Dark Souls II

Lovely Rose

Not sure why this thread got so silent,

I stopped getting on the site. XD

well sorta

Kinda same XD anyways, I say get the game, its hard, which is good, the places i have been so far all looks great, lot of variety.

• 3 weeks later...

Mixed feelings about this.  Moving the jump to Left Stick, that was a bad decision.  It was fine where it was.  The graphics seem weird, like something's missing.  Maybe it's the palette or something else, who knows, can't really put my finger on it.  It also doesn't feel as oppressive.  Sure it's an overall better port (if you don't count the many people who can't get it to run apparently) but I don't know.  It's not impressive so far imo.  Also, it'd have been nice if there was a Go Offline button instead of having to block it through the firewall in order to play offline.  I mean, since it IS an option, might as well have it as an option.

You can change the jump controls. Well you can on PS3 so I am pretty sure you can change it on the PC as well. Lol you cant choose if you want to play offline? Unfortunately I cant relate to that, but thats pretty dumb yeah :s

Coop and pvp feels and play a lot better in DS2 but most bosses are waaay to easy which is sad, but i think fromsoft pretty much wanted players to carry onto Ng+, several bosses are different on Ng+.

^ Damn you must be a hardcore keyboard+mouse guy to attempt playing dark souls without a controller, I've never even heard of anyone doing that o.O

The delayed pc port has been a blessing in disguise for me, no way I would pass the rest of my exams if it had come out a month ago  :lol:

<---- *no self control*

So after playing the full game (PC, with Xbox 360 controller) for 3 hours now, at this point, I think the game's great! Watching beta footage made me really nervous when it came to the movement and character control, but those issues aren't present. While DS2 isn't as sharp and snappy in the roll directions as DS, it still works fine. The best improvement is of course, optimization, the game has been running fantastic so far. Couple minor complaints though:

-No fast roll? It seems as though there isn't a fast/quick roll anymore. From what I've played so far, there's only two now, the medium roll, and the fat roll.

-Some enemies have attacks that are annoyingly hard to see, namely the spear hollows.

-Animations are a bit poorer in this game, namely the animation for receiving a hit with poise broken. It's short and can easily get you stun-locked, even by NPC enemies. You also have to wait for strong attack animations to finish before initiating a normal attack, unlike in the first game, where you could, and it was more fluid.

-Locations so far aren't that interesting. Majula is nice and all but I can't put it above good ol' Firelink. The Starting area and the Forest of the Giants were decent in design, but nothing extraordinary. Here's hoping to better areas in the future.

-The lighting quality seems to have been downgraded in DS2. In the original, the lighting made the world feel a lot more dangerous and scary. In DS2, at least what I've seen so far, the lighting is just a lot more tame and bland, somewhat similar to Dragon Age 2 (though not as bad). For example, when fighting the first boss, the arena was partially basked in sunlight which made the whole thing a little less threatening. Even the Undead Burg in the first game, while not the most memorable in its uniqueness, was enhanced by Dark Soul's awesome lighting.

Other than that, I am really enjoying this game. 

@bob11, you can change the jump function back to the B button if you're using an Xbox controller. It's in one of the options menus. 

You can change the jump controls. Well you can on PS3 so I am pretty sure you can change it on the PC as well. Lol you cant choose if you want to play offline? Unfortunately I cant relate to that, but thats pretty dumb yeah :s

Coop and pvp feels and play a lot better in DS2 but most bosses are waaay to easy which is sad, but i think fromsoft pretty much wanted players to carry onto Ng+, several bosses are different on Ng+.

Yeah, I forgot to edit that, I watched a video and I missed that option, so yeah, rebinding that is a plus in the end xP

The biggest issue I've had so far with PvP is that some covenants are as lame (or even lamer) than the DS1 Forest Covenant, ie the Bell covenant, you get ganked by not only phantoms but some ridiculous dwarves that do elemental dmg, probably dark, which I can't block effectively.

I think this guy says it best 

These are pretty much all the issues I have with it.  It's sad but, apart from the graphics and the better port, I prefer DS1 in most aspects.  And rehashing bosses from DS1... That's lame, From, really lame. "Old Dragonslayer"... Come on now, he was a bitch, but he was a memorable bitch.  Now he doesn't even have a name.

-No fast roll? It seems as though there isn't a fast/quick roll anymore. From what I've played so far, there's only two now, the medium roll, and the fat roll.

Your dodge distance changes with your weight. You do fat roll if you are above 70% weight, you do quick roll if you are below that, but the lighter you are, the further you roll. Try doing a roll naked and you will see what I mean. Also your weight affects the falling damage, so if you want to access certain areas early in the game (Majula well for example) with the Cat ring make sure you also unequip all your armor.

Also just an advice for everybody, do spend souls on Adaptability, especially if you prefer dodging. Trust me, it matters, ALOT.

The biggest issue I've had so far with PvP is that some covenants are as lame (or even lamer) than the DS1 Forest Covenant, ie the Bell covenant, you get ganked by not only phantoms but some ridiculous dwarves that do elemental dmg, probably dark, which I can't block effectively.

Hehe, you gonna love Grave of Saints/Doors of Pharros then :P not going to spoil it for you :P

To be honest first dark souls on the undead castle everyone used the bug to kill the red dragon on the bridge ... This isnt working anymore gladly

Now in part two of DS The greater resonant souls fucking the life out of everything that moves Same goes for Scrap of souls with a aoe circle damage spell. Royal rats are so easy with the circle attack ... Only hard boss was big dragon I hate this guy died 3 times on him -.- , Dragonrider was first boss and kills himself very often , really to easy :D.

