Divinity : Original Sin

dje34

The part where i have identified the suspects, and now need to find evidence. I found the love letter by the "D of F" ( :lol:) but nothing else :shrug: My rogue (well ranger really) doesn't have good enough lockpicking or sneaking skills to break into anywhere either. But that can be solved by killing more undead :D

Ā 

And i feel the obvious guilty party is too obvious.

Ā 

And yes, it's refreshing to play game that doesn't point everything you need with a quest marker while treating you like an idiot.

Here's what you need to do.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Go to Esmeralda's store and go to second floor. Ā There is a key there that opens her private quarters. Ā Go back downstairs and either sneak or use the backdoor to get into her private quarters. Ā There is a book that teaches people the art of killing in her private quarters. Ā There is also a trap door go down to the cellar, and on your immediate left there is some meat hanging. Ā Take the ham and it will reveal a button press it, and the bookshelf will move giving you access to the room with no doors. Ā There is a desk there with a bloody knife on it, grab it and show it and the book to her bodyguard then to her. Ā She will deny ever seeing or using them. Ā Take them to the Legion captain and he will ask for more proof. lol Ā 

Ā 

Oh Esmeralda will point you to Evelyn the doctors apprentice, go there and you will see she is missing. Ā Ask the doctor and he will tell you she ran off but that her house was nearby, he'll mark it on your map. Ā Go to her house and you will find a scroll of revealing and a diary. Ā The diary tells of a secret lair she has northwest of Cydeal and it can only be accessed using the scroll of revealing. Ā This is as far as I got. Ā I have not left the city yet.

Ā 

Yeah, that was one of the places i don't have high enough sneak to get into yet. Don't yet know how crime and punishment works in this game, but i'd like to stay undiscovered.

Ā 

Oh, and how rare are resurrection scrolls, and is there a way to resurrect someone without using a scroll? That damn ghoul at the lighthouse doesn't die without killing one of my guys.

Ā 

Edit: hah, finally managed to kill the ghoul without any of my people dying. Just needed to refine my tactics and make use of all of my team's skills with a whole bunch of lucky dice rolls :D

Ā 

Guess i'm getting old, can't even handle Fallout 3 with FWE anymore either :P

I assume clerics and mages will eventually get a resurrection spell. Ā At least I hope so, I only have 2 scrolls and I keep getting my ass handed to me by 3 zombies and some damn dog I thought was my friend. lol

Ā 

As for getting old. Ā So am I old friend, so am I. Ā I got so used to hand holding, I expected to storm through the game. Ā But still I like the challenge and the quests so far. :)

I still have four, so no panic. Of course it'll lead to what i already experienced with the Ghoul "can't use one in this battle, as there's bound to be tougher battles ahead" and then i end up never using them :lol:

Ā 

But i'm starting to think Cleric was a bad choice for lead PC, due to having to spread ability points to Strength, Intelligence, Constitution, and Speed could use some too. I fear she will be quite weak due to such widespread attributes. The Ranger is easy though, all Dexterity and Perception. I've actually missed attributes and derived stats ^_^

Ā 

And there's more coming with Wasteland 2 next month, not looking forward to encountering those giant scorpion robots :o

Ā 

Quite the contrast to BGS' failsafe games :P

I still have four, so no panic. Of course it'll lead to what i already experienced with the Ghoul "can't use one in this battle, as there's bound to be tougher battles ahead" and then i end up never using them :lol:

Ā 

But i'm starting to think Cleric was a bad choice for lead PC, due to having to spread ability points to Strength, Intelligence, Constitution, and Speed could use some too. I fear she will be quite weak due to such widespread attributes. The Ranger is easy though, all Dexterity and Perception. I've actually missed attributes and derived stats ^_^

Ā 

And there's more coming with Wasteland 2 next month, not looking forward to encountering those giant scorpion robots :o

Ā 

Quite the contrast to BGS' failsafe games :P

Ā 

Cleric I think is a good choice for one of your heros. I have mine with one handed club and shield - tanks great plus you get stronger healing spells plus you can summon a ice elemental in one of the hydro spells for more tanking.

Yeah, my female Scarlett is also a lvl 4 cleric and she does great crushing damage. Her spells are quite weak though. Ā I think my knight Ser Roderick's heal ability is far more useful than hers from the get go. Ā Oh and I love his and Madora's ram ability, it's great for taking out those annoying archers and mages. Ā Oh man are those archers annoying especially the ones with fire and poison arrows. lol

Ā 

I too am looking forward to Wasteland 2, I donated money during there kickstarter. Ā Also Pillars of Eternity will hopefully be good also.

