Jump to content

WhimWatch - A free and open-source updater for WickedWhims and WW Animations DIRECTLY from Creators


Recommended Posts

Posted

WhimWatch - A free and open-source updater for WickedWhims and WW Animations DIRECTLY from Creators

View File

WhimWatch logo: a w whose last stroke becomes a magnifying glass

WhimWatch

An always free, always open-source, always privacy-focused update checker and updater for the WickedWhims Sims 4 mod and its animation packs.

Who are you and what is this thing?

I'm forthewhimsy, and I'm a gamer and software dev who was sick of manually curating my WickedWhims animations.

 

Then I remembered that - unlike my Sims - I actually have agency and I finally did something about it.

 

Now I want to share that with the rest of the community so that we can all remove the chore of maintaining our library of WW packages, and focus on actually having fun.

 

As you probably know if you are here, WickedWhims has no built-in updater, and animation packs are spread across wicked.cc, LoversLab, Patreon, and other sites.

 

That's where WhimWatch comes in.

What does this thing do?

 

TL;DR: WhimWatch scans your Mods folder, works out which creators' packs you have, and tells you when any of them, or WickedWhims itself, has a newer release, then updates them for you (upon your request).

 

Key Features:

  • Cross-platform support for Windows/Mac/Linux
  • Finds your mod packs directory automatically
  • Finds where each creator of your packages publishes and downloads directly from them (using a variety of standard sites, but you can add more!)
  • Updates in one click
    • wicked[.]cc downloads are public, and for LoversLab or Patreon, you can sign in inside the app first (with plenty of privacy settings built-in; your credentials are NEVER saved in WhimWatch) to download updates
  • Before installing, you see exactly which files will be replaced or added, and can untick any.
    • Old files are backed up, and every update can be undone from History
  • Answers “Will this version of WW work with my game?" before you boot
    • It shows your game version next to the newest one WickedWhims supports, and warns when mods or script mods are switched off in the game's options so you don’t have to do the ol’ dance of booting up, finding out there’s a bug or conflict, and then having to change options, close out, update, and reboot again.
  • Stays discreet
    • Has an optional privacy screen that blurs WhimWatch when it isn't the active window (and keeps it out of screenshots and screen sharing on Windows and macOS), a quick-hide shortcut, and hidden post titles.

What should I know about this project?

  • WhimWatch is an independent project and is not affiliated with TURBODRIVER, Electronic Arts, wicked.cc, LoversLab or Patreon.
  • WhimWatch is NOT and does NOT condone pirating; In fact, this project is meant to remove friction so you can more easily support the rich community of artists and creators who contribute to WickedWhims.
  • I also want to make this crystal clear, as there has apparently been an influx of vibe-coded projects and malicious EXEs submitted to LoversLab of late - While WhimWatch is maintained with LLM-assistance, I am a software engineer by trade who has worked in this industry for over a decade:
    • I write some WhimWatch code by hand, some with LLM-assistance, but I review and understand every line regardless.
    • I take the nuanced stance that using an LLM as one of many tools in the process does not make my software less genuinely mine when I am reviewing every single line, running manual tests, making edits, and making the architectural and engineering decisions for the project, and I own the responsibility of all those pieces.
    • I really, really care about the quality of what I put out and have the experience and desire to maintain a good product. I am not a vibe-coder just slopping it up.
    • I do understand AI/LLMs are very divisive in general, so I wanted to be as transparent as possible about this up front while also being adamant that I am not a slop-shoveler, and I put a ton of effort and passion into building and maintaining this project, and protecting my users, and I hope you see that come through in my code and the experience of the app.
  • With the above said, I also encourage ALL users to always scan anything you download (including WhimWatch!) through a trusted virus scanner
    • I recommend VirusTotal because it is free and easy to upload and see results quickly. It sometimes flags things as false positives/negatives, but if you look at the results holistically, you should get a good read on whether a file is malicious or not.
    • I also include a SHA256SUMS.txt file in my releases so that you can check this page and ensure the hashes match the file you download (see "Download"  below, and if you still have no idea what any of that means, VirusTotal will also provide you the SHA256 hash of the file you upload to it, and you can just use that to compare the known-good hashes in that TXT file - if these hashes don't match, you may have a compromised file).

 

I designed WhimWatch to be respectful of privacy, secure, easy-to-use, customizable, and simple to submit improvements and bug reports to.

 

I do my best to test the application as far as possible, but am limited by the packages and subscriptions I have available to me, so feedback from those on other operating systems, package sites, and other circumstances is vital to ensuring the app handles as many scenarios as seamlessly as possible.

 

Share any feedback or questions here on LL, or send feedback or bug reports via the app, and you can also contact me on reddit at 4thewhimsy.

 

WhimWatch is free and open source, and always will be.

 

Stay Wicked.

 

GitHub with Source Code and Releases: https://github.com/forthewhimsy/whimwatch

 

Download

System File
Windows 10 and 11

WhimWatch-Setup-X.Y.Z.exe: installs for your user account, no administrator rights needed.

