Update.esm and English Strings - how can I fix this? FIXED!

Game 1.6.640 AE.    MO2 user.  SSEedit v4.04

Through some mod problems I discovered Update.esm shows loads of errors that appear to be English String errors, when loaded in SSEEdit.

Here's a Reddit user with the problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/bx57u3/help_my_updateesm_has_tons_of_string_errors_and/

Now, I understand this can be caused by SSEEdit, so I verified that is it using the correct English and added the Step recommended argument -l:English to the start-up for it. 

My Skyrim.ini is also set correctly.  The errors persist, and affect things in game.

I previously downloaded this English Strings for Skyrim but that is dated 2017. 

Now, I'm not an experienced user of SSEedit. I might have missed something I need to do.

Might someone please be able to advise me on how I can make sure Update.esm is operating correctly for my game>

Delete these files, or like the reddit post said, the entire strings folder:

strings\update_english.dlstrings
strings\update_english.ilstrings
strings\update_english.strings

Checksum (md5) of the 1.5.97 Update.esm which may or may not have been changed in 1.6.*:

a6e4d668c8e297960d3cbb78104ca8e3  Update.esm

17,657,016 bytes

Edit: Might be useful to know what these errors are. Decoding error? Not found? Right to left, left to right?

Edited by traison

Hi

Aha...ha  ahem.   I got to the bottom of this while you answered. And thank you for your quick help.

Of course, it does not help my cause if I have an outdated mod of English Strings stuck in my MO2 install.   ?

I got rid of that and, for good measure, manually copied the AE Interface.bsa's strings into the Data/strings folder (though that won't really do anything it gives me comfort...lol).

And 90% of my issue has gone away.  The very few remaining errors are easy to deal with.

They were English String errors, originally.

I think I can safely say CASE CLOSED on this one. But I'll leave this up so others who might shoot themselves in the foot can see what happened.

• Bluegunk changed the title to Update.esm and English Strings - how can I fix this? FIXED!
  • 11 months later...

Still had the same error, not sure why. Somehow xEdit did not want to read the String Files inside the Skyrim - Interface.bsa. Once I extracted it, it worked. Must be a xEdit Error since the English Names worked fine ingame.