OBSE, FOSE and NVSE are pretty much the same thing originally, but the problem is two fold:

-  The three engines are 80% identical, but the 20% are  sprinkled all over the code. Any atempt at doing a shared source project would be nothing than a giant #ifdef #elseif #elseif...#endif

Totally unreadable and unmaintanable

- Oblivion and Fallout3 were compiled with most optimisation, while FalloutNV has the minimum so most of the "code hijacking" cannot be reused from FalloutNV to Fallout3.

And lastly what is known of the inside is a matter of opportunity. When someone wanted to write a function, he had to decode the classes involved. That's still ongoing with Obivion that has a lot of years of advance. When FalloutNV showed, there was'nt anybody left to work on FOSE, and honestly, I don't think anyone ever requested it :(

Now if anybody wants to pick it up, most required code offsets from Fallout3 are commented into NVSE :)

I didn't mean a single project for all of them, but a single VS solution. This way all the per-game specific stuff could remain as it is, but the 'guts' of things like the extended vars and what not could be a single shared file between all of them.

For example, it would be easy right now to take all the NX functionality and put it in NVSE. In fact, Ian asked me if he could have the source to do just that when I first started the project, but I think he's been too busy to follow up. Anyway, if that was done, but all the NX stuff was put in it's own files, then OBSE, FOSE, and NVSE could all share those files since most of the stuff NX uses (TESForm, etc) is the same -- interface wise -- between the different extenders.

The savegame hook stuff is the same. Once you've got the hooks (different for each game), they can call the same functions to load/create/delete the cosave files.

• 1 month later...

Saw the git checkin, cool deal. Jax said the underscore trick to use the NVSE compiler fixed one of his issues, but he found another (I haven't verified). GetUserTime() is returning an empty array, or nothing. I looked at the code in NVSE and it looks simple enough, so not sure how it could be going wrong.

Array_var time

let time := GetUserTime

Ar_Dump time
That's his test code, ar_dump works ok on the result of other array functions. It's not working here, and time[minutes] and such don't have anything either he said.
Guest luthienanarion

On a scale of 1 to 10, how likely is it that we can get functions to Get/Set the "playable" flag on items? Slotmasks?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New beta NVSE v4.5 Beta 6: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1482519-beta-new-vegas-script-extender-nvse-v4/page-5?do=findComment&comment=23709445

4.5 beta 06

Fixes:
		Definition of Hairs and Eyes in TESRace.

InventoryRef functions should be fully functional now, including for the player inventory.

Plugin manager: 
			RegisterCommand will properly record the plugin opcodeBase.
			RegisterTypeCommand will only provide an eval version when appropiate.
			GetParentPlugin reports the correct answer for opcode 0.

GetModLocalData and GetAllModLocalData return types corrected.

Changes:
		During reference variable evaluation, Player is replaced by PlayerRef when appropriate.

Added:

EquipItem2:
			equips and runs onEquip block
			[ActorRefID].EquipItemZ ObjectID:ref NoUnequipFlag:int{0, 1} HideEquipMessage:int{0, 1}

EquipMe:
			equips the calling object on its owner
			ref.EquipMe

UnequipMe:
			unequips the calling object on its owner
			ref.UnequipMe

IsEquipped:
			returns 1 if the calling object is currently being worn
			ref.IsEquipped

GetInvRefsForItem:
			returns an array of temp refs to objects of the specified type in the calling container
			(refs:Array) GetInvRefsForItem baseObject:ref

All 5 ported from OBSE.

SetHotkeyItem:
			sets the item associated with a hotkey
				(nothing) SetHotkeyItem whichHotkey:short item:ref

ClearHotkey:
			clears the item associated with the specified hotkey.
				(nothing) ClearHotkeyItem whichHotkey:short

Both ported from OBSE by Luthien Anarion.

PrintDebug or PrintD:
			Version of Print that only display something if the script is in debug mode.

SetVariable:
			Sets a numeric variable on a ref or a quest:
				ref.SetVariable variableName variableValue
				SetVariable variableName variableValue Quest

SetRefVariable:
			Sets a form variable on a ref or a quest:
				ref.SetRefVariable variableName anyForm
				SetRefVariable variableName anyForm Quest

Get/SetStringIniSettings:
			string_var GetStringIniSetting "settingGroup:settingName"
				the : seems to be expected by the engine.
				example: let s := GetStringIniSetting "sDPad:LANGUAGE"

SetStringIniSetting "settingGroup|settingName"
				the | is coherent with the SetNumIniSettingsEx

Imported from Console:
		con_ShowVars	(requires SetConsoleEcho 1 to be visible)

On Mod Local Data

Implying (to my limited understanding of NVSE) that:

- GetAllModLocalData is broken

- ModLocalDataExists and RemoveModLocalData work correctly

- SetModLocalData and GetModLocalData sort of work, except the reference I stored appears to have been converted to a number

Try again with the new beta 6.

