GFWL Overlay in non-GFWL Games?

Commander Drag Queen

So for those of you who know, Games for Windows - Live was MS's failed attempt at making a PC version of Xbox Live. And while normally I'd be glad to not deal with it, I find myself needing to use it this holiday season. The short and sweet of it is that I have friends who I'd like to talk with over the month or so that I'm out of classes and about the only way to do so is to talk to them on XBL or by GFWL. Is there any way to run the GFWL overlay separately from a game, or to use it in non-GFWL games (say like Starbound)?

More Details:

Problem is that to send messages on the xbox website, you need to have a gold account. And it'd be a waste of money to buy a gold plan since I don't have an xbox or any way of getting one for a month. I do have a few GFWL titles like Fable III and Dead Rising 2, but one can only play those for so long over Christmas. Besides, I'd like a more practical solution that I can use later.

Archived