Hi, I wonder if someone can help.

My game has been freezing in a number of places early in the game, seemingly relating to Bleak Falls Barrow. At first crashing looking in the direction of Bleak Falls Barrow from just outside Helgen, which I seemed to manage to fix, then it was crashng on the way to the guardian stones, which I managed to get it stable enought to get past, and now the same kind of crash on the way to BFB.

I'm usually good at diagnosing and fixing crash issues, I stopped playing Skyrim when the AE update came out last year, I figured I would wait until the dust settled on the update, skip ahead to about six weeks ago and I was reading that people were saying there was no reason not to update as everything had either been updated or replaced, which ended up not really being true. These freezes have been occuring in the same places on 1.6.X and 1.5.97.

The annoying thing is that my game was fast and stable before i started these updates in my mod list, I have a pretty decent system, and before with pretty much the same mod list, I was stable and hitting 60fps practically everywhere, now even in the areas it's not freezing, I'm seeing my fps in the low 30s. I'm just hoping someone can take a look at my modlist, load order, and settings, and see if I'm just missing somethe obvious, as I usually don't find it this hard to fix issues.

My Modwatch

Thank you for any help on this as it's driving me crazy, I can't even roll back to where I was as I comitted to updating for AE, and didn't have the space to keep two sets of mod setups.

Freezing and crashing are 2 entirely different things. Skyrim may also appear to freeze when it has crashed (usually when an error dialog pops up under the game and waits for input). If its actually crashing, then get this. Otherwise, unless you're able to deduce the reason for the freezes in some simpler way, you'll have to attach a debugger and figure it out that way. Involves learning assembly.

Yeah, I did notice no crash logs were being created, so figured as much. I've spent most of the week trying to pinpoint the mod or combination of mods that's making it freeze with no luck so far, I'm just hoping someone might spot something common I've overlooked, or a common problem mod.

Thank you for taking a look anyway.

I guess you've done the obvious and disabled cbpc and smp (and then made sure no other mod comes bundled with those dll files). Disable all engine fixes and fancy animation skse plugins, first person cameras, stuff like that?

Edit: I mean you have tons of things that I'd disable in a situation like this, just based on the name: (this is just from the first 10% of your modlist)

NetScriptFramework SkyrimSE v18
Bug Fixes SSE (Special Edition)
SSE Engine Fixes for 1.5.39 - 1.5.97
powerofthree's everything
Improved Alternate Conversation Camera SE 1.2.0
ENB Helper SE 1.5 for SSE 1.5.97
Skyrim Priority SE 3.20
SrtCrashFix_SSE v0.3 Beta
MuJointFix 1.3.2
HeelsFix 1.3.1
Stagger Direction Fix-SSE 2.02a
SSE Display Tweaks 0.5.10
ENB Lights for Effect Shaders SE 2.0
Modern Toggle Walk-Run Fix
Enhanced Volumetric Lighting and Shadows 1.3.1
ImprovedCameraSE-1.0.0
SmoothCam everything

I'm not saying these are all bad, but the things they seem to do seem "risky", as in, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them was the problem, or a combination of 2 or more.

Edited by traison
19 hours ago, solidcrow said:

Hi, I wonder if someone can help.

My game has been freezing in a number of places early in the game, seemingly relating to Bleak Falls Barrow. At first crashing looking in the direction of Bleak Falls Barrow from just outside Helgen, which I seemed to manage to fix, then it was crashng on the way to the guardian stones, which I managed to get it stable enought to get past, and now the same kind of crash on the way to BFB.

I'm usually good at diagnosing and fixing crash issues, I stopped playing Skyrim when the AE update came out last year, I figured I would wait until the dust settled on the update, skip ahead to about six weeks ago and I was reading that people were saying there was no reason not to update as everything had either been updated or replaced, which ended up not really being true. These freezes have been occuring in the same places on 1.6.X and 1.5.97.

The annoying thing is that my game was fast and stable before i started these updates in my mod list, I have a pretty decent system, and before with pretty much the same mod list, I was stable and hitting 60fps practically everywhere, now even in the areas it's not freezing, I'm seeing my fps in the low 30s. I'm just hoping someone can take a look at my modlist, load order, and settings, and see if I'm just missing somethe obvious, as I usually don't find it this hard to fix issues.

My Modwatch

Thank you for any help on this as it's driving me crazy, I can't even roll back to where I was as I comitted to updating for AE, and didn't have the space to keep two sets of mod setups.

Start by deactivating DynDOLOD. Often the cause of CTD's.

You can downgrade back to game version 1.5.97.0, no matter which AE version you have now.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/57618

So I was going through my mod list, enabling one mod at a time then making a new save, doing the run from helgen to bleak falls barrow, and got through a good chunk of the list before I decided to try my full list with OBIS, Genesis, and Baka's Populated Skyrim disabled, as it would make sense if they were competing for spawns it could cause an issue, and oddly the freezing went away.

I say oddly as although the mods were installed and activated, they weren't enabled in their MCM menus, I'm guessing there is some kind of compatability issue with something else I updated. I'm assuming it's something to do with Baka's Populated Skyrim as I've run OBIS and Genesis together since LE and BPS was a newer addition last year.

I think I will need to keep going through the mod list one by one until I find the cause of the framerate issue though. I have tried without DynDolod, and tried 1.6.X, Best of Both Worlds downgrade and fully going back to 1.5.97, but sadly that made no difference to the freezing or the low framerate.

Thank you for all of the help. Hopefully I can nail down the fps issue as it was running so well on my system just last month. :D