[mod help] "Last stand" - Less damage if you're below certain health%

I need a mod that reduces all damage by x% when player's health is below y%. Mostly because Sexlab Defeat basically reduces my effective health by the defeat threshold, in my case 20%.

So I figured this wouldn't be too much of a problem to make, fired up the CK, but my attempt at it was not very succesful...

I duplicated the breton spell resistance ability (RaceBretonDUPLICATE001), added it to the Player actor's SpellList, and changed the effect in the duplicate to Resist Damage : DamageResist, magnitude 75%, and added a new trigger: GetHealthPercentage < 25.0, run on Player. Also changed the description to make my effect easier to find...

I start a new game as a breton, I see the effect in my spell list right next to the breton one, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Do I need to keep checking the player's health with a script or something..?

Anyone got any advice for a novice modder? I'm not afraid to do some scripting, I work as a js/c# developer, but the CK tool baffles me.

(I hope this is the right place to post this :) )