Muse Dash Nude Mod

Muse Dash has plenty of great characters in my opinion, and a nude mod was created for four of the characters for earlier versions of the game. After digging into the files, I was able to track down where all of the textures are stored (different than in earlier versions).

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Muse Dash\MuseDash_Data\StreamingAssets\aa\StandaloneWindows64

Using Unity Asset Bundle Extractor, I was able to extract some examples of how the textures are stored, and I believe (though I'm inexperienced in modding) that the 2D textures are loaded into the animations from, for example, this file:image.thumb.png.138fbd09c3f26046efc6caec4b1a3388.png

With that in mind, I'm no artist, nor do I know how to import the modified textures back into the .bundle files (though I would be willing to learn if someone else wanted to pick up the texturing task).

Am I missing something, or would this be a simple mod to create in the end? Once the textures are modified, it should just be packing the .bundle files together with the modified textures and replacing them, yes?

If anyone feels like picking up this project, I wouldn't complain and I'm sure it will get done much faster, but any advice for doing this myself is also welcome.

Cheers!

EDIT: I've extracted what I believe to be all of the relevant textures to create nude mod for this game. Dissecting them seems straight-forward in most cases, but some of the textures are very busy and may be difficult to identify.

EDIT: I've uploaded an updated texture dump with (I think) all of the textures relevant to a potential nude mod, as well as created a proof of concept (thanks to The Butler) on modding the newest version of Muse Dash (currently v3.9.0). You can download the unedited textures here:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/rjaevbwc2u2x44f/Muse_Dash_Textures_v3.9.0.zip

Additionally, I am including BepInEx + TextureReplacer plugin here for convenience:

BepInEx IL2CPP:

https://builds.bepinex.dev/projects/bepinex_be/682/BepInEx-Unity.IL2CPP-win-x64-6.0.0-be.682%2B910844a.zip

(UPDATE!!) TextureReplacer Plugin by kumarin (Download only the IL2CPP net6 version of this plugin!):

https://f95zone.to/threads/bepinex-plugin-texture-replacer-v1-0-3-0.118422/

Thisone.png.c37d45fefa6ad20fa225baf85cff72f9.png

Textures (This is the nude mod):

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ia7qf21gi0p2vqg/Nude_Mod_v0.4.3.zip

Change Log:

Spoiler

Ver. 0.4.3 - Added "Joker" Victory and "Bunny" Victory (@ZeroCtrl, Special Thanks to moderchan for original art)

Ver. 0.4.2 - Added "Maid" Main (@smallears)

Ver. 0.4.1 - Added "Reimu" Main and Victory (@smallears)

Ver. 0.4 - Added "The Girl In Black" and Alternative Outfit to "Santa Girl" (both from @AKNZAlpha)

Ver. 0.3.1.1 - Correctly included the Sister textures (@aereist)

Ver. 0.3.1 - Fixed floating reflection dots on Magical Girl (@ZeroCtrl)

Ver. 0.3 - Added "Sister" Main, Victory, and Fail

Ver. 0.2 - First Working Release

---For clarification, this is not a completed mod.---

What we have so far (Not everything is final. Feel free to submit your own):

-Christmas Gift (nipple art thanks to @phucdinh143, bite added by @Crombinator)

Spoiler

Default:

Spoiler

success!2.png.ead8aa4554bd688ad68134293af6c50c.png

Alternate Option: Transparency

Spoiler

Cache_4ddaec2535c44030..jpg.147372606b614c82effdae7560ba28eb.thumb.jpg.be764ee1c6d18612155356289ed59fc5.jpg

-Bunny Girl (art by @beard20)

Spoiler

Completely Nude

Spoiler

1445025757_BunnyGirlNude.thumb.png.f1c9a1c8a46245c8b4738ffcf36a4675.png

Alternate Option: Nude with Accessories

Spoiler

1900654915_BunnyGirlNudewithAccessories.thumb.png.ffb78a0d36758165aa09b9af1f99244c.png

Victory (@ZeroCtrl, Original Art by moderchan)

Spoiler

bunny_victory.png.17f79ca3fac9c9814566d5d7989d7f00.png

-Magical Girl (art by @tamakiann, edited by @Crombinator and @ZeroCtrl)

Spoiler

1802900808_MagicalGirl(MuseDash).thumb.png.f9840f170347f82fbfb2b21047dcf8e7.png

-Joker

Spoiler

Main Screen (art by @beard20)

Spoiler

178309245_jokerscreen.jpg.222d7dc529459d59b78ec2b3a94df045.jpg

Victory (@ZeroCtrl Original Art by moderchan)

Spoiler

joker_victory.thumb.png.0051a438bc93f63ffde317612705a55c.png

-Lilith (art by @beard20)

