IGNORED

Japan's Sales and the future skyrim's japanese modding community

nigoki

Is Skyrim (PC) going to be much more successful in Japan than Oblivion did? We have some data already but unfortunately they're all about the consoles.

"The PlayStation 3 version of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim debuted at number four on this week's Japanese sales chart, with the Xbox 360 SKU not too far behind at nine.

Bethesda's epic RPG sold 75,865 on PS3 and 37,037 on Xbox 360."

Source

I couldn't find the PC sales, much less digital sales, and I don't have the slightest idea if these are popular in japan. If somebody has some knowledge about that, please share with us.

Also I don't have the sales numbers for Oblivion (PC) in Japan, if anybody does please show us too.

With the console data though we may try to infer the general game success.

Oblivion's Sales in Japan:

Week Japan (X360) Japan (PS3)

1 58,241 22,993

2 8,958 7,755

3 6,175 6,305

4 4,624 4,896

5 2,934 3,414

Lifetime 130,906 137,012

Source 1, Source 2

Consoles,

Oblivion 1st Week: 81k

Oblivion Lifetime: 268k~

Skyrim 1st week: 113k~

Skyrim Lifetime: 373k?? (40 millions? lol)

I just hope the PS3 lag issues won't damage Skyrim's reputation too much, although I only care for the PC sales, as that's where the mod community is.

EDIT: Also I think its sales isn't as good as I thought they would be, Famitsu gave a perfect score for this game and oblivion and fallout 3 weren't so behind in sales. Also the fan base must have been growing after all these years. I was imagining something about 200k first week AT LEAST.

After putting in nearly 230 hours already with this game I have the amazing mods from japan, official DLC, official creation kit, and of course all the mods from you wonderful people here to look forward to. These games really have to have the best value out there. Its a shame when you see games that you can beat in 5-7 hours going for the same price.

I'd think it would have better sales in pc than in console. After all Oblivion had a huge fanbase because of its modding opportunities... in pc.

Japan tends to like their Rpg gaming on the ps3 then any other system more so if it's a third person game or if it has an option to.

I'd think it would have better sales in pc than in console. After all Oblivion had a huge fanbase because of its modding opportunities... in pc.

Japan tends to like their Rpg gaming on the ps3 then any other system more so if it's a third person game or if it has an option to.

And PC isn't for gaming in Japan except for some eroge titles. I lodged a japanese guy (from tokyo) this year in my house and he was amazed by the graphics in my computer (lol, almost 2 years old Radeon 5750), he also didn't seem much impressed with the skyrim gameplay trailer.

I would think in order to gauge the relative success of Skyrim against Oblivion, you would need to normalize the 1st week sales results against the then install base. Did some searches to see if I could find Japanese Sales figures online at

http://www.vgchartz.com/charts/

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Seventh_generation_of_video_games

Oblivion PS3 came out in Japan in 9/27/2007

1. 1st week sales were 22,993. Sales were recorded for only 3 days (27-29) of the week. Sales fell off to 7755 units the 2nd week.

2. Total Japanese install base of PS3 by the end of the year 2007 was 1,673,000(466700+1206300 for years 06 and 07). A Gross extrapolation of sales upto the end of September would be 9/12 (9th month of 12 months, so 3/4) would bring the 1206300 units sold through 2007 down to 904725 units sold through September 2007.

In a similar fashion for xbox360:

1. 1st week sales starting July 26, 2007 was 44,017 units. Sales, again was recorded for only 3 days (26 - 28). Sales fell to 8958 the 2nd week.

2. Total Japanese install base for xbox360 by the end of the 2007 was 548,300 units (81800+208700+257800 for 05, 06, and 2007). Multiply 2007 sales by July/December (7/12) and you get total sales of xbox360 upto July 2007 as 440883 units.

After all that, you get the following:

1. Percentage of PS3 owners who bought Oblivion the 1st week: 2.54%

2. Percentage of 360 owners who bought Oblivion the 1st week: 9.98%

Onto Skyrim. I won't detail this part. I'll just sum it up:

references:

http://kotaku.com/5868301/skyrim-japan-likes-you

http://www.vgchartz.com/#Asia-Pacific,%20MEA%20Totals

PS3 Skyrim sold 75,865

PS3 lifetime sales in Japan 13,000,000

360 Skyrim sold 37,037

360 lifetime sales in Japan 5,500,000

Percentage of PS3 owners buying Skyrim: 0.58%

Percentage of 360 owners buying Skyrim: 0.67%

Further:

Sales increase from Oblivion to Skyrim in respect to 1st week for both PS3 and 360: 140% increase.

