58 minutes ago, BananasManiac said:

One of my main design goals is to not require users to read through the mod page to understand the mod.

This mod technically also works outside of cities, so if you for whatever reason see a guard you could by a license then and there.

Yeah that's fair to make it as easy to use as possible. When I first used SLS, I did kinda get lost figuring out where to buy licenses... But, finding your way to a Hold capital and reaching its steward does provide an extra bit of challenge on top of the coin/gold check. You could also add dialogue to indicate where to buy licenses, as you said.

> "If you're looking to buy a license, talk to the steward."

Other improvements:

1. Check and strip slots [31, 42], [33], [37] - slots for helmet, gloves, and shoes - in addition to chest slot [32] so players can't cheese it by occupying the other slots.

2. Periodic, repeating check rather than only on event. I was able to evade a single guard by running around the Whiterun tree until he gave up. Afterward, since your current conditions don't allow it, a player won't be checked again so long as they stay where they are.

18 minutes ago, Gyra said:

> "If you're looking to buy a license, talk to the steward."

Yes, but I wouldn't even know where every steward is and would then need to tab out the game to google for it.

But I could add it as an optional feature in an upcoming version.

1. Check and strip slots [31, 42], [33], [37] - slots for helmet, gloves, and shoes - in addition to chest slot [32] so players can't cheese it by occupying the other slots.

This doesn't work that well with bikini armor so I decided to only check the body slot.

Head slot also introduces issues with wigs.

2. Periodic, repeating check rather than only on event. I was able to evade a single guard by running around the Whiterun tree until he gave up. Afterward, since your current conditions don't allow it, a player won't be checked again so long as they stay where they are.

Yes, it is possible to cheese the system.

I'm torn on introducting periodic checks though. I think the current system works in 95% of the cases.

Players will always be able to cheese certain mechanics and I think players who download this mod are typically roleplaying to a certain extend, rather then min/maxing and cheesing.

I'm not completely against it, but would like to wait for more feedback on that topic before making a decision.

14 minutes ago, BananasManiac said:

Yes, but I wouldn't even know where every steward is and would then need to tab out the game to google for it.

Hm... then maybe purchase from the Jarl? ? Everyone should be able to find where the Jarl sleeps. Steward is also usually next to the Jarl, which is why I suggested them. I also suggested Steward because he/she is already the only person capable of selling you land or houses, and narrative-wise they take care of the mundane stuff for the Jarl. Making it optional would be good, I guess, since buying from Steward also feeds into the roleplay aspect.

22 minutes ago, BananasManiac said:

This doesn't work that well with bikini armor so I decided to only check the body slot.

Head slot also introduces issues with wigs.

I've never coded for a Skyrim mod, but does SLS check for all possible armor that's not tagged as DD? Not sure what the exact checking conditions are, but it was quite effective in this regard. That system could be mimicked to extend your mod's strip capability beyond slot 32. Or is it possible to check for all equipped items that have an armor value, with enabled weight sliders, and combine these conditions by auto-whitelisting items based on keywords in their name (e.g. hair, wig)?

In any case, thanks for your work!

17 minutes ago, Gyra said:

Hm... then maybe purchase from the Jarl? ? Everyone should be able to find where the Jarl sleeps. Steward is also usually next to the Jarl, which is why I suggested them. I also suggested Steward because he/she is already the only person capable of selling you land or houses, and narrative-wise they take care of the mundane stuff for the Jarl. Making it optional would be good, I guess, since buying from Steward also feeds into the roleplay aspect.

I will add an option to make it only purchasable by the steward, your explanation of it's narrative fit makes a lot of sense to me

I've never coded for a Skyrim mod, but does SLS check for all possible armor that's not tagged as DD? Not sure what the exact checking conditions are, but it was quite effective in this regard. That system could be mimicked to extend your mod's strip capability beyond slot 32. Or is it possible to check for all equipped items that have an armor value, with enabled weight sliders, and combine these conditions by auto-whitelisting items based on keywords in their name (e.g. hair, wig)?

I could definitely check for more slots, but I'm hesitant to check all slots, because I don't know how resource intensive such a check would be.

But if I only check for the commonly used boots/helmet/gloves slots then it's likely that the results will be very inconsistent based which slots your armor mods use.

That's why I'm only checking body at this moment.

I don't know what SLS is checking for and stripping from the player. I haven't had the mod installed for a while.

7 hours ago, MorS@ said:

What ENB did you use for your screenshot?
Also is there any chance you would make this integrate into SLS so the SLS license system is replaced by this?

Modlist is Masterstroke hosted on Wabbajack.

ENB is PI-CHO

No integration for SLS is planned

Edited by BananasManiac

Alright, after a bit more playtesting and gathering of feedback I will work on the following additions next:

• (Optional) Regular polling Guard approach
    • configurable time interval
  • (Optional) Items in inventory cause violation
  • (Optional) boots, helmet and gloves cause violation

Feel free to share feedback on those proposed changes

Released Version 1.0.3

• Added option to also check helmet, hands and feet armor slots
    • doesn't work well in combination with bikini armor license, because only the body slot has the keyword assigned
  • Added option to have guards check based on interval in addition to cell/loc changes and equip/unequip events
8 hours ago, BananasManiac said:

(Optional) Items in inventory cause violation

I like this as well. Though it conflicts with your current design as guards only unequip items by default. I imagine your quick and easy resolution would be to auto-enable item confiscation if "Item in Inventory" causes violation. So I'd push once more for an option for Item Unequips if w/ license in town & city cells, and Item Confiscations if w/o license in said cells. Narrative-wise: woman are a danger to themselves, and no one wants to actually see an armed woman in inhabited areas. ? Licenses become permission to use items outside living areas, and guards request women to strip before entering said areas!