Spoiler

584392531_elfinworking.jpg.ce83dea96c6d37c42d5923d5bb084e03.jpg

-Sister (art by @phucdinh143)

Spoiler

Main Screen

Spoiler

1765906841_SisterNude.png.83d12bd5c981c912f4dc5586ffbf8f40.png

Victory

Spoiler

950147743_sistervictory.thumb.png.bde032920271dab6ab4f862463a72db5.png

Fail

Spoiler

504900881_sisterfail.thumb.png.1bffb21cb23da44679f0cfb3444001c5.png

-The Girl in Black (art by @AKNZAlpha)

Spoiler

image.png.2c041c19ffd30d641457244bfdc7e921.thumb.png.1cd79d0e4aa291610fc1a437a212736b.png

-Reimu (@smallears)

Spoiler

Reimu.png.def097614258b52ac933d39dd95f8258.png

-Maid (@smallears)

Spoiler

maidnude.png.9e3b5c1a2a84edb50b847e6b0a25ce66.png

Are you having issues with white artifacts on your custom textures? Follow this short guide! Your issue is likely related to the way the game interprets transparency. This may or may not fix your issue. This game also premultiplies transparent pixels on certain textures. If you follow this guide and you still receive white artifacts, you may need to completely remove any semi-transparent pixels in the affected area. Unfortunately, this is the only way for now.

Spoiler

Step 1: Open the png in GIMP.

Step 2: Right click anywhere in the image, Select -> By Color

Spoiler

Step1.png.299142220d73fec0fb91fff8966eecd0.png

Step 3: Under Tool Options in the left pane, ensure you have disabled "select transparent areas" and set the threshold to 0.0. Your Tool Options should look like the image below:

Spoiler

Step1.5.png.25ef986742d2cf8381037ab13c98dffa.png

Step 4: Click anywhere on the image that should be completely transparent

Spoiler

Step2.png.aba09d8e5d8c36d0fde5d6ec95edc903.png

Step 5: Assuming a selection was made and it did not select any of your artwork, press the "delete" key

Step 6: Export your image (don't overwrite, just in case something got messed up) and try the new texture in-game.

Edited by Crombinator
Updated to Ver. 0.4.3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2022 at 8:45 AM, Crombinator said:

Muse Dash has plenty of great characters in my opinion, and a nude mod was created for four of the characters for earlier versions of the game. After digging into the files, I was able to track down where all of the textures are stored (different than in earlier versions).

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Muse Dash\MuseDash_Data\StreamingAssets\aa\StandaloneWindows64

Using Unity Asset Bundle Extractor, I was able to extract some examples of how the textures are stored, and I believe (though I'm inexperienced in modding) that the 2D textures are loaded into the animations from, for example, this file:image.thumb.png.138fbd09c3f26046efc6caec4b1a3388.png

With that in mind, I'm no artist, nor do I know how to import the modified textures back into the .bundle files (though I would be willing to learn if someone else wanted to pick up the texturing task).

Am I missing something, or would this be a simple mod to create in the end? Once the textures are modified, it should just be packing the .bundle files together with the modified textures and replacing them, yes?

If anyone feels like picking up this project, I wouldn't complain and I'm sure it will get done much faster, but any advice for doing this myself is also welcome.

Cheers!

EDIT: I've extracted what I believe to be all of the relevant textures to create nude mod for this game. Dissecting them seems straight-forward in most cases, but some of the textures are very busy and may be difficult to identify.

Muse Dash Relevant Textures:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/vrtsk92mc4e3dd1/Muse_Dash_Relevant_Textures.zip/

thank you for the work of extracting these, but there are still many missing tho cuz i think the ones in the relevant file are for viewing in the characters menu and the main menu only, all the models after you win a round are not there. take's modderchan old mod on this game, the remu character have her chest exposed in the character menu and even after the yoou beaten a round, where she poses differently.
btw im thinking of actually do some modifications on the files you sent ^^ maybe soon.

creating nude mods for muse dash is pretty simple and its been done by moderchan and also once by me. though the game occasionally shuffles its sprites around which breaks all the mods and then you have to make them again. moderchan updated his but i never updated mine. https://github.com/SeriousCache/UABE UABE should be able to handle both the extraction and the import of textures back into the game. though ill leave it to you to figure out how to use it as i dont really remember

16 hours ago, hilbo75 said:

creating nude mods for muse dash is pretty simple and its been done by moderchan and also once by me. though the game occasionally shuffles its sprites around which breaks all the mods and then you have to make them again. moderchan updated his but i never updated mine. https://github.com/SeriousCache/UABE UABE should be able to handle both the extraction and the import of textures back into the game. though ill leave it to you to figure out how to use it as i dont really remember

omg! but is this for the old version or the newer one? as far as i know the newer version needs Visual C++ to mod, which i have no clue about.
ive made a modification for santa character, but couldnt import it back into "battle" file, which sucks.
here's mine:

