What is the limit of Vortex?

Mainly a curiosity post, but I've heard a lot of bad things about Vortex. At one point is Vortex gonna not be working for me anymore? I'm about 680 mods in and it's still stable from what I can tell.

Tldr; When should I switch to MO2 or will Vortex keep working, and what are the pros and cons of each nowadays?
xvideos

Edited by ric999

The big issue with Vortex is conflict handling. If you have lots of mods touching the same files, it's very easy to end up with circular rules and those can be a giant pain to unwind. With MO2, what's lower in the list wins in conflicts. Vortex, for some reason, allows you to say "mod B should override mod A, mod C should override mod B, and mod A should override mod C."

Another hangup with Vortex is profile switching. If you have multiple large mod list profiles, it can take minutes to switch between them because Vortex has to remove a bunch of hard links from your hard drive and make a bunch of new ones. MO2 is literally two seconds to switch profiles, if that.

Vortex also directly touches your Skyrim folder (or it did when I last tried it). That's not recommended.

In my opinion MO2 offers a level of control Vortex simply cant, if you are in the middle of a save and don't want to lose progress don't change now, changing to MO2 most likely means you will have to start new save. if you are that many mods in and your game is stable leave as is.