Vigilant of Stendarr by Nooblet Discussion

TheOzoneHole

Okay, so first off big thanks to Nooblet123 for his(her?) Vigilant of Stendarr mod (http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/274-vigilant-of-stendarr-005-outfit/).

I installed this a few days ago and tried it out after starting a new character.  This is just a random rant on my thoughts of the mod and to see if anyone else had used it and their thoughts. (Moderators, if I put this in the wrong spot I'm very sorry, I don't talk here much.)  

Also, bit of general info, I run both SkyRe and Frostfall, so that alters my thoughts on the mod to a degree. Also, spoilers on things mentioned on the mod page. (Side note, I'm about 1/3rd asleep, its about 0 dark 30 in the morning, so please excuse any grammar/spelling mistakes or long questions.)

1. The waist belt with heavy ball: I love this idea, but I had two thoughts on it; why does this not 0 my sneak skill? If I've got a heavy weighted ball on a chain pulling up in my crotch (no, I've never done that, and being male it wouldn't work the same way) I'd think that walking softly and not bumping the ball on the floor or walls would be an issue. Also, why is my movement speed not affected? Again, having a heavy ball hanging from the small of my back and a chain pressing hard in the crotch would slow most people down, especially if they are holding the ball up to stop it from pulling the chain into the crotch. Just my thought. I'd rather see sneak impacted than movement speed, simply for realism/RP.

2. Debuffs from gear are not removed after going to the Vigilants location and having the items removed. The massive debuffs to all my combat skills and health stuck with me after confessing to my "crimes". Don't know if that was a script error, or if I needed to use a shrine or something.  

3. Are the interrogation animations random? And were the restraints in the water intended to cause me to drown (dead)? Is player interaction necessary to prevent this?

4. There is a floating tree in front of the lodge.

5. The location of the lodge is perfect from a Frostfall stand point, it is just cold enough around the lodge that, if coming from the Whiterun area like I did, you get cold enough to worry, but if you don't linger it shouldn't kill you. Perfect.

6. I'd like to see the map marker removed as being on the map by default. I feel that it really takes away something from the mod if I can just fast travel to the lodge. I'd much rather that the note add the maker to the map, like a default marker from quests like Forbidden Legend (or is it Forgotten Legend?). Having to run, effectively naked, from the Western Watch Tower, with a stop in Rorikstead to eat and drink, to the lodge was very nice from an RP and immersion standpoint. 

7. To continue the theme of running around naked, next time I test this I'll use this mod (http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/201-sexlab-dangerously-nude/) (Kudos to Bromm83 & Rossignol ) to see how that changes things.  The stop in Rorikstead might be much more interesting. ;)  

8. I'd like to see other prisoners at the lodge, tons of Vigilant but I'm the only prisoner? Lonely!  

9. Possibly this fleshed out with a quest to make sure the player is behaving themselves. Requirements to report back to the lodge at either a specific time interval or upon command by received letter. You get the letter and if you don't go back within a day or two they come looking for you again.  Also, joining the College of Winterhold might be forbidden, or provide an exemption from punishment. (I know I'm getting kind of grand with plans here, sorry.)

10. Escape: I'm running across Skyrim naked, in a weighted belt, collar and gag but my hands are totally free to reach up and fiddle with the locks, but I never do it? I'll be honest, I didn't really try to take the stuff off, but I'd like to see this as an option. Going back to my last point, if the player doesn't show up at the lodge after a set length of time (one or two days), the Vigilant come looking and make the punishment even harsher if they find that the player has removed any of the items. Same with the post interrogation items, that set of spikes to remind me to behave removes the option to wear armor, so I'll freeze in short order, and be totally open to attack; I'd do my best to get rid of it.  I'd really like to see some integration with Devious Devices, but that is so far past my ability to not even be worth discussing.

Hope I've covered everything, if I think of anything else or discover I've made a mistake I'll endevor to correct myself.  Looking forward to the thoughts of others on this. Again, fantastic work Nooblet.

Yeah, and I've thought of that. To me having a marker just pop up when you start is more immersion breaking than disabling fast travel simply because it is still on the map as soon as you leave Helgen (or whatever alt start locations there are). Why would your character know or even care about this? My issue is that the mod has such a specific requirement that it is virtually impossible to trigger it if it isn't done on purpose.  Yes, Nooblet has given the necromancer robes a huge boost to make people more likely to use them, but again, this would more likely be a lower level character, who doesn't really know much about the land of skyrim yet. I'm not trashing your idea District, but many people don't use Frostfall, and I'm not sure that playing an entire game with a char who has run through this quest and with Frostfall active is a good idea. 

The simple fact is that even confessing to having cast a conjuration spell while wearing the robes gets you locked into the device that is pictured on the download page, which takes up you main armor slot.

Mage armor spells and the Lord Stone can compensate for reduced damage resistance but not prevent hypothermia.

Edit: Also, if you fast travel to the Hall, it lands you on the roof.

TheOzoneHole, on 30 Dec 2013 - 05:56 AM, said:

1. The waist belt with heavy ball: I love this idea, but I had two thoughts on it; why does this not 0 my sneak skill? If I've got a heavy weighted ball on a chain pulling up in my crotch (no, I've never done that, and being male it wouldn't work the same way) I'd think that walking softly and not bumping the ball on the floor or walls would be an issue. Also, why is my movement speed not affected? Again, having a heavy ball hanging from the small of my back and a chain pressing hard in the crotch would slow most people down, especially if they are holding the ball up to stop it from pulling the chain into the crotch. Just my thought. I'd rather see sneak impacted than movement speed, simply for realism/RP.