Ā 

Ā 

No sleep for me today gonna figure the game out.

Edit:Cool music, looks good, controls feel a bit slugish but I've been playing Path of Exile no way to compete with an ARPG, probably best game in the genre since DA:Origins, just wondering how long it is since kickstarters usually have a smaller scope.

It seems some stuff still needs to be ironed out, games are enver done these days, still saw some cool creativity in quests, overall its a cool game.

Well according to most gamer's on the Steam forums, the first map is 20 hours long and there are four such maps in the game. Ā I have not finished the game I am still on the first map Cydeal, I've heard if you do everything the game is about 80-100 hours long.

Yea, its seeming pretty long so far. I mean just sitting there and crafting takes awhile because the game doesn't tell you outright what to do. That and I've been playing on hard, so some of the battles get a little hairy. Overall though I think its enjoyable, and certainly hope people get into the modding scene with it, adding new content for people to play.

Turn based -> Eons better than pausing all the time in Baldaurs gate.

Hmmm so my desire to play a new RPG got the better of me and I bought the game ... so far I only sunk a couple of hours into it, I am not even past the first city or deep into the murder quest. I first will admit: So far it is sadly NOT love at first sight, the game makes it hard to fall in love with. But then the harsher beauties, not the cute barbie dolls, are usually the ones worth investing time in ... :dodgy:

Ā 

But maybe some of you folks can lend me a hand? Or point me to a good source of information for the following little questions?

Ā 

1. I love the thing with the two main chars. However, though it is classless and so on, is it valid for a first playthrough to go like I intended: A knight and rogue? Are rogues tough to play? And is a rogue and her skills even needed, does it pay off? And is ranged combat any good? I would have made the knight all two-handed sword, her however using bows and daggers etc...

Ā 

2. Do the two get some kind of relation? Now don't get me wrong, not necessarily speaking about romance (though no objection), I am just curious if all this funny banter they get all the time actually has some impact as the story goes on? Will they always be just two adventurers thrown together by fate, or will they become a real team shaped by the events unfolding in the game?

Ā 

3. In that regard, all those points I get like Romantic, Idealistic, Pragmatic etc ... what's the point here? Will that have some effect? I tried so far to roleplay this consistently, but I am at a loss if it actually has some effect, and if so which one?

Ā 

4. Is crafting of any importance (as in: without crafting I am pretty much fucked)? I ask for one reason: I HATE crafting in ANY game. I want my friggin' super-items looted from corpses and find them in tombs, not smith them in some forge ... never understood why crafting became such an issue in RPGs over the last years. All it does for me is cluttering my inventory with ingots, wood, arrowheads etc...

Ā 

Well, so much for now. Any advice would be appreciated :)

Ā 

3. In that regard, all those points I get like Romantic, Idealistic, Pragmatic etc ... what's the point here? Will that have some effect? I tried so far to roleplay this consistently, but I am at a loss if it actually has some effect, and if so which one?

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

These actually increase your stats. If you open your Inventory and on the right side is 4 tabs. The 4th tab lists all of the traits you have found and what stat it increases. The only problem I have is that it increases a stat but does not tell you what goes with what until after the choice is done. So much reloading to get the right stats for each character.

Hmmm so my desire to play a new RPG got the better of me and I bought the game ... so far I only sunk a couple of hours into it, I am not even past the first city or deep into the murder quest. I first will admit: So far it is sadly NOT love at first sight, the game makes it hard to fall in love with. But then the harsher beauties, not the cute barbie dolls, are usually the ones worth investing time in ... :dodgy:

Ā 

But maybe some of you folks can lend me a hand? Or point me to a good source of information for the following little questions?

Ā 

1. I love the thing with the two main chars. However, though it is classless and so on, is it valid for a first playthrough to go like I intended: A knight and rogue? Are rogues tough to play? And is a rogue and her skills even needed, does it pay off? And is ranged combat any good? I would have made the knight all two-handed sword, her however using bows and daggers etc...

