New game and enemy factions are non-hostile.

Started a new game via Skyrim Unbound, and nothing attacks me.  Wolves, skeletons, bandits, nada.  They will let me beat them to death and don't acknowledge me at all. On a whim, i attacked a city guard and died very quickly. So, it's not combat related, but that's all i know.

i'm hoping for some advice on how to resolve this.

If you've got More Informative Console you can check to see if your dragonborn is for some reason in the enemy factions.
It should also list the mod that last made changes to your dragonborn, so you should be able to pop that mod into SSEdit and check if it's adding you to factions you're not supposed to be in.

That's just a guess though, could be something completely different lol

I do believe i have found the issue.  I would appear to be Skyrim Immersive Creatures.  On the last page in the MCM, there's a setting to adjust Actor AI difficulty.  Once i disabled it, everything in the area suddenly wanted to kick my ass.  :P