11 minutes ago, Pamatronic said:

copying a necessity, yes.

Ok then, lets try something different. Assuming you wanted to write a mod with the same functionality as this bridge, i.e something which reroutes api calls intended for AFF, to NAF.
How would you do this without having file called AFF_API.pex and retaining at the very least the function declarations?

I'm genuinely curios about this, because a solution would open up a lot of new possibilities for mod intercompatibility in general.

Its simply not possible to do without infringing someones work. A bridge, by the common understanding in modding is not legal without permissions.

That doesn't mean that people don't look the other way or dont notice, etc. But, in my case, I don't think an objective observer would blame me for sticking to my rights. It's not a case of some friendly teamwork among modders. It's just a plain asshole move.

[I will add a clarification to my own post to hopefully ward off additional legal nonsense: there IS a copyrightable exception for things that are only possible in one way. But, that is well established in precedent as being about things that are common to a language. For example, flash only having one way to load files. So, inevitably, the way I load files would be similar to many other apps. I could not copyright that aspect of the code. But, that exception would not apply to a unique API that wrote. For the obvious reason that APIs can be written in an unlimited number of ways and there is no special reason why anyones business or personal goals must utilize my work to be successful.]

Edited by dagobaking
  • Ashal locked this topic