Stability

sumeldar

I had my oblivion install working PERFECTLY! Playing for 4-hour periods and LOVING it!

Until friday frickin night...

ATI decided to push out their "Ver 11.11 Catalyst" driver package and before I could think twice it had downloaded to my PC and overwrote everything that I had loaded already.

Sure enough, as soon as I start my game....black screen of death.

CTRL-ALT-DEL, end game process, uninstall the entire ATI driver package and software from my PC, Reboot, load up the "ver 10" driver package, start Oblivion...everything works, but now I can only play for 30 minutes before the game crashes.

I'm right back in the hellhole I was in a month ago all over again...

I f'n hate this godforsaken game and if I ever meet someone that works for Bethesda I'm gonna kick their ass just on principle.

Every little thing that happens to your PC mucks with this damnable game, from loading up a new keyboard or mouse, to leaving the internet connected to looking at your computer wrong.

This is the only game on my darn PC that acts like this.

• 5 months later...

Imo it's not worth running weocps, there's too many anecdotes of save game corruption and its another thing to keep track of for bugs.

I'm a bit iffy on even running Streamline, OSR with a pcb mod like kuertee's cleanup seems good enough. There seems a bit of overlap between OSR and Streamline's features anyway.

I have 32-bit Winxp, so one of my biggest stability problems is running out of mem.

My longest Modblivion game was about 60hrs with a mem crash every 2-3hrs. I had mostly quest mods, lovers, some magic fixers and DR5 on an FCOM install but no major graphics mods aside from body replacers and stuff. I didn't run into any problems aside from another game calling me away.

What I saw with attempts at my first Modblivion game is that I can't have it all when it comes to mods, one is my system limitations and two is conflicts between similar shiny mods.

http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/22282

Is it worth to run Windom Earle_s Oblivion Crash Prevention System? I read comments that it can cause later catastrophe of unleashed crashes after crashes. I need some advice on weOCPS.

Please see my long winded explanation in post 8. The idiots that are making the claims are your typical nexus knuckleheads that like to "think" they understand crap that they obviously DON'T.

My long winded explanation will answer all your questions but I recommend grabbing a soda and a pizza before reading it. :P

Imo it's not worth running weocps' date=' there's too many anecdotes of save game corruption and its another thing to keep track of for bugs.

I'm a bit iffy on even running Streamline, OSR with a pcb mod like kuertee's cleanup seems good enough. There seems a bit of overlap between OSR and Streamline's features anyway.

I have 32-bit Winxp, so one of my biggest stability problems is running out of mem.

My longest Modblivion game was about 60hrs with a mem crash every 2-3hrs. I had mostly quest mods, lovers, some magic fixers and DR5 on an FCOM install but no major graphics mods aside from body replacers and stuff. I didn't run into any problems aside from another game calling me away.

What I saw with attempts at my first Modblivion game is that I can't have it all when it comes to mods, one is my system limitations and two is conflicts between similar shiny mods.

[/quote']

To be completely honest I don't know where the "it causes save game bloating" nonsense comes from. I have run WeOPs since it came out and have NEVER had a single incident of game bloat. I also have NEVER lost a save game to corruption.

As to streamline and OSR - yes they do overlap "IF" you enable the memory management of both (which is not recommended - use OSR for that). Again I run both of these and I can play oblivion without crashing for 8+ hours at a single sitting - yea I know I need to get a life :)

Memory management is a crucial feature for you since you are stuck with the 32bit XP system and can only use 2gig of memory. Any mod which purges your memory should help be it PCB or OSR or Streamline.

One crucial thing to keep in mind is the mods you may be running as that can offset all the utilities in the world and make your game a crash fest. Moblivion is one such mod - last I knew it was still a beta and if you were running it with FCOM you were likely stressing the heck out of your system and that was causing the problem.

Long story short too many people want to blame the utilities when it is the incompatible mods that they are running that is causing the problems. :s

EDIT: Sroro I am not accusing you of any of this so please don't take this the wrong way. I am guessing you understand the gist of what I am saying here.

I meant Moddded Oblivion (modblivion). Anyway' date=' I might give weocps another look upon thinking of that. I'm too fond of trusting the comments.

[/quote']

Oops...:blush:

I thought you were referring to the Morroblivion mod: http://morroblivion.com/

As to comments on the nexus.....take them with a grain of salt. Some really are good/insightful and some are a load of "you know what" :P

My game is almost 100 hours long now, and I am using OBSE v20 + weOCPS with no particular issues related to these tools, among others :

13b65e192780711.jpg

I also would recommend the following, which has produced wonders for me :

http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/39550?sid=BGEzBHzByyDFEzzBwvAHHtyCFEHtEDCzHBtCwAAu

If there is a crash that isn't caught by weOCPS, that FastExit somehow doesn't manage, allowing a smooth quit, and your game freezes instead, the above allows you to summon the task manager, and kill the faulty Oblivion process, to recover control instead of forcing a reboot.

Just make sure to start the game in windowed mode, in the same resolution than your desktop, and to close any addons to your windows explorer window, like I have to do before using this.

As an added benefit, it works for FNV, and I gained a noticeable increase of FPS in both games.

YMMV, of course, but it's worth a try.

About "Windom Earle_s Oblivion Crash Prevention System"' date=' in tesnexus I have read the next comment, and I need to know if it is true for more people:

"it does odd things to the way oblivion works after installing it. For example, I noticed that after installing it, you can't choose your hairstyle when making a new character or using the showracemenu command. Also, all the custom animations I've added into the game don't seem to function anymore. This also seems to clash a little with UVII for whatever reason.. and the game seems to build a dependency on it because after removing the plugin it starts crashing a lot more than it was originally. It still is a good thing to have, but once you're on it, you're in for life or something"

After read that, I fear the plugin. Someone has the same problem as this guy?

