Let's Talk about Food

While the truth is that I could burn water, I would like to know about your favorite dishes and recipes.

I am serious, my cooking ability is not good, but I do like good food.

Regional dishes, Recipes that you have in your favorites list, simple meals, Extravagant meals it does not matter. 

I will post my favorite snack for outdoor adventures, It is a hardy cake/bread like food that is filling and delicious.

I have to give most away as I would be hard pressed to eat all of it very quickly.

Recipe is from the book "The Jewel Cave Adventure" about caving in South Dakota, A good read if I do say so myself.

If the pics are to small look at the book online or enlarge the pics.

Rules; Food topics only, chat about food allowed, any deviation will be removed!

Pics and vids allowed if only of and about food, no deviations allowed!

Edit; Real Food topics only, can include from Skyrim cookbook, Fallout 4 cookbook as long as it is a real food item.

recipe for logan bread-2 - Copy.JPG

recipe for logan bread - Copy.JPG

recipe for logan bread-1 - Copy.JPG

Edited by Sir Bron

Sorry about the dirty fingernails in photo, my buddy was holding the Recipe pages open while I took the pics, we were putting up stone on his house that day, afterwards we made Masa and had some lovely tacos!

Something very simple ... "apple pancakes"

Needed:

Flour - cow's milk - chicken eggs - apple (sour most suitable) - sugar - salt

Wash the apples and remove the peel - de-seed and cut into thin slices

place enough flour in a bowl (a cup of flour requires a chicken egg)

Crack eggs and separate egg whites from yolks...yolks in bowl with flour...whites in separate bowl

add some sugar to the egg whites and now beat it with a "mixer" (or "wire whisk") to a stiff foam - set aside

Mix flour + egg yolk and milk to form a dough - don't forget some salt - the amount of milk depends on the desired consistency of the dough

(you can also add some cinnamon to the dough)

Now add the "snow" of egg white to the dough and mix CAREFULLY ... "lift underneath"

(this makes the dough "lighter")

Put the pan on the stove - power on ... some oil in the pan

Using a ladle, pour the desired amount of dough into the hot pan and then cover the dough flatbread with the apple slices

turn once - so that the apple slices fry

take it out and... done

wash up all the kitchen clutter after eating

Where to even start with this topic???  The one thing for certain is it's all about the meat.

A nice thick ribeye, smoked and then reverse seared is impossible to beat.  Ribeye is a meal unto itself, but maybe add some shrimp (either grilled or pan-fried in butter), or a piece of chicken, and then a baked potato with sour cream and scallion, along with some French bread or even a grilled cheese sandwich.

So many things that I've done on my grill or smoker - chili-lime marinated chicken, smoked chuck roast or brisket, smoked whole chicken or turkey, ribs...

Spaghetti with meatballs and sausage is a winner too, even better paired with ribeye and some Chianti.  Fried chicken, bacon cheeseburgers (bacon makes everything better)...

I really got a taste for Lebanese food when I lived and worked in the Middle East, and for Thai food when I lived there.

And of course the staples of the US takeout scene - pizza and Chinese.

44 minutes ago, Alessia Wellington said:

Aside from fresh blood, pretty much anything that fits into the microwave. Some of my favourites would be Spaghetti Bolognese, lasagne, pizza and fish 'n chips.

Now I would have expected you to go all Hannibal Lechter on us and tell us you wanted to eat our livers, with a nice Chianti.  Maybe not as good as some fresh AB negative, but close?

Vor 7 Minuten sagte Alessia Wellington:

Vampire ≠ Kannibalen.

except in the province of Himmelsrand - but these are just not earthly vampires .... just as "Nirn" is NOT "Earth"".

that's why there is through the Serana mod

also recipes like "pussy kebab

1 hour ago, Miauzi said:

Something very simple ... "apple pancakes"

Needed:

Flour - cow's milk - chicken eggs - apple (sour most suitable) - sugar - salt

Wash the apples and remove the peel - de-seed and cut into thin slices

place enough flour in a bowl (a cup of flour requires a chicken egg)

Crack eggs and separate egg whites from yolks...yolks in bowl with flour...whites in separate bowl

add some sugar to the egg whites and now beat it with a "mixer" (or "wire whisk") to a stiff foam - set aside

Mix flour + egg yolk and milk to form a dough - don't forget some salt - the amount of milk depends on the desired consistency of the dough

(you can also add some cinnamon to the dough)

Now add the "snow" of egg white to the dough and mix CAREFULLY ... "lift underneath"

(this makes the dough "lighter")

Put the pan on the stove - power on ... some oil in the pan

Using a ladle, pour the desired amount of dough into the hot pan and then cover the dough flatbread with the apple slices

turn once - so that the apple slices fry

take it out and... done

wash up all the kitchen clutter after eating

This is something I think even I can make! Gonna Try it.  

браво.gif

58 minutes ago, travelmedic said:

Where to even start with this topic???  The one thing for certain is it's all about the meat.

A nice thick ribeye, smoked and then reverse seared is impossible to beat.  Ribeye is a meal unto itself, but maybe add some shrimp (either grilled or pan-fried in butter), or a piece of chicken, and then a baked potato with sour cream and scallion, along with some French bread or even a grilled cheese sandwich.