1)I am playing as a knight and cleric. Ā From what I hear from various forums, is that rogues have it hard early on but turn to beasts later on. Ā Supposedly they'll deal more damage than a warrior when they backstab an enemy. Ā I suggest putting some points in marksman, cause crowd control is everything in this game. and archers do insane damage with poison and fire arrows.Ā 

Ā 

Also recruit Jahan and Madora. Ā Jahan is a beast if you know his spells, also Madora she may be getting senile, but she's death incarnate doing massive damage. Ā But having Jahan and a rogue that uses elemental arrows, well wipe out most of the annoying archers and mages. Ā Then Madora and your Knight can run in and take care of any stragglers. Ā Once you level your rogue properly, you can sneak behind enemies and backstab them doing massive damage.

Ā 

Lastly look for vendors who sell skill books and equip your team as needed. Ā The ones who need the most protection or be well equipped are your two main characters. Ā Oh! Ā One last thing, in some battles if you pay attention to enemies during combat, they'll reveal there weaknesses. :)

Well, how long past are these good old days actually? Because my days only get back up to Baldurs Gate and stuff, and since then all the games claimed to have "important" decisions, though really it didn't matter too much, even in BG2 and the likes. And before that? Can't judge, but many of those games seemed to be focused on battles as well, not really on "decisions", and the story hast to go some laid-out plan anyway...so...

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

If you've never played Planescape:Torment, then you're missing out.Ā  It's one of the few CRPG's of that era where your actions during the course of the game effect the ending of the game.Ā  A few examples:Ā  Exceptionally high intelligence allows you to do very special things at the end of the game as well as though the course of the events, so does wisdom.Ā  Exceptionally low as well.Ā  Betraying, or saving companions change how things lead up to the end.Ā  Joining particular factions have impacts. Having specific companions can lead to bad things happening.Ā  But with CRPG's much like Pn'P games focus on battles, fights, and so on because you need to get experience somewhere.Ā  And helping someone with their shopping means it takes a reallllly long time to level up.

Ā 

-helptext-

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

-helptext-

Ā 

Thanks both of you for the replies! I will struggle on. The battles are quite entertaining once you got magic, and fining my first enchanted items, as usually in such games, made me keep playing out of greed. But this game could really try a bit harder to be more transparent. Its NOT hardcore or anti-casual if you actually explain a bit about your game-mecahnics...

Ā 

Ā 

Well, how long past are these good old days actually? Because my days only get back up to Baldurs Gate and stuff, and since then all the games claimed to have "important" decisions, though really it didn't matter too much, even in BG2 and the likes. And before that? Can't judge, but many of those games seemed to be focused on battles as well, not really on "decisions", and the story hast to go some laid-out plan anyway...so...

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

If you've never played Planescape:Torment, then you're missing out.Ā  It's one of the few CRPG's of that era where your actions during the course of the game effect the ending of the game.Ā  A few examples:Ā  Exceptionally high intelligence allows you to do very special things at the end of the game as well as though the course of the events, so does wisdom.Ā  Exceptionally low as well.Ā  Betraying, or saving companions change how things lead up to the end.Ā  Joining particular factions have impacts. Having specific companions can lead to bad things happening.Ā  But with CRPG's much like Pn'P games focus on battles, fights, and so on because you need to get experience somewhere.Ā  And helping someone with their shopping means it takes a reallllly long time to level up.

Ā 

Ā 

Torment? Sure I played that one. The first time around I was a bit too young to appreciateĀ  the story though. Only later I grew to like it and the weird scenario Torment took place in. At the end of the day, I prefer common fantasy settings, but I already have an eye on Torment: Tides of Numeria. That one looks really promising...

Ā 

Wasteland 2, Tides of Numeria, and Pillars of Eternity ... damn, RPGs seem to have some good days ahead

Ā 

I had a chance to play it.

I give up after 10 min :(

Ā 

Do you even like RPGs? Besides the slugish movement which doesn't translate well to modern days it's quite a good game.

Ā 

Ā 

I did, but now I'm more in favor of action rpgs. I had my fill with saving world, ect. To be honest, ifĀ  top down game don't have any adult content it is wast of time for such old system (isometric/topdown - In my opinion ofc)

Lol. In the game, I just found (i.e. stole) some lady's dirty panties that, according to her dead husband's faithful dog, "smells of every nobleman in town except his master"Ā  ^_^ My female protagonist now wears them for a charisma bonusĀ  :blink:Ā  Ā 

Some puzzles are really ticking me off, lighting chandeliers is fine in Zelda not here, hidden small buttons, random ordersĀ  for buttons and levers and the weight puzzle, did I miss the instructions somewhere? I don't mind puzzles and obstacles but the game has to tell me the rules and lay out the mechanics otherwise it's a guessing game akin to adventure games and I don't really like those.

Archived