Will custom animation mods even happen

So now that Microsoft owns Bethesda, anybody think Bill Gates will give Starfield modders a big F, U and block custom animation mods altogether. Realistically Mr. Gates greater good is more entwined with Xbox as a whole, rather than Bethesda’s success. Just a thought, and I’m wondering what others think.

Is it possible, yes. But I notice that there are a lot of totally SFW mods on nexus, etc for other BGS games that include custom animations. 

An inability to make custom animation would probably kill of a lot of the mainstream modding scene, which would kneecap long term game sales. It maybe wouldn't be the dumbest thing a studio has ever done, but it would have to be in the running for top 5. 

Also, there are persistent rumors to the effect that the new format something that will be more likely to work with Blender or other modern, available tools and not something weird. (Like how FO4 requires a specific year of goddamn 3ds max and a set of conversion tools that are no longer available to the public.) 

Also also, I think LL and similar sites would be smart to keep a low profile in general (like, not showing up in mainstream magazines and Steam threads). This place isn't a secret but it does benefit from plausible deniability. If there's a moral panic about pervy mods, all bets are off.  

tl;dr Nothing at this point is certain, but I am optimistic that it will be possible to make custom animations for starfield. 

Edited by Gray User
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Mods are fun and I wish the community the best of luck whether or not the developers left the door open for animation mods.

I feel though that someone should object to the irrational targeting of Bill Gates. Creating a villain just because we need someone to blame for Starfield's middle-of-the-road content is crazy. It's been 27 years since Bethesda released anything more sexual than a skimpy outfit or character implying prostitution. They aren't  CD Project or Anthrox.

Also,, Bioware, with its Mass Effect sex scenes, is a Microsoft owned studio.

A comedian's take to lighten the mood: 

On 1/3/2024 at 10:17 AM, finhorn said:

Mods are fun and I wish the community the best of luck whether or not the developers left the door open for animation mods.

I feel though that someone should object to the irrational targeting of Bill Gates. Creating a villain just because we need someone to blame for Starfield's middle-of-the-road content is crazy. It's been 27 years since Bethesda released anything more sexual than a skimpy outfit or character implying prostitution. They aren't  CD Project or Anthrox.

Every good story needs a villain. Without a villain there can’t be any heroes. At one point in time people consciously understood that the beneficial things for themselves and for those that their ego associates with self, is considered good. The things that hurt one or their loved ones is considered evil.  This explains why one person’s hero is another person’s villain, and vice versa. And if one expands their ego they may realize that what is good for the world is good for themselves.  

Religion came along and tried to make a universal good and evil, ex. Killing is bad and worshiping god is good, (although killing a non-believer in the name of God may be considered good). By forgetting the fundamental behind good and evil, people disassociate and play a two-faced game. They can no longer say, I am doing this for my personal gain, they must say, I am doing this in the name of God.

let’s get back to the fundamental of good and evil and realize that the profit of the company may change when a small company gets bought out. No longer is a single product the most important thing, rather it is their total sales. Many great products of the past got bought out and shelved in order to keep  disposable trash in circulation.

PS. I think deep down you really think bill gates is a villain as that is how you read my post.

On 1/3/2024 at 4:17 PM, finhorn said:

A comedian's take to lighten the mood: 

While I agree with your point, Bioware is owned by EA, not Microsoft.

9 hours ago, aslab said:

let’s get back to the fundamental of good and evil and realize that the profit of the company may change when a small company gets bought out. No longer is a single product the most important thing, rather it is their total sales. Many great products of the past got bought out and shelved in order to keep  disposable trash in circulation.

Every old enough player remember the change in atmosphere and gameplay between Fallout 2 and Fallout 3.

The first was a "niche" game with few very interested players and the second a money maker with flat and poor deviance to have a lot of customers, the better beeing done in Fallout 4, calling slaves "settlers" ?

On 1/3/2024 at 4:17 PM, finhorn said:

I feel though that someone should object to the irrational targeting of Bill Gates.

Yeah, particular because Bill Gates isn't even in charge of Microsoft anymore. For quite some time.

Don't seem like it. lol even with a framework BG3 is beating it to having animation mods. I'm about ready to just abandon the game and check back a year or so later lol. Doesn't seem like it's attractive for modders. Don't help the game dropped below both Skyrim & Fallout 4 in steam players. I think mod support for this game might be done until Beth can do something to save it. Going back to check Nexus weekly only to see 5 or 9 new mods added in a day for a game that's not even that many months old, is pretty bad.

Edited by vallixas

BG3's had releases available for modders to play with for three years now. Starfield's barely been out three months.

None of the previous Bethesda games had animation frameworks until well after the CK/CS was released.

How about we wait for a CK before proclaiming the failure of sex modding for Starfield?