I was playing while equipped with 3 violating items / armor. I had 5073 gold. For some reason, the guard tool all 5073 of my gold. Then, when I paid for the armor license, I had to go to the prison's evidence chest and steal my items back (they are no longer marked as mine).

So my observations:

- Bug with applying fine? (I had my fine at default 150 value)

- When purchasing a license, maybe open a one-time evidence chest screen for players to retrieve their items. Or find some other way for players to immediately retrieve their confiscated items

- Items confiscated shouldn't be marked as no longer yours, unless that was by design?

- Castle Dour Dungeon wasn't being covered by the license rules. Since you're using Guards for detection, not by checking cell names, would it be appropriate to designate Imperial Soldiers and Stormcloak Soldiers as license enforcers as well? But that could interfere with certain Civil War events. I personally think, for a simultaneously wide and appropriate reach, it'd be best to combine checks for event, cells, and enforcer actor. Restrict enforcement during certain story events, limit license enforcement to town, city, and their interior cells, and allow enforcement with Imperial Soldiers, Stormclock Soldiers, and city guards with line-of-sight.

- Another scenario to check for violating equipment is when talking with guards. Is there an onTalk event? This is to cover situations when you're outside your existing checks but initiating dialogue with an enforcer while obviously violating license rules.

Edited by Gyra
2 hours ago, Gyra said:

I was playing while equipped with 3 violating items / armor. I had 5073 gold. For some reason, the guard tool all 5073 of my gold. Then, when I paid for the armor license, I had to go to the prison's evidence chest and steal my items back (they are no longer marked as mine).

So my observations:

- Bug with applying fine? (I had my fine at default 150 value)

- When purchasing a license, maybe open a one-time evidence chest screen for players to retrieve their items. Or find some other way for players to immediately retrieve their confiscated items

- Items confiscated shouldn't be marked as no longer yours, unless that was by design?

- Castle Dour Dungeon wasn't being covered by the license rules. Since you're using Guards for detection, not by checking cell names, would it be appropriate to designate Imperial Soldiers and Stormcloak Soldiers as license enforcers as well? But that could interfere with certain Civil War events. I personally think, for a simultaneously wide and appropriate reach, it'd be best to combine checks for event, cells, and enforcer actor. Restrict enforcement during certain story events, limit license enforcement to town, city, and their interior cells, and allow enforcement with Imperial Soldiers, Stormclock Soldiers, and city guards with line-of-sight.

- Another scenario to check for violating equipment is when talking with guards. Is there an onTalk event? This is to cover situations when you're outside your existing checks but initiating dialogue with an enforcer while obviously violating license rules.

I can't replicate it taking more gold than specified. Is this behaviour repeatable for you?

I simply move the items to the evidence chest. The rest is default skyrim behaviour. But I actually like this result. If your items are confiscated they are no longer yours. Just because you now buy a license it doesn't undo your previous crimes. So I think I will keep it like that for now.

What was the name of the castle door dungeon npcs?

Imperial soldiers?
For now I will keep the guard check. Limiting it to cities is wonky. I could limit it to worldspaces, but then it wouldn't work in falkreath for example.

OnTalk might be something to look into, but I think setting an interval for checks should lessen that occurence quite a bit.

Edited by BananasManiac
1 hour ago, BananasManiac said:

I simply move the items to the evidence chest. The rest is default skyrim behaviour. Opening the chest on license purchase should solve that.

Oh, well I had to pick the lock of the evidence chest to open it. Explains why my items were marked as stolen. But as it is, my items are no longer ‘mine’ after being confiscated, even after I’ve purchased the license.

1 hour ago, BananasManiac said:

What was the name of the castle door dungeon npcs?

No name. Just “Imperial Soldier”.

Edit: Strange, I got approached by an Imperial Soldier, which means you did account for them. That means somehow an Imperial Soldier in the Castle Dour Dungeon was just not covered for some reason.

Edited by Gyra
52 minutes ago, Gyra said:

Oh, well I had to pick the lock of the evidence chest to open it. Explains why my items were marked as stolen. But as it is, my items are no longer ‘mine’ after being confiscated, even after I’ve purchased the license.

I actually like this result. If your items are confiscated they are no longer yours. Just because you now buy a license, it doesn't undo your previous crimes. So I think I will keep it like that for now.

1 hour ago, A.Okita aka Caralis said:

Looking forward to checking this mod out but there's one detail that caught my attention.

To my knowledge Winterhold does not have any evidence chests. Any idea how this mod would handle that scenario?

Its checking if there is an evidence chest in the current hold location of the guard that spotted you.
If it can't find a chest it won't confiscate, even if you enabled the option

Looks like fun - I'll keep thjis in mind for my next female dragonborn. An alternative to SLS' licence  system is very welcome.

For identifying Stewards - you might look at how bounty quests are launched. They're triggered from the Story Manager when you enter a new Hold Location, and the quest aliases are filled with (among other things) the Jarl and Steward based on LocRefType. You can probably copy a kill-the-bandit-leader quest for the alias conditions.

That should get you an alias for the Steward that you can use to set conditions on dialogue.

Have you thought about licence duration? It might be fun to be able to approach innkeepers or general merchants to purchase short duration licenses if you can't afford the cost of a full one. They'd rip you off something rotten of course. Maybe buy them from Thieves Guild fences,with the understanding that they may be revealed as forgeries if the guard ever inspect them.