[/quote']

Totally FALSE!!! The guy is a nut job that likely couldn't tear his way out of a wet paper bag. WeOCPS is a single dll file that functions using OBSE. Delete the weOCPS.dll from your obse plugins folder and it is gone. Don't listen to the freak. People like make me sick. :( By the way I do run DR6 and a retardedly huge amount of custom animations along with having just about every race that has ever been made in my game and NEVER had a problem. So as you can see, he is talking out of his ass :)

Now having said that I will say this, if you are hearing the ding (it dings when it prevents a crash) very often you really need to find out what is going on. WeOCPS doesn't fix anything, rather it is just designed to keep you playing through the occasional Oblivion crash. Installing OSR and Streamline to redo your stack hashes (memory management) and memory purging and having WeOCPs as a backup to them can have you actually playing for hours upon hours without crashing. :)

That means when I hear ding (crash prevented) I can safely save my game without worrying? :)

It's more of a 'WHUMP' sound in my case, might differ from system to system. I rarely get to hear it at all anyway. But yes, save to your heart's content, I never noticed savegame corruption due to the 'Crash Prevention System'. Though saving to a new slot everytime is advised instead of overwriting old files, disk memory space is cheap after all.

Hmm, well apart from OSR 4.1.0 that's it for my rig.

I run Wrye Bash mind, clean mods myself, oh and run Wrye Morph (if your game is unstable, all bets are off. As Wrye says: Newbie Begone!).

Current Game time?

Save 554 at Day 459 Play 494 hours 43 mins. 5777Kb. No Bloat.

From memory? About 5 crashes, usually after 6+ hours of play. (So rare, I can't remember)

(Not counting issue with the Estrus upgrade, which were sorted with the patcher release).

That means when I hear ding (crash prevented) I can safely save my game without worrying? :)

Sure, as Poontank stated it is quite safe to make a save after you hear the ding. As to the sound itself....it uses a default sound file so if you changed it (knowingly or unknowingly) then that becomes the new default and is what you hear.

WeOPs is just a backup safety net for the occasional CTD. If you start hearing the ding often then you need to fire up your utilities and see what is wrong/broken.

Hmm' date=' well apart from OSR 4.1.0 that's it for my rig.

I run Wrye Bash mind, clean mods myself, oh and run Wrye Morph (if your game is unstable, all bets are off. As Wrye says: Newbie Begone!).

Current Game time?

Save 554 at Day 459 Play 494 hours 43 mins. 5777Kb. No Bloat.

From memory? About 5 crashes, usually after 6+ hours of play. (So rare, I can't remember)

(Not counting issue with the Estrus upgrade, which were sorted with the patcher release).

[/quote']

This is the ideal setup but very few folks are as skilled and put as much work into your game as you, thus the need for stuff like WeOPs. :)

I get save game corruption quite often. I click the save my game and it crashes and trying to load that save crashes my game after giving me the corrupt save message. I don't know if it's weOCPS though.

I get save game corruption quite often. I click the save my game and it crashes and trying to load that save crashes my game after giving me the corrupt save message. I don't know if it's weOCPS though.

Are you making a manual save (hitting escape and selecting new save - not overwriting another)?

If you are crashing while making a save then yes that will corrupt the save game since it was not able to complete the save.

This isn't a WeOps issue but rather something else. The only way WeOps could be involved is if you hear the ding as you are saving and it crashes on the ding. It could be a ton of different things, from bad ini files to load order problems and/or just general conflicts. Either way it is a serious issue if it happens frequently, I advise you to break out the utilities (Wrye Bash, Tes4Edit and such) to track down what is going wrong.

Sure it does help. The degree of aid it has depends on what plugins you are running and your system.....meaning it won't magically get you to 60fps but it can add back a couple fps. A couple here and a couple there can make a big difference.

All in all it certainly will not hurt you!

Are you making a manual save (hitting escape and selecting new save - not overwriting another)?

If you are crashing while making a save then yes that will corrupt the save game since it was not able to complete the save.

This isn't a WeOps issue but rather something else. The only way WeOps could be involved is if you hear the ding as you are saving and it crashes on the ding. It could be a ton of different things' date=' from bad ini files to load order problems and/or just general conflicts. Either way it is a serious issue if it happens frequently, I advise you to break out the utilities (Wrye Bash, Tes4Edit and such) to track down what is going wrong.

[/quote']

Yes, I am manually saving. Sometimes I overwrite unimportant saves. I have also turned off autosaving and I don't quicksave. I used to have streamline on but I turned it off because I tend to try and save at the same time as streamline and it crashes the game. Also the forced visual changes that it makes are annoying at times when they aren't necessary.

But at any rate, I'll try out what you suggested, thanks.

If you mean ' date=' it's added by this tool :

http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=36370

In most other cases, Gregahit is correct though :)

For Oblivion, people usually associate LAME with Less Annoying magic experience :

http://theelderscrolls.info/?go=dlfile&fileid=219

[/quote']

Oops I did blow that one didn't I........:blush:

I should have gone to bed last night instead of watching that movie and hanging around the forums. I only have two feet but managed to get four in my mouth in short order and I can't even blame it on being drunk since I was sober as a jail bird......:s

Thanks for the catch and save there ljacquard!!!! :D

Archived