Is my laptop dying?

So, I decided to reinstall Oblivion on my laptop, but I'm currently encountering a weird issue: In some populated area, sometimes, the NPCs just disappear then the game froze itself. Is this an indication that my graphic card ran out of VRAM? Or my laptop can no longer handle Oblivion? (Since 3 years ago it ran Oblivion just fine with the same setup of mods). I have had a couple of BSODs lately on this laptop also. So, the big question: Is this an indication that my graphic or my laptop as a whole is dying, and I should find a replacement quick?

Is the fan makes an unusual noise?

Does your laptop heats more than usual ?

Fan doesn't make a lot of noise. But yeah, laptop heats more than usual, which is weird because I cleaned the heatsink & fan just 2 months ago.\

Laptop age is 4 years old.

Your GPU is Overheating More than it Used to , Like mine .

You need to find alternatives to provide cooling to your GPU and CPU , Cleaning out the dust should be a good start , Cooling Pad the second and if all else fails underclock your card to check if the freezing occurs.

Cheers

If the GPU temp is actually the issue - which still is blind guesswork, given how vague and unclear the OP question is, because of lack of information - if the GPU is the prob, which you should first check by DLing a program to show GPU temperature (SIW does that, among many other things), then it might also be the case, that the thermal paste has degraded. Thermal paste is a general problem for laptops anyways, because for unexplainable reasons, OEMs usually apply it thinner than paper, and often not covering the entire chip.

Of course, you can't know without taking the laptop apart, and doing so is a scary adventure to begin with, for most laptop models. Often, one really has to remove almost everything, even the screen and drives, to get at the heatpipes and chips.

Archived