Spider Queen and Frog demon are sometimes annoying as hell. really I could play it very often that game , looking at lobos speed runs and then I getting jealous how good this player is.

invader are often to dumb to kill you , mostly they failing with invading :)

Just picked it up. I tried playing with the Mouse and Keyboard for an hour to discover that it's broken. There's a very noticeable input lag. Sometimes I just charge straight at the enemy pressing my lmb just to have the pressing not register which I then proceed to get slapped around by the minions of the first stage. In the end I had to connect my half broken Dualshock 3. Turns out DS2 doesn't play nice with other controller devices.

On the bright side, the game is as fun as I remembered DS1 to be. The elements are and a few new ones. Due to my nature, I decided to add some visual mods to the game before playing it. This is with GeDoSaTo downsampling/ visual mod as well as sweet fx. My only other mod besides that is swapping out the Xbox buttons for PS ones.

Pics:

taegyg8.jpg

Well this old dude has managed to play around 5 hours yesterday.  After a slew of silly deaths that were caused from the piss poor layout and thought process behind the default mouse and keyboard layout, I remapped everything and started kicking some ass.  I am GREATLY annoyed by the silly banter that the developers threw in just to get to the buy screens for the NPC's.  Fucking play that shit the first time and get right to the buy screen after that.  Or build a way for us to hit a button and skip the monologue.  I imagine I'll start trying to kill those NPC's later in the game as my irritation grows and they keep monologuing.....

The game pretty much is just a repeat of DS with new maps.  For those like me that enjoyed DS,  they will likely love this one too.  For those that didn't get into DS, there is nothing new to hook them with this rendition.

Speaking of deaths,  anyone playing the game with M & K that has died with miss timed jumps?  I mean seriously....who thought the fucking F key was the right fucking key to use for that???    :@

Speaking of deaths,  anyone playing the game with M & K that has died with miss timed jumps?  I mean seriously....who thought the fucking F key was the right fucking key to use for that???    :@

Well all the things I love in the Souls games but the platforming parts.. yeah well they are not on that list :P in Demon's Souls you cant even jump, but it still got platforming parts.

By the way as for the reused model for a certain boss some people mentioned, you guys seem to forget that its FromSoft... things are usually a lot more complicated than they appear at first when it comes to Soul's games. Instead, try to figure out why does he look like that boss from DS1 and who he might be. For those who played the game and care to read the item descriptions and slowly putting the pieces together might have some suspicion that the game is not actually a prequel (that was the original plan i beleive) and FromSoft probably just trolling with us :P but I am still working on my theory. This part is the real beauty of these games, all the lore and the theorycrafting and some people bitch about the graphics and shit... (no this wasnt directed to anyone here).

I didn't much care for any of the outfits that you can get early in the game, but I managed to find the elite knight armor pretty quickly, which was always my fav.  I would have liked to have seen a bit more variety or new stuff, but it is not enough of an issue to bother me.  It honestly feels more like a large expansion than a new game.  I'm off to play a few more hours before my weekend is over.   :P

Hehe, you gonna love Grave of Saints/Doors of Pharros then :P not going to spoil it for you :P

Yeah, the Rat covenant is worse.  Those invasion are beyond ridiculous.  I mean, at one point, the guy didn't even drop down from the cliff cause the mobs were enough to kill me.  Not sure which is worse, actually joining the mobs or waiting for them to kill me from a point I can't attack you?  That's as lame as it gets.  I'd actually prefer a Red Phantom dropping from somewhere and having a normal duel than this crap.  Having done all other areas and now progressing through the castle, so far I can only say this is far worse than DS1 in almost every way.  The only good thing I can say about it is the port quality, which is acceptable at least.

Actually I think the Rat King covenant is great, you can troll people to death, especially if you use the Lockstones you can take out all torches so it will be pitch black and activate the poison spitting rat statues and turn the whole place to a deathtrap :P planning to roll a dex/int toon for pvp and just use Chameleon to hide while the traps and rats do the job.

But if this bothers you just go in offline, you only get one npc invade that way. My problem is with the Blue Sentinels, I wear that ring a lot, the symbol flashing all the time but still I never got a summon.

We can all agree that its not as good as DS1, but far worse in almost every way? I dont think so.

Actually I think the Rat King covenant is great, you can troll people to death, especially if you use the Lockstones you can take out all torches so it will be pitch black and activate the poison spitting rat statues and turn the whole place to a deathtrap :P planning to roll a dex/int toon for pvp and just use Chameleon to hide while the traps and rats do the job.

But if this bothers you just go in offline, you only get one npc invade that way. My problem is with the Blue Sentinels, I wear that ring a lot, the symbol flashing all the time but still I never got a summon.

We can all agree that its not as good as DS1, but far worse in almost every way? I dont think so.

The Covenants in general would need a covenant only ring slot, if you ask me.  Take away whatever bonuses the rings give (which are crap anyway) and create a covenant ring slot.  No one in their right mind would use a ring slot for the blue covenant, either the sentinels or the way of blue.  Best you can hope as a sentinel at this time is invade guilty with cracked orbs.

I don't mind the Rat invasions per se, I can actually kill the host sometimes, or just die without losing anything if I'm bored, the same for Bells, last time I killed 2 out of 3, although a death is a death there, which sucks a bit.  It's just really lame having mobs target you specifically for the invasion.  Reds suddenly feel more decent, at least you can make mobs attack them, too.

Well, it's bad enough that I'm not thinking of making another character and I have qualms about wasting more time on a NG+ setting, that's saying something right there.

Archived