My WIP body mod (HGEC - like) (Download page 2)

how do these normals work' date=' I've gotten as far with blending different normals and old normals, but the results are only acceptable.

I know little to nothing of modelling, and if I can't do good normals anymore based of heightmaps I'll be at a loss.

[/quote']

http://www.3dkingdoms.com/tutorial.htm

http://www.surlybird.com/tutorials/TangentSpace/index.html

http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems/gpugems_ch35.html

tl;dr - you need to bake object space normals (feet, hands, face and body meshes merged together or you'll get horrible mis-matched norms)

You can bake normals in Blender, but they turn out supremely crappy.

how do these normals work' date=' I've gotten as far with blending different normals and old normals, but the results are only acceptable.

I know little to nothing of modelling, and if I can't do good normals anymore based of heightmaps I'll be at a loss.

[/quote']

http://www.3dkingdoms.com/tutorial.htm

http://www.surlybird.com/tutorials/TangentSpace/index.html

http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems/gpugems_ch35.html

tl;dr - you need to bake object space normals (feet, hands, face and body meshes merged together or you'll get horrible mis-matched norms)

You can bake normals in Blender, but they turn out supremely crappy.

You would think that would be the greater good, but I doubt that will ever happen, no one is ever satisfied with one thing entirely. A persons tastes very too much from individual to individual. Plus everyone seems to be one upping each other in one area or more in regards to the new bodies. Too much competition is happening here, even if the modders say there is not. Watch one person post his/her improvements on their mesh, then 5 minutes later another is posting a"ha, mines better"or talking shit about the other guys on another forum or chat room.

You would think that would be the greater good' date=' but I doubt that will ever happen, no one is ever satisfied with one thing entirely. A persons tastes very too much from individual to individual. Plus everyone seems to be one upping each other in one area or more in regards to the new bodies. Too much competition is happening here, even if the modders say there is not. Watch one person post his/her improvements on their mesh, then 5 minutes later another is posting a"ha, mines better"or talking shit about the other guys on another forum or chat room.

[/quote']

Yes, that's true. But it doesn't hurt (much) to hope. My idea about this sits in that realm, supermodels are real, a combination of great genes, and hard work gave them those bodies, however DMRA like bodies aren't part of that realm. If a body/mod like I suggest were to be made, it wouldn't stop those who want to use DMRA style bodies instead.

Yes, a lot of people are very proud and would rather put out something themselves and get all the praise for it rather than working with other people.

When you get right down to it, most people seem to think they (and their work) are better than everyone else, so it would be pointless to work with other people who are so obviously, in their eyes, of lower caliber.

So then we get a bunch of solo acts, or a few small teams, all doing the same thing, really.

But a lot of modders seem to also have very distinct and different tastes from one another, which is why small groups tend to form rather than everyone holding hands and working together. If people have very different visions of what the end result will be then it's very difficult to have a cohesive result. Everyone ends up working backwards and ignoring the others anyway.

The only real way we can work together on something like this is if someone makes an absolutely amazing base mesh with a great UV, and I mean like this mesh blows all the others out of the water as far as detail and UV and everything goes, and then has an open license like EyeCandy, and then that's the point when others can work off of that and build their own projects and everything will generally be pretty compatible.

Right now the general idea is just to keep it compatible with vanilla, but some (it seems this one included, when you look at the legs/feet, breast/belly button textures, and how we'd need a replacer to even wear vanilla armors atm) are shying further away from vanilla and the meshes are becoming further incompatible.

So, I dunno what's going to happen. I think eventually we probably are going to have to have full vanilla replacers because improved UV layouts and vastly different shapes. Might not be soon though, since most seem to be trying to keep the UV and general shape close enough to vanilla that it's compatible so a replacer is not necessary.

There's probably going to be a real nasty silent fight over which bodies are used as the standard over the next several weeks to months, with everyone trying to one up one another. I don't think I'm going to be playing Skyrim long enough to see that result though. Nearing 2 months now, that's about the most time I spend in these games before I move on. By January I probably will have moved on...

Who knows, in the end there may be one when the CK comes out that has a bazillion morphs for everything and nothing else is needed to please people (though, that's a very generous guess). I suppose a standard base body would still need to be chosen though for armor mod purposes.

Brokezor: thanks for posting that link to the nexus thread ... my poor, poor ego ;( hehe

Perfection is an impossibility here. Just judging by the comments I've received in the last few weeks. "Make 'em bigger! -- Make 'em smaller!". there is a clear, significant faction that loves the exaggerated proportions, and another rabid group that likes them as realistic as you can get. No one body is going to address all the issues without dozens of sliders

Generally though, I wish people would not simply state that what I've done is "awful" without some sort of supporting rationale. Not only is it relatively insulting, but it doesn't help me fix the problems that I'm not seeing. Any artist can tell you that the eye becomes quickly trained to accept a visual, and it becomes easy to miss errors... constructive criticism helps resolve this. (Xun you've been good at this :))

As far as being a producing silo, isolated and insular with respect to sharing what I've created, I am trying not to be. However, I'm probably not succeeding very well. keeping up with comments, messages, requests for help, etc, has left me with little time to browse the fine work of others and try to ensure that what I'm doing will work with what their doing. Apologies if I have appeared unreasonably egotistical so far!

-Cal

I think there have been lots of useful hints of what could or should be improved, just don't listen to those comments that don't give u anything... And about the look, if realistic or not ... It's YOUR Mod, so it should fit YOUR taste - there will allways be fans of it, and ppl that prefer something else, don't try to please everybody - try to please yourself.

Apologies if I have appeared unreasonably egotistical so far!

-Cal

Unreasonable or egotistical? YOU? In comparison to a few other modders I've run into, you are a perfect ANGEL. Honestly, you've been wonderful period, all comparisons aside.

You are always unfailingly sweet to everyone, even your detractors. Certain other modders (at least 2 that I've run across so far) just say, "hey, it's better than Vanilla" or "don't like my mod, GTFO." You are always willing, nay, eager, for constructive criticism.

I'm perfectly happy with the smallest curvy model, until/unless you work your magic and make it better. Not sure if you're male or female, but I'd have your (in game) babies. Or whatever. :-) :heart: Caliente :heart:

Caliente, you never came off as egoistical. And I'm saying this from the perspective of someone who pointed out errors/issues with your mesh (here and at nexus), has been quite nit-picking regarding minor mesh errors and reads your nexus thread. You've always been very open to positive feedback (you even handled negative feedback better than most people) and as a user of your mod that wants to see it improve I certainly appreciate that.

Note: wanted to post this yesterday but the forum went offline.

Caliente' date=' you never came off as egoistical. And I'm saying this from the perspective of someone who pointed out errors/issues with your mesh (here and at nexus), has been quite nit-picking regarding minor mesh errors and reads your nexus thread. You've always been very open to positive feedback (you even handled negative feedback better than most people) and as a user of your mod that wants to see it improve I certainly appreciate that.

Note: wanted to post this yesterday but the forum went offline.

[/quote']

he has handled it well, even when all idiots had to say was "it is ugly, it is horrible" nothing more.

how fucking helpful of those idiots on nexus.

i think the body is awesome! could it be better? i suppose so, but so could everything else lol.

i like the body, it looks nice and i hope the ck comes out so people can make armor that doesn't require you jury rig an esp.

Hi folks, thanks for the kind words. :)

Knootewoot: Dreamtourist has it right, plus I have my official variant due out fairly soon (modified Phygit's feet, and seamless textures/normals)

fear not for those who think my textures/normals/changes are awful, everything should stay compatible with Phygit's work.

sneak preview:

post-21341-13597872127817_thumb.jpg