Are torches the rarest artifacts in Skyrim?

afro-herbalist

LOL I remember in Oblivion, you could find a torch in practically every single container you cared to look into. There were so many torches you ended up getting sick of seeing them everywhere. I guess the guys at bethesda realised there were too many of them, so in Skyrim they made sure to only include 1 in every 1000 containers!

I swear, I've found ONE torch right near the start of the game, and I've had the game (played nearly every day for ATLEAST 2 hours) for nearly 2 weeks now and I'm level 17 or 18. Where the hell do you find these things!? I have the candle-light spell, but I'm not feeling the cold halogen blue shade it has, and I dont like how you cant deactivate the spell if you need to go ninja style on somebodies ass.

Wheres the best place I can find some freaking torches LOL!?:huh:

On the wall?

Seriously' date=' every cave you go in, every dungeon, every building, basically has torches on the wall. Just reach up and take it.

[/quote']

Yeah I stumbled onto that in one dungeon when I was looking for a switch to open a secret door. When I grabbed the torch I thought it would open the door and not just give me a torch. Seemed a little obvious but I guess I never really thought I could just grab it from the wall. I only used a torch once anyway and then I just ignored them to focus on my stealth instead.

It would be cool if they had more function to them, like if they hurt the eyes of the falmer or could be used to keep rats/spiders at bay. Or being able to do things like using it to light your arrows on fire. Otherwise they seem to be of little use other than putting a big spot light on you for your enemies.

Dude the game is full of torches lol just pick them from the walls.

Question: Does anyone actually use them? Not kidding i have 4 characters +30 lvl and i used just a single torch in the thieves guild quest.

I do, sometimes. I brought the lighting down to the lowest brightness settings that it gets very dark in some areas. The darkness adds ambiance... and fear...

What!? I already tried taking a torch from the walls of some caves, but I didn't get the option! Is this feature part of a new patch or something, cos I cant take torches from walls.

I brought the lighting down to the lowest brightness settings that it gets very dark in some areas. The darkness adds ambiance... and fear...

I agree with this man. If your a person who likes atmosphere in a game, then darkness is ESSENTIAL. Whats an abandoned castle in the dead of night, with no lightsources, if its not dark... its false and feels wrong. Places should only be light where there are actual light sources. They had a mod for oblivion which fixed these issues, and was perfect in combination with a mod which gave NPC's torches while in dark conditions, indoors or out. With the dynamic shadows used in Skyrim, then true lighting should have been implemented, to put the icing on the cake, but modders will hopefully make a good "darker dungeons mod" soon.

I guess the reason I like torches is because you can put them away whenever you need, but with a light spell, it stays on till its expired.

not all the torches can be taken. the ones with metal are stuck to the wall and cant be taken. look at them closely, ull find the difference son enough. also, this is a temporal method to dark some areas in wich u neeed to sneak.

ps. its funny how u can take a torch right in the face of a hostile npc and he doesnt say a thing. that wasnt a problem even in olders games like thief... hope this can be fixed with a mod...

Hi,

you think picking up torches ryt infront of enemys is bad? get to lvl 90 pickpocket and you can do my signature in the middle of a wide open courtyard (i did it with the imperial training grounds in solitude). This game isn't one for realisim in its theft/sneak department. XD

not all the torches can be taken. the ones with metal are stuck to the wall and cant be taken. look at them closely' date=' ull find the difference son enough. also, this is a temporal method to dark some areas in wich u neeed to sneak.

ps. its funny how u can take a torch right in the face of a hostile npc and he doesnt say a thing. that wasnt a problem even in olders games like thief... hope this can be fixed with a mod...

[/quote']

LOL what do you mean, like if your sneaking around, and you take one off a wall next to an enemy, he wont even notice!? HAHA, yea I remember in Thief the enemies would usually say stuff like "Hey, what happened to this light?", "Whoever doused this torch better have a good excuse", "I thought this door was closed? Nah must be imagining things". All of the Thief games were great, I wish the company would rise from the ashes to make a new one!

Archived