1_santa_victory-RGBA32.bmp 1_santa_main_show-RGBA32.bmp

ive done it! finally it worked!!!!!!!!!!! use the UABE as mentioned above to open any of the character asset bundle file => click assets => find .png file => plugins => edit => load => choose modded png => ok => file => apply all and save => choose a self-created mod folder and put it there => copy to main folder and replace the file (remember to backup) => enjoy!
this is my result (old version only)

2022-10-18.png

Oh my! I had left this post unattended for quite awhile because I hadn't gotten any replies, so I'm glad I checked in on it. I will definitely get back to work on finding the rest of those textures as soon as I have a chance. Reminding everyone that I'm not a seasoned modder, but I would like to gain some experience in this field so I am taking this seriously. Work is busy right now, but I will try to make some time this week or next to dig around some more. Thank you to everyone who has put in effort for this so far!

Okay, so I've been trying to reproduce this mod, but for the newer version and I'm not certain how it's different. I have tried the same method as the old version, but the character is invisible when I launch the game. I'm curious if the compression has anything to do with this? The original file was roughly 1MB and the modded bundle was 10MB (decompressing was part of using UABE).

Does anyone know specifically what I need C++ for to mod this? I am fairly familiar with C++ (my experience is limiting to creating windows forms and console applications), but I am not nearly as familiar with Unity. If I can get an idea of the direction I need to go, I would be more than happy to put more time into this. For now, I'm at a dead end.

EDIT: Actually, I suppose I should start by asking what I would be missing out on if I were to focus on modding the older version of this game. Was there any content added in the update that broke mods?

Edited by Crombinator

There are 2 different ways you can mod this game...

Method 1
Replacing files using uabe

Pros:

• No need for 3rd party programs

Cons:

• Demands more time
  • Mods needs to be updated every update

Method 2
BepInEx Texture Replacer
Pros:

• Compatible with future updates
  • Time saving

Cons:

• Need 3rd party (BepInEx + TextureReplacer plugin)

Quick mod ie: using texture replacer...
image.png.16d68977fb49158bac6da9f793247d75.png

Edited by The Butler

This is exactly what I was looking for! However, I've been ripping my hair out all morning trying to get BepInEx to hook when I launch the game, but no luck. None of the folders are created (config, plugins) after launching the game the first time. I'm certain I'm using the correct binary (64-bit), but I've also tried the 32-bit just in case I was missing something glaringly obvious. I've also tried several different builds and no luck. I'm using the Steam version of the game. I appreciate your help!

50 minutes ago, Crombinator said:

This is exactly what I was looking for! However, I've been ripping my hair out all morning trying to get BepInEx to hook when I launch the game, but no luck. None of the folders are created (config, plugins) after launching the game the first time. I'm certain I'm using the correct binary (64-bit), but I've also tried the 32-bit just in case I was missing something glaringly obvious. I've also tried several different builds and no luck. I'm using the Steam version of the game. I appreciate your help!

Game uses IL2CPP library, so you need that version of BepInEx. ---DOWNLOAD---

Texture replacer created by kumarin. ---F95Thread---
Extract the IL2CPP version of the plugin on plugins folder in BepInEx....
Toggle - ALT+F11 to dump texture from current scene.
MoDImagesDump - Dumped texture of that scene.
ModImages - For textures to be replaced. You can create subfolders to better organize your mods.
ie: image.png.6fa8b75e0a49512672dc9fe4028dd2f8.png

When you're done editing, rename the file to something like....
Original - 1_bunny_main_show_0e0d372989f8008569a9ef4e5a2e2093
Edited - 1_bunny_main_show_ or 1_bunny_main_show_edited

That string after show_xxxx is the MD5 of that file.

You will only need to leave it untouched if there are 2 texture in the game with the same name.
However if that's the case you will need to keep updating these texture on every update as their MD5 will change.

Also a hint regarding how to use BepInEx....
When checking Unity games.
Look at the game folders....
Mono games will have a Mono folder together with XXX_Data.
If there is no Mono folder, that game is likely using IL2CPP , which you can confirm by going to xxx_data.
After you confirm the library the game is using, use the corresponding version of BepInEx...
Next would be the executable version, x86 or x64, just go with x64 by default if it doesn't work game is likely x86.

