Can't decide what to do with my pc upgrade..

Doraleus

I'm upgrading my GPU and also thinking about switching my CPU from an AMD FX-4100 to an FX-8350.

Assuming I get the FX-8350 and a GTX 780 video card running on 1080p (1920x1080), would this combination be enough to get a smooth and stable fps? (hoping for a 60 framerate with none to very minor drops)

What I plan to run with this upgrade includes; all my script heavy mods, 191 actives in total, SMIM (Static Mesh Improvement), 4k textures, and a nice ENB setting.

A lot of people are saying Intel is the better choice for a game like Skyrim, I could see their point but at the same time it will cost me a lot more.. So I'm asking around for opinions or advice if I should pull the trigger on upgrading for value now, or dishing out more cash for better performance (which could be good for the future... but might be something I don't necessarily.. need?)

And for those that do have FX-8350 does this skyrim.ini tweak work?

https://teksyndicate...i-tweaks/145135

Thoughts?

I've been an AMD fanboy since the 386 days, and as much as it pains me to say it, my thought is you should save a little longer and go Intel as well. Not only has AMD lost the performance crown, but they're barely competitive in performance/$ anymore. There are inexpensive LGA1150 (the new intel socket) boards out there that wouldn't add much to your cost.

If that's out of the question, then that processor looks fine, but I don't think I'd bother. Just for Skyrim, I wouldn't bother at all, for that matter. It played fine for me with mostly high settings on a much older AMD (Athlon II x4 635 / GTX 760) until I went intel myself this week.

Skyrim is really the only game I play that pushes my PC to its limits. I don't stream big online games or anything like that. I'm really really tempted to strip my motherboard for a new intel chip to get it over with.. But at the same time, I don't see any forthcoming big games for pc that would push me to make that kind of investment right now.

I see Elder Scrolls Online as one, but I'm not completely sold over it. And if I can manage to run Skyrim fine then I'm sure I could do the same with ESO. 

So right now I'm looking at an FX-8350 cpu combined with a GTX 760 or 770.. or even an R9 270x for my gpu. I'm hoping this kind of combination would get me a smooth 60 fps at least. Thats with all my mods, visual, and enb settings active.

I feel like I never really got to fully enjoy Skyrim after all this years of playing it on and off. I never even beat the game or finish the story. I would always get all kinds of problems playing it. And I refuse to play it without my favourite mods >.>; My average fps walking around towns and cities was 20.. (lol) 60 fps with all enb settings turned on would be like heaven for me.  :lol:

I don't think you would gain much by changing from

AMD FX-4100 (4 core 3.6Ghz)

to

AMD FX-8350 (8 Core 4Ghz)

Skyrim.png

In fact, I would recommend the LGA1150 as well.

Same as prideslayer, I used to be an AMD user starting from AMD K6 450Mhz to AMD Phenom II x 3 720 2.8Ghz and recently switched over to intel i5-4570 3.2Ghz.

Graphic card on the other hand, I think GTX 780 is an overkill.  If you are using a 1080p monitor (1920x1080), there's no reason to step over the GTX760 or R9 270x line as you can very much push everything to max at 1920 x 1080 with those cards.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2013/11/13/amd-radeon-r9-270-review/7

Archived