Change of Game Taste

Molevalence

Hello fellow Fallout gamers. I have never played a fallout game but I want to try something new and different from Skyrim as it has been my primary choice for my favorite offline game for quite a long time. I did a little research and seen the Fallout games especially Fallout 3 and its New Vegas expansion. I just wanted the opinion of the fellow community just to help better my decision. Is the game fun for offline play and with all the mods this community has made for it will that enhance the features the game already offers?

I am not a picky gamer. I just want something different and to take a break from Skyrim. Fallout used modern weapons like guns and whatnot also the desert environment is a good change of view which helped me steer towards this game in the first place. Any input would be greatly appreciated. :)

Well first off New Vegas isn't an expansion to Fallout 3 it's its own game (although if you have both there are mods that can link the two.)

And yeah they are fun games, there's enough modded content to keep you entertained even after you finish the main games a few times.

I would play Fallout 3 first, simply because it isn't quite as nice in terms of weapons.

Melee weapons support is much better in New  Vegas, and there are way more

weapons to choose from if you get Gun Runners Arsenal.

That being said, Fallout 3 just plain looks better, and I enjoy the Capitol Wasteland

a lot more than the Mojave. Get the mod that adds interiors to a bunch of buildings

for Fallout 3 and install it from the very start; you won't regret it.

I've played both, and would agree with what the others have said.

The Fallout series plays a lot like the Oblivion/Skyrim series, but being modern, it is a totally different feel.  And yes, like Mike said, I think the Fallout quests seem to have more of a role playing feel, more like you must suffer the consequences of your decisions type thing.

The mod that links the two games is called Tale of Two Wastelands, if you want to check on it.   I've not played it, but have thought about it.  It sounds very interesting, as you can then use the same character for both areas.

If you don't use that, I would definately play Fallout 3 before New Vegas.    It gives you a bit more background, if you are new to the series, and has one of the BEST designed tutorials that I think I have ever experienced in a game.

Also, another thing I thought was cool in the Fallout series, as opposed to the Skyrim series-   Its no secret that it is an apocalyptic future.   Fallout 3 is set in Washington DC, so unlike Skyrim, as you explore the ruins, you keep running across things and area that you actually recognize from real life, which makes it a really cool experience. 

Fallout 3 isn't very good for the most part. One of the expansions is great but in general the base game just isn't very good. It took no less than 80 mods for me to enjoy it. The swamp expansion is decent. Unless you really like underground tunnels and train stations. Then you'll love it as is.

NV is great and what the real Fallout 3 was meant to be before everything got sold off.

Fallout 3 isn't very good for the most part. One of the expansions is great but in general the base game just isn't very good. It took no less than 80 mods for me to enjoy it. The swamp expansion is decent. Unless you really like underground tunnels and train stations. Then you'll love it as is.

NV is great and what the real Fallout 3 was meant to be before everything got sold off.

Im not a picky gamer. I can play almost anything and enjoy it. Since this will be my first time playing fallout I am quite confident. If its a bomb It was only 20 bucks for Fallout 3 all its expansions and Fallout New Vegas plus all it's addons. :P

Even if I'm a big Skyrim lover, Fallout is the only one that still has not bored me after such a long time, I played it at least 3 times more the time I spent in Skyrim. My love for it is just too big. If I should suggest you one between 3 and NV, I couldn't. I see them as completely different experiences. NV has more positive points, for me, I find DLC real amazing expansions, relationships with companions are better and generally I see better relationships with npcs, their stories, etc. But on the other side, Fallout 3 has a real wasted and scary feeling, what NV has not. I'm never scared to die in NV for example, everything's bright and joyful, while 3 is very dark and pessimistic. 3 is a Mad Max experience, NV is a... I don't know, sometimes I feel so bossy wandering around the Mojave. And about mods, 3 has something that NV has not: FWE, for me is an experience that I never lived in any other NV mods (that generally are more sofisticated). I really think both deserve to be played, even if not in a certain order (me, I played NV before 3)

If you are experienced in modding or better yet using mods and such try the TWW.  Tale of two Wastelands. Link both FO3 and FNV together. then you can play through to the FNV side of the game and beyond. There are some issues with mods not working between them like not activating etc. but with careful reading and following instructions you should be able to enjoy both and not miss on either. If you like sex in your game many of the Sexout mods are being worked on to be able to be used in FO3 to a point with hopefully more to come. Finally the TWW uses the newer Fallout NV engine which is more stable in many opinion than the one that was used for FO3. Since you have both you can do this. Try the main site for TWW and read and perhaps join them for q and a. There are a few individuals that are working on various additions here on this site in the Sexout Forums.

I have used it but decided I wanted to try the older mods from FO3 like Playthings and Humping the Mohave etc.

Archived