja vu. ;p  The object has no physics at all, so it floats unmoving in place, and even completely resists efforts to move it in space.

I actually had similar results back when I gave it a go.  And in NifSkope the results were also similar, with a collision object seeming not to have vertices at all.  In place of what should be the bhkConvexVerticesShape, there's some bhkMoppBvTreeShape tree I've never heard of.  Anyway it's clear Skyrim doesn't know what to do with it. ;p

I do thank you for taking the time, though.  I'm hopeful that this little project will catch the whim of more folks with Skyrim mesh experience.

you want it to roll around ? when touched or kicked like other items ?

you want it to roll around ? when touched or kicked like other items ?

In a way, yes.  I don't mean like an apple or a cabbage, which would go rolling forever, but yes I do mean the idea is to have physics and a reasonably accurate collision mesh attached to this object.  Havok would take care of the rest.  The irregular shape of the object (meaning the shape of its collision mesh) would prevent it rolling uncontrollably and keep it more or less in place, similar to, say, a dropped grand soul gem.

Private Needs and Puppet Master both make use of animations tailored for this purpose, but the state of the physics on the item means it appears basically half into the ground and then shakes about like a dead NPC whose leg got caught in the terrain.

Edit: In actuality it would probably be ideal if the object could be set up so that it does not get kicked around by the player, and only interacts with the terrain and other objects (and player manipulation), but I feel safe in assuming that such a distinction is beyond the capabilities of the game's engine.

Its not too hard to do , It means Messing around with the Nif collision variables and testing it in game  ,I dont have skyrim to mess around with . At first i thought the Nif collision was a problem , the collision is fine .  

You can Try this one , I messed around with the nif without blender and changed some properties .

poops1.nif

Cheers

Alright.  Thanks again for continuing to mess with this.

There wasn't any change in the object's behavior; it sits immobile and unmovable.  I'm just hazard a guess, but it seems like the object has no collision mesh.  Certainly nothing is visible in NifSkope's render window besides the base object.  Every other object I've examined has had the following collision tree:

bhkCollisionObject

bhkRigidBody

bhkConvexVerticesShape  <-- Corresponds to the collision mesh

The new object here has the following:

bhkCollisionObject

bhkRigidBody

bhkMoppBvTreeShape

bhkCompressedMeshShape

bhkCompressedMeshShapeData  <-- Has vertices data but it's single three-digit integers rather than X,Y,Z floats

Again I am reminded of my past exploits with the aforementioned guide. ;p

Alright.  Thanks again for continuing to mess with this.

There wasn't any change in the object's behavior; it sits immobile and unmovable.  I'm just hazard a guess, but it seems like the object has no collision mesh.  Certainly nothing is visible in NifSkope's render window besides the base object.  Every other object I've examined has had the following collision tree:

bhkCollisionObject

bhkRigidBody

bhkConvexVerticesShape  <-- Corresponds to the collision mesh

The new object here has the following:

bhkCollisionObject

bhkRigidBody

bhkMoppBvTreeShape

bhkCompressedMeshShape

bhkCompressedMeshShapeData  <-- Has vertices data but it's single three-digit integers rather than X,Y,Z floats

Again I am reminded of my past exploits with the aforementioned guide. ;p

Maybe when I get skyrim Installed again , I would try 

Cheers

Maybe when I get skyrim Installed again , I would try 

Cheers

Recently I determined that half of the problem can be solved by fiddling with NifSkope, as you were doing.  The physics of the object, by default, dampen motion to the point that the in-game result is very artificial.  Tweaking some variables can cause the object to respond like other objects in the game.

Unfortunately that leaves the far more complex problem of the collision mesh, which is 100% wrong for this object.  Wrong size, wrong shape, wrong position.  It's the reason why the object generally winds up poking almost entirely into the ground.  That is something I don't have a chance of fixing.

So, definitely, effort on that front is what's needed. ;p

Archived