These numbers don't look that great for Bethesda. As for whether the modding community will kick back into gear...

Hope you're being facetious (or misunderstood) there. The vast majority of the mods that drive the existence of this site can be traced to Japanese modders.

I don't think you'll get a good answer for Skyrim adoption based on sales figures alone. You need to look at the rate at which the established modding communities are shifting to the new platform.

If Skyrim is truly seen as the replacement for Oblivion, then there is a better likelihood of, at the very least, stuff getting ported over.

I'd say the better place to look for signs of activity would be on the oblivion modding BBS's, the blogs for prominent modders/players (i.e., chocolate elf maker). If they're boards are getting as pumped up about Skyrim as this board is, then things should be good to go.

I think a lot of it is also going to hinge on whether the moddability of character creation and whether Japanese gamers can be convinced that the people in Skyrim don't have to be as fugly as Bethesda made them.

I think a lot of it is also going to hinge on whether the moddability of character creation and whether Japanese gamers can be convinced that the people in Skyrim don't have to be as fugly as Bethesda made them.

If they weren't put off by having the Imperial City peopled with Cabbage Patch Dolls, I don't suppose a few hard-faced Nord women are going to slow them down :)

Well, from the Japanese forums I frequent, there are a few modders that are considering to mod for Skyrim. However, the problem they told me is that it'll take quite some time before we can get anywhere near the customisation we have for Oblivion. But they are impressed though as the scripting is a lot more complex so it is possible that the SKSE won't be necessary.

Note I has POSSIBLE not DEFINITELY WON'T.

If they weren't put off by having the Imperial City peopled with Cabbage Patch Dolls' date=' I don't suppose a few hard-faced Nord women are going to slow them down :)

[/quote']

Actually, from what I understand oblivion's setup had the most flexibility in terms of fixing the problems with the Vanilla NPCs. Fallout NPCs looked better out of the box, but there wasn't much that could be done to improve them even further. I have no idea where skyrim stands in this spectrum, but judging by what's been accomplished so far without even editing meshes, I'd say there's much more potential for hotness than either of the previous titles.

The thing is, the vast majority of things that would be required to get Skyrim up to par with a full MBP/xLovers/Xeo'd Oblivion can and have been accomplished by non-Japanese modders. Granted, the code for xLovers is extremely well built and polished, but ultimately code is code and coders are really dime a dozen in any modding community (speaking as such myself).

What I'm hoping for out of the Japanese modding community are the animations. Some of the stuff that's been produced for lovers is damn near commercial grade, maybe not Illusion level but pretty close to Techarts3d-type quality. On the other hand, the weakest part of the attempts to do adult mods for Fallout has been the animation quality.

But for those extremely talented modders to actually migrate over, that whole other ecosystem of cosmetic mods, racial customization, etc. etc. has to be built up.

On a side, one thing I've been wondering about is whether it's possible to port Oblivion animations into Skyrim. Simply having what's been made for xLovers so far would be a huge boost to future development.

What I'm hoping for out of the Japanese modding community are the animations. Some of the stuff that's been produced for lovers is damn near commercial grade' date=' maybe not Illusion level but pretty close to Techarts3d-type quality. On the other hand, the weakest part of the attempts to do adult mods for Fallout has been the animation quality.

[/quote']

Speaking of that...I've done some personal modding but most of it has been dealing with more on the art style...drawing textures and dealing with alpha channels and such. But I've spent considerable time learning nifskope and I'm still going through Blender tutorials and finding my way around. But with that said... I'm wondering how difficult it would be to perhaps import the animations from an Illusion game. I remember their files are in something funky like .kx or something weird like that. But I know there's so much modding going on over at Hongfire that there's been people that have modded the animations before. So if we can import the animations (skeleton and animation loops) I'm wondering how difficult it would be to import the Skyrim skeleton into Blender and trying to use the same animation timeline.

Sure...I realize that this ultimately will depend on rigging knowledge as I'm sure that the amount of bones in a model from say...Sexy Beach Zero will probably grossly outnumber the bones in the Skyrim model. It would be grueling most likely to map them to the Skyrim model I'm sure....but if we can get just one game with alot of animations like say...Artificial Academy...then either add bones to the Skyrim model or learn which bones on the AA model need to be mapped to which bones on the Skyrim model....we'd have a TON of animations that simply needed to be imported and reworked a bit.

Of course the first animation would be the worst and the longest since it would be alot of trial and error. I just keep thinking that if I could get ONE of the animations imported in...the rest would be more or less just simply copy and pasting of bones and structure in almost the exact same manner I did on the first animation. Just follow the memorized method...wash, rinse, repeat no?

Archived