By the way thanks for testing and documenting it all.

:) Thanks for adding it.

I'll post here, since it probably doesn't belong in the scripting 101 thread, I repeated my script with a minor addition using the new version:

array_var aData
ref rItem
    Print "Mod Local Data"
    SetModLocalData "sunny", SunnyREF
    Print "Mod data exists: " + $(ModLocalDataExists "sunny") + " " + $(ModLocalDataExists "garbageasfefsda")
    Print "Local data sunny: " + $(GetModLocalData "sunny")
    let rItem := GetModLocalData "sunny"
    Print "Local data sunny, via ref var: " + $rItem
    let aData := GetAllModLocalData
    Ar_Dump aData
    RemoveModLocalData "sunny"
    Print "Mod data exists: " + $(ModLocalDataExists "sunny") + " " + $(ModLocalDataExists "garbageasfefsda")
    Print " * End mod local data"

and this time I get:

Mod Local Data

Mod data exists: 1 0

Local data sunny: 5.27997e-318

Local data sunny, via ref var: Sunny Smiles

** Dumping Array #317 **

Refs: 1 Owner 1C: SexoutSoliciting.esm

[ SUNNY ] : Sunny Smiles (00104E85)

Mod data exists: 0 0

* End mod local data

- GetAllModLocalData appears to work now

- If I directly print the return of ModLocalDataExists, I still get a number rather than the reference name, but if I store it in a ref var first, or dump the all data array_var, it looks correct.

Guest tomm434

Nice update! more FUNctions, more FUN!!

So, jaam.

SetHotkeyItem:
            sets the item associated with a hotkey

(nothing) SetHotkeyItem whichHotkey:short item:ref

How exactly does it work?

SetVariable:
            Sets a numeric variable on a ref or a quest:
                ref.SetVariable variableName variableValue

SetVariable variableName variableValue Quest

SetRefVariable:
            Sets a form variable on a ref or a quest:
                ref.SetRefVariable variableName anyForm

SetRefVariable variableName anyForm Quest

Same question

During reference variable evaluation, Player is replaced by PlayerRef when appropriate.

So no difference at all now? Going to fix my tut.

Thanks!

- If I directly print the return of ModLocalDataExists, I still get a number rather than the reference name, but if I store it in a ref var first, or dump the all data array_var, it looks correct.

Yes NVSE checks what type of variable you are assigning to, and adapt the result in consequence.

object version: 
		let rContainer := VeronicaRef
		rContainer.SetVariable Waiting 1

quest version:
		SetRefVariable myRef Veronica TestScriptQuest

for SetHotkeyItem:

set myPrefferedGun to AGunForm

SetHotkeyItem 3 MyPrefferedGun

For player/playerRef.

if you type

let x := player.SomeVar

then nvse will interpret it as

let x := playerRef.SomeVar

because player as a form cannot be used in dot notation.

but

let myRef := player

will still point to the player form.

when it is ambiguous, it defaults to player.

Guest tomm434

So I guess hotkey means what it means - # from 1 to 9 on the keypad, right?  Thanks for clarification about player\playerRef - I didn't even think about that difference before, need to be more careful with that.

But what about new numercic variable function. In what situation is it useful? I googled "obse numeric variable" but it didn't help much.

Vanilla hotkey values from 1 to 8. Key 2 is still reserved and skipped over logically.

SetVariable is useful, because the GECK will not let you change a variable through a ref variable, only toward an explicit reference:

so you could do:

let VeronicaRef.Waiting := 1

but not

let myRef := VeronicaRef

myRef.Waiting := 1

Now imagine you want to scan for all active followers close to the PC and have them wait whether they are vanilla or custom. As long as the modder correctly name the variable :) a simple loop and you are done.

Guest tomm434

So for example if I have Willow this bitch as companion, build ref and do a code

let myRef := BuildRef 43243242
  myRef.Waiting := 1

Then if there a "waiting" variable, it will be changed to 1. And if not, game will CTD. Am I thinking in the right direction?

Guest tomm434

That's perfect. We don't need Lutana pluign anymore.(at least I don't see the point now). It's really good! No we can control any custom companion just by looking into his object script! because i think it's a rare case when modder change vital variables when mod is done