[SOLVED] Can someone tell me WTF is causing this?

So I was messing around with mods in Skyrim, moving from RCRN back to CoT. I mention this because, as I was testing, I had cause to point my camera skyward and notice weirdness on my screen. At first I thought my monitor was dirty or something, but when I pointed the camera into the grey sky, a picture emerged... sorta looks like a watermark that's always there, but not quite visible. Screenshot attached.

Okay, I figured it out.

So apparently a previous version of ENB introduced lens effects, and as part of that there is an overlay which can be used to put a 'grain' over your screen. There are actually mods dedicated to this. Ultimately though, it's just a static picture on your screen, so to me seems pretty dang silly. The file must be named enblensmask.png and be located in the root Skyrim folder.

Even sillier is that, at least in ENB version 0.239, Boris included a 'sample' file, so that if 'lens' is enabled, this becomes an overlay on the player's screen. SkyRealism, for some reason, defaults to this being enabled.

The sample? See below. Mystery solved.

Sadly, even if I just delete the 'sample' file, it still looks like there's a thumb print on my monitor or something, so I had to go ahead and completely disable lens effects to clear it up. What a pain. 

post-246140-0-97359200-1389590993_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

Archived