It slows you down by draining stamina when the chain pushes against the crotch (makes you tired or whatever) and.then you can't sprint. With Requiem movement speed depends on stamina so you'd be walking unless you hold hands behind, I wonder why nobody said "omg why am i walking like a snail?" yet :) . I might set sneak to 0 with -100 to sneak enchantment on the belt.

2. Debuffs from gear are not removed after going to the Vigilants location and having the items removed. The massive debuffs to all my combat skills and health stuck with me after confessing to my "crimes". Don't know if that was a script error, or if I needed to use a shrine or something.  

That's intentional. The only debuffs on the items are -speech and -mana, maybe some more. Every day you lose health and stats from starvation when your tongue is held by the gag and you can only drink soup through a straw lol..... You also don't get enough vitamin B12 ROFLMAO. The vigilants are not pussies like the guards in Prison Overhaul and they whip hard with blessed whips so you also lose hp/ and magic stats(more conjuration stats than other magic skills) until they beat all conjuration out of you. Same with the fire except it burns the hands so you lose stats from skills that rely on use of hands.

Anyway you shouldn't go to the hall, it's a trap... see #10.

3. Are the interrogation animations random? And were the restraints in the water intended to cause me to drown (dead)? Is player interaction necessary to prevent this?

Random. Somebody requested near drowning, so that's what I did, you get pulled out of water at 50% hp or so, but the drowning dmg may be random or there is a bug or Skyrim thread delays so you're not pulled out in time. Make waterbreathing items that won't be removed or use long term waterbreathing potions/spells before you go to the hall or play as argonian.

4. There is a floating tree in front of the lodge.
    5. The location of the lodge is perfect from a Frostfall stand point, it is just cold enough around the lodge that, if coming from the Whiterun area like I did, you get cold enough to worry, but if you don't linger it shouldn't kill you. Perfect.

6. I'd like to see the map marker removed as being on the map by default. I feel that it really takes away something from the mod if I can just fast travel to the lodge. I'd much rather that the note add the maker to the map, like a default marker from quests like Forbidden Legend (or is it Forgotten Legend?). Having to run, effectively naked, from the Western Watch Tower, with a stop in Rorikstead to eat and drink, to the lodge was very nice from an RP and immersion standpoint.

I don't use fast travel, might fix the tree and the marker. I don't use frostfall b/c the npcs were not affected by it.

8. I'd like to see other prisoners at the lodge, tons of Vigilant but I'm the only prisoner? Lonely!  

The vigilants can capture up to 10 npcs (that is if they meet them, which could be a problem - you'd have to lure vigilants to some necros, otherwise the chances are slim) and do stuff to them, 2-3 are supposed to be in the basement, the rest wander around with restraints. Except that npcs inventory, animation are screwed up when you leave the area/save-load the game. And I had huge problems with npcs losing reference aliases so doing stuff with npcs is a huge mess..
But you could put some dummy npcs in there yourself in CK.

9. Possibly this fleshed out with a quest to make sure the player is behaving themselves. Requirements to report back to the lodge at either a specific time interval or upon command by received letter. You get the letter and if you don't go back within a day or two they come looking for you again.  Also, joining the College of Winterhold might be forbidden, or provide an exemption from punishment. (I know I'm getting kind of grand with plans here, sorry.)

When they catch you and put on the mask, you're neutralized as a heretic in their opinion.

10. Escape: I'm running across Skyrim naked, in a weighted belt, collar and gag but my hands are totally free to reach up and fiddle with the locks, but I never do it? I'll be honest, I didn't really try to take the stuff off, but I'd like to see this as an option. Going back to my last point, if the player doesn't show up at the lodge after a set length of time (one or two days), the Vigilant come looking and make the punishment even harsher if they find that the player has removed any of the items. Same with the post interrogation items, that set of spikes to remind me to behave removes the option to wear armor, so I'll freeze in short order, and be totally open to attack; I'd do my best to get rid of it.  I'd really like to see some integration with Devious Devices, but that is so far past my ability to not even be worth discussing.

You can't lockpick them because of special locks (magic or dwemer anti-lockpicking mechanisms.... or whatever). So you need to make special "intricate keys" (misc section at blacksmith's forge), which the vigilants think (they are dumbasses) can't be replicated without superior vigilant locksmithing knowledge written in the single-copy Holy Book of Stendarr guarded by the domesticated beast of AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGHH that only master vigilant locksmiths have access to (aka you need 25 lockpicking). This is the easiest way out of the restraints.

If you got the spikes, you confessed. That means you either lied or you're a heretic, both are crimes against Stendarr-ity. Normally you'd be burned at the stake, but with this mod you get a huge freebie lol. I suppose you could thousands of health potions and keep summoning overpowered minions and pwn almost everything while running around naked at some point, so you don't really need armor.

Thanks for the reply Nooblet, forgot to mention how much I loved the note they gave me. I didn't know about how the mod works with Requiem, since I use SkyRe instead. Also, since I run the community uncapper that was why I was saying a larger number for the skill reductions. I understand that plenty of people don't use Frostfall, and that many people choose not to use fast travel. Your point about the Hall being a trap is one I'd not thought of, since it seemed to be the logical thing to do and there was no forge around at the time for me to check for keys at.  It is a shame that Beth couldn't have done a better job on consistent NPC AI. Thank you again for the fantastic work and I look forward to any future updates.

Archived