Or WhimWatch-X.Y.Z-portable.exe to run without installing.

macOS on Apple silicon (M1 and later) WhimWatch-X.Y.Z-arm64.dmg
macOS on Intel WhimWatch-X.Y.Z-x64.dmg
Ubuntu, Debian, Linux Mint WhimWatch-X.Y.Z-amd64.deb
Fedora, openSUSE WhimWatch-X.Y.Z-x86_64.rpm
Other Linux WhimWatch-X.Y.Z-x86_64.AppImage (make it executable, then run it)

 

  • Windows will likely show a "Windows protected your PC" pop-up because these files are unsigned (click More info → Run anyway).
  • macOS says it can't check the app (open System Settings → Privacy & Security and click Open Anyway). This happens once.
  • To verify a download, compare its SHA-256 with SHA256SUMS.txt
    • You can run sha256sum <file> on Linux
    • shasum -a 256 <file> on macOS
    • Get-FileHash <file> in PowerShell
    • Or upload the file to VirusTotal, which will spit out the SHA256 for you (see above)

 

Supported Languages

The following languages are supported by WhimWatch (feel free to request or submit a PR for a new one!)

  • English
  • Italian
  • Spanish
  • Traditional Chinese

  • Submitter
  • Submitted
    09/22/26
  • Category
  • Requirements
    The Sims 4 + WickedWhims base mod (https://wickedwhimsmod.com/)

 

Posted

Great idea, and thanks for your program.

I wanted to ask if it would be possible to translate the program into my language (Italian). Thanks.

Posted
3 hours ago, Rahl81 said:

Great idea, and thanks for your program.

I wanted to ask if it would be possible to translate the program into my language (Italian). Thanks.

 

Hey Rahl81!

 

Yeah, I can take a stab at starting to use some locales in WhimWatch using automation, but I may need some help ensuring the translations are accurate from folks like yourself (if you see something that looks mistranslated, you can just contact me to fix it).

 

I will cut an Issue to start with Italian, and let you know when it is completed so you can check it out.

 

Thanks for the suggestion!

Posted
56 minutes ago, tirofederal said:

no me sale en español

 


I can add Spanish as a follow-up to Italian as well - again may need your help after the changes are in to look out for mistranslations. 

Posted
2 hours ago, forthewhimsy said:

@Rahl81 + @tirofederal: La versione 0.3.0 è stata appena pubblicata con supporto per le lingue locali e traduzioni in italiano e spagnolo.

 

Fammi sapere cosa ne pensi e se noti qualcosa che ti sembra formulato male.

 

Grazie per i suggerimenti!

I'll let you know if there are any errors or anything that needs correcting... thanks for now.

Posted

The Mod looks really good so far and very easy to use. I dont know how much work it would be or if that would even be in your interest but ive been looking for a mod that checks my Mod folder for duplicate files in general since ive been using a lot of custom Sims and have a lot of Dupes since im very tidy and make folders for every creator and the individual sim. Do you know of any mod like that or think you could make one/ add it into WhimWatch? I have zero clue how difficult it would be since im not a tech guy.

Posted
53 minutes ago, xEmTee said:

The Mod looks really good so far and very easy to use. I dont know how much work it would be or if that would even be in your interest but ive been looking for a mod that checks my Mod folder for duplicate files in general since ive been using a lot of custom Sims and have a lot of Dupes since im very tidy and make folders for every creator and the individual sim. Do you know of any mod like that or think you could make one/ add it into WhimWatch? I have zero clue how difficult it would be since im not a tech guy.


Thank you! I’m so glad to hear it!

 

And holy cow, this is so weird: I just made a script to do this today because I had the same problem where a bunch of my old packages were in subfolders and dupes. 
 

It’s actually very simple to do something like this (took a few minutes to script) - But using it also depends on what you are comfortable doing:

 

Would you like me to share that script (if you know how to run scripts/can tell me your operating system), or if not, I can probably slap together a nice UI on it if you’d rather have more of a visual and easy point-and-click experience. 
 

Great minds think alike!

Posted (edited)
On 9/22/2026 at 7:20 AM, forthewhimsy said:

I also want to make this crystal clear, as there has apparently been an influx of vibe-coded projects and malicious EXEs submitted to LoversLab of late - While WhimWatch is maintained with LLM-assistance, I am a software engineer by trade who has worked in this industry for over a decade:

 

Does your tool prevent the download of exe files?

 

Im not happy that the setup automatically installs the tool.... somewhere. I have a specific sorting system and hate it when I have no control where software is installed. This part definately needs a customization setting.

 

When updating

- under the "this adds XX files" and the list exceeds 14 files, the rest dont show. This window needs scroll bar.

- Im not sure what this window does. Are those the files I have or the files that will be added? All files are by default checked but on the right side I have options. They shouldnt be checked if I dont have some of those files.

- dates always should have a year. Right now Im looking at an update and the first line has no year but the second line has one. I cant tell this way which file is older. A comparison only seems to show while its checking for the update.

Edited by Zasz
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Zasz said:

 

Does your tool prevent the download of exe files?


It does, to the best extent. It does some light static checks to ensure nothing that doesn’t look like a valid .package file comes through a download (though I also always recommend passing files through virustotal.com if you are downloading them for the first time).

 

EDIT: Sorry both .package and .ts4script files are treated as valid. There’s a blocklist of other files that are not permitted in archive.ts

Edited by forthewhimsy
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Zasz said:

 

Does your tool prevent the download of exe files?

 

Also Im not happy that the setup automatically installs the tool.... somewhere. I have a specific sorting system and hate it when I have no control where software is installed. This part definately needs a customization setting.


You know I actually debated allowing for this (the custom install dir) because I think with Electron it amounts to a switch flip - I just opted against it as I wasn’t sure if anyone would care. 
 

Seeing as you do, I will get this added to the list of features for the next version: It’s a good idea. 

Edited by forthewhimsy

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...