So many things that I've done on my grill or smoker - chili-lime marinated chicken, smoked chuck roast or brisket, smoked whole chicken or turkey, ribs...

Spaghetti with meatballs and sausage is a winner too, even better paired with ribeye and some Chianti.  Fried chicken, bacon cheeseburgers (bacon makes everything better)...

I really got a taste for Lebanese food when I lived and worked in the Middle East, and for Thai food when I lived there.

And of course the staples of the US takeout scene - pizza and Chinese.

I think you were hungry when you posted that, I could not eat all that in a week! Sounds good though.

21 minutes ago, Miauzi said:

my parents as well as my relatives have been pestering me about it for 50 years.

:classic_laugh: I grew up where my grandfather planted it in our garden. But it was too much work for too little food and he moved on to potatoes, beans, strawberries and such.

:classic_happy:

35 minutes ago, worik said:

?

SpargelSauceHollandaise-1024x683.jpgAlmost identical to our  plates, last sunday

Looks good, but me and Asparagus don't mix.  :classic_blush:

It is still coming up every year in the garden area, nice to let the dog graze on.

Edited by Sir Bron
1 hour ago, Alessia Wellington said:

Aside from fresh blood,

59 minutes ago, travelmedic said:

I would have expected you to go all Hannibal Lechter

43 minutes ago, Miauzi said:

except in the province of Himmelsrand - but these are just not earthly vampires .... just as "Nirn" is NOT "Earth"".

that's why there is through the Serana mod

While you Jokers are funny, Let's keep this about real food.

Please and Thank You.

Vor 6 Minuten sagte Sir Bron:

Ich glaube, du hattest Hunger, als du das gepostet hast, ich könnte das alles in einer Woche nicht essen! Hört sich aber gut an.

Here on our satellite TV we have a few channels that actually only broadcast US programs (dubbed) - including various rallies on the topic "I'm setting the latest record in this restaurant".

What some choke on ... enough for me and my wife for several days!

Much more interesting are programs on the various regional "cuisines" - for example the tens of thousands of different ways to prepare meat (from whatever animal it comes from) - very often by smoking in the smoke ... and of course the many influences of the hundreds of nationalities (in terms of spice use)

---

apart from that ... that's how I came up with "Competition of the Gunsmiths" ... and the quote from one of the jury members made its way into my blog story

36 minutes ago, Miauzi said:

very often by smoking in the smoke

Mmm smoked meats....While we did smoke an Apple pie to perfection on a Traeger pellet fired grill one time. Mmm Apple Pie...:tongue:

8 minutes ago, Alessia Wellington said:

I really like pork blood. It's got a nice, sweet-metallic aftertaste.

I have seriously never tried blood curd, or their "Oysters" either.

When I was a kid we were castrating hogs and the owner of the hogs was throwing all the testicles in a bucket, after some time I finally asked him what he was going to do with "Those" he smiled and told me.

Well I was 13 years old and had not been raised eating "those" so it sounded pretty gross to me.  :thumbsdown:

Edited by Sir Bron
Vor 19 Minuten sagte Sir Bron:

Ja, es gibt alle Arten von Verwendungsmöglichkeiten für verschiedene Tierblute. Ich denke, es kommt darauf an, was regional oder familiär ist, ob es Ihrem erworbenen Geschmack entspricht oder nicht. :classic_sad:

It is very regional - also in Germany.

It simply has to do with the fact that a farmer who fattened 2-3 pigs himself in the barn next to the house wanted to get as much as possible out of the animal.

My grandmother on my mother's side comes from the village - her two brothers each took over a (classic) farm.

So I still know (indirectly) the slaughtering of animals - not directly the killing and bleeding - but all the other processing steps that are needed, for example, for the production of a "long-life sausage". As a child, I just watched ... it's pretty hard physical work.

And the sausage wasn't as "red" inside as the one from the shop ... well - I only learned about all the stuff about preservatives and "prettifiers" much later.

The use of animal blood for sausage was also part of it ... but there are also other things that go into it ... but that's exactly what varies from region to region (like parts of the tongue, for example).

---

and there is another speciality from my original homeland -> "dead granny".

pig's blood is also used in this dish - but the name has more to do with "sarcasm" than with "cannibalism".

https://www.vomwochenmarkt.de/magazin/rezepte/tote-oma-der-ostdeutsche-klassiker/

(the "English" must please use the translator here)

Edited by Miauzi
5 minutes ago, Miauzi said:

So I still know (indirectly) the slaughtering of animals - not directly the killing and bleeding - but all the other processing steps that are needed, for example, for the production of a "long-life sausage". As a child, I just watched ... it's pretty hard physical work.

I have been involved in all aspects of Animal slaughter, Cows, Pigs (very Hard to accomplish) Deer, Goats, various Fowl, Fishes. Never was something I enjoyed, just had to or starve kind of thing, so I know what you mean.

The home processed meats are better tasting to me than the "Store bought" meats, at least to me they are. 

Old Time Recipes handed down for generations came into play on most if not all meats we processed.

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-nasty-bits-testicles-offal-grilled-deep-fried-rocky-mountain-oysters-recipe