We did not get an animation kit for FO4 until 6 months after release and some of the first sex animation's until 8-9 months later thanks to Crazy6987 and Leito 86. I wish people would cool their heals rather then wanting everything yesterday.

Edited by CaptainSmash
7 hours ago, DocClox said:

How about we wait for a CK before proclaiming the failure of sex modding for Starfield?

5 hours ago, CaptainSmash said:

I wish people would cool their heals rather then wanting everything yesterday.

I think it's recency bias and expectations getting distorted because of how much more advanced modding is for the games without taking into account how long they've been out. And Starfield's (lets face it) horrible perception in the wider gaming community is only accelerating the desire to mod it. I think when the tools come out and modding picks up speed these frustrations will dissolve.

On 1/17/2024 at 4:46 AM, vallixas said:

Don't help the game dropped below both Skyrim & Fallout 4 in steam players. I think mod support for this game might be done until Beth can do something to save it. Going back to check Nexus weekly only to see 5 or 9 new mods added in a day for a game that's not even that many months old, is pretty bad.

You're not wrong Starfield's condition is really bad right now and if they sit on it for too long things might not recover at all. But it's still too early to pack it up. Like the others said we gotta wait for now. Based pfp btw, love me some Midnights.

Patience. Mods like animations and adult in nature stuff like BDSM ect arent going to happen before Starfield's big update Q1 2024. That gives mod support and resources. Any mods made prior to that patch will have to be updated so modders are sticking to smaller stuff like clothes, textures, and Legendary item modifications.

• 2 weeks later...

Starfield is quite literally a fairly recent beth game and already out of top 100 of steam players, a first for a beth game in history. At this point even New World is still on the chart. Fallout 4 has outlived Starfield already. Unless Beth does something to revitalize this game i'd say stick a fork in it it's done, because even if it manages to throw together some sort of animation mods I don't think many will be around to support or add on to it anyway or even WANT to given the reception.

Edited by vallixas
On 1/27/2024 at 4:37 AM, vallixas said:

Starfield is quite literally a fairly recent beth game and already out of top 100 of steam players, a first for a beth game in history. At this point even New World is still on the chart. Fallout 4 has outlived Starfield already. Unless Beth does something to revitalize this game i'd say stick a fork in it it's done, because even if it manages to throw together some sort of animation mods I don't think many will be around to support or add on to it anyway or even WANT to given the reception.

If you believe the game is dead, then why do you keep wasting time talking about it? Is it for you personally to have visibility before others by strategically placing yourself on the crest of the wave of hate?

I made a video that is on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXl1EHqtciM), in which I explain the main reasons for so much hate for this game. I invite you to see it.

On 1/6/2024 at 7:36 AM, Strec2 said:

Every old enough player remember the change in atmosphere and gameplay between Fallout 2 and Fallout 3.

The first was a "niche" game with few very interested players and the second a money maker with flat and poor deviance to have a lot of customers, the better beeing done in Fallout 4, calling slaves "settlers" ?

This was also the criticism made by Fallout 3 fans when Fallout 4 came out and it will also be the criticism that Fallout 4 fans will make when Fallout 5 comes out.

And the same happened with Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. The previous game is always the good one, and the new one is bad. In the video I mentioned above, I talk about this contradiction: fans of Bethesda's previous RPGs criticize the new game for not being the same as the previous version, which is their favorite game, and the long-dated Bethesda haters criticize the new game for being the same as their previous ones. previous ones.

Watch the video and maybe it will shed some light on what is currently happening with the hatred for this game.

You cannot compare this game to Fallout 4. There was a loud vocal people on the internet that criticized Fallout 4, but it was not universally panned like this one, more importantly Fallout 4 didn't lose like all of it's player base within a span of a few months lol. Beth better do something fast and stop assing around if they want to save this game.

20 minutes ago, vallixas said:

You cannot compare this game to Fallout 4. There was a loud vocal people on the internet that criticized Fallout 4, but it was not universally panned like this one, more importantly Fallout 4 didn't lose like all of it's player base within a span of a few months lol. Beth better do something fast and stop assing around if they want to save this game.

Sadly there may not be any saving this game. We wil have to wait and see what the update brings but that doesnt reverse the damage Nexus did when they started banning modders for DEI reasons. I am hoping The game will turn around for the better with the Update and expansion. So far some modders have created for very promising alterations and fixes to some of the glaringly worst of Starfield issues. *fingers crossed*

9 hours ago, vallixas said:

There are more people now that pan things as their hobby, even for games they never played. And will now devote more time to panning games they didn't like for the rest of their lives. Then there are the sheep that follow them and repost everything without knowing if its true or not. People are still telling us Pluto is just a jpeg.

Edited by Halstrom