Edited by The Butler

Success! I had to take phucdinh143's modded texture and copy the nipples to the newest version's texture map (I used GIMP), export as PNG, and used BepInEx + TextureReplacer, and this was my result:

success!.png.3f6cc2b299fc8be2377b6fde110c8d7f.png

This was done on the newest version, so a full nude mod on the newest version is certainly possible!

Afterward, I wanted to see how transparency could be used to modify outfits, and it was as simple as cutting a piece out of the outfit and making it transparent. Here is that result:

success!2.png.ead8aa4554bd688ad68134293af6c50c.png

Then I was curious how opacity would be interpreted in the game, and my result was:

success!3.thumb.png.eab52abed3a7703c7f6225f27f819f4a.png

Success! (Kinda)

So can I layer something underneath the translucent present? As suspected, no:

failure.thumb.png.4c0fcef58c3aef67f0c77eb388333c58.png

As expected, the animation was too extreme to have the texture stick where I want it. 3/4 ain't bad! And other than my nipple placement, I think the second texture is better than the low opacity one.

It just occurred to me that I missed the title screens. I will find some time down the road to dump those and upload them as well, but I would like to wait and see if anyone is willing to do the art aspect of this mod, first. If anyone would like to do any textures, even one, I will compile them into one package with everyone else's, but I can't draw worth anything, so I will sadly be no help :( I will include your username in the readme to give credit to your art!

• 4 weeks later...

spent hours editing images just to find out they don't work
i have absolutely zero knowledge in modding and i was following completely accordingly to the steps provided above
can't seem to find the problem tho
would love to help with textures if i could even resolve my own problem

3 hours ago, yonbann said:

spent hours editing images just to find out they don't work
i have absolutely zero knowledge in modding and i was following completely accordingly to the steps provided above
can't seem to find the problem tho
would love to help with textures if i could even resolve my own problem

It would help to know what exactly isn't working....
Game crashing, texture not appearing, texture with white borders.

Also the method you're using to import/mod texture....
ie: BepInEx+plugin, UABEA

@Crombinator, in order for it to load opacity properly you need to use true alpha, which is a bit hard to accomplish depending of the method and tool you use.
Usually Paint.net and Gimp 2 are the best at achieving that.

Result of "fake alpha" is somewhat shiny textures, white borders (from a place you removed with a eraser).

Edited by The Butler

@The Butler I'm currently using Gimp 2. I'm not too concerned with opacity at the moment. I am more than happy with the second result I had.

@yonbann Thank you for all your hard work editing the textures. Please elaborate on the issue you're having when trying to load the new textures I can try to help. You can also up load the textures and I can try them in my game if you are willing :) Muse Dash had an update today, but I check a few textures in the game and they were not scrambled.

Edited by Crombinator
15 minutes ago, DeadByYou said:

hello I need help, I've been trying to install the mod for hours but I have a problem, when I do the installation with bepinex the plugins folder doesn't appear and I can't install the texture modifier, I only see the core folder, does anyone know what to do in this case.

You're using wrong bepinex version, go some pages back and you will see it in my message.

Edited by The Butler
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2022 at 12:05 PM, tamakiann said:

Is there a way to remove the transparency on this skirt? I tried removing it, but the game still shows it, albeit faintly.

JPEG_20191104_025656.jpg.png

3_magic_main_show_.png

I was able to solve the problem. You had changed the opacity of the skirt to 0% (or near it, at least). I selected the entire area (I'm using GIMP 2) and deleted the selection, removing the color completely. I recommend using GIMP 2 in the future. Here is the working result of that character:working.thumb.png.19a173e98ba51026634bbd6ac3fa3d22.png

On 12/8/2022 at 7:11 AM, beard20 said:

I had some free time, so I tried to do it right, please don't get your hopes up (Translated from Japanese DeepL)
暇だったので適当にやってみました、期待しないでください(翻訳元 日本語 DeepL)

20221208234650_1.jpg

20221209000036_1.jpg

1_bunny_main_show_0e0d372989f8008569a9ef4e5a2e2093.png

2_joker_main_show_67545ac20c8d10cf1ae40efb7829b255.png

elfin_devil_e0c4d5a854e787842f9db196341ae287.png

Thank you, @beard20, for your hard work! If I may make a request, the right nipple on "bunny girl" seems to be rotated 90° counter-clockwise. If you still have access to that as its own layer, I would appreciate that being rotated and I will happily compile these as the first additions to this mod! Great work!

EDIT: Finally got around to using the texture in game and your art looks great! no need to make any modification on the nipple, in my opinion. I would like to request some cleaner transition between her hips and legs. I can probably throw something together soon, but I'm pretty slow when it comes to making actual artwork. For the time being, I will compile all of this together and updated as new changes are made. Thank you again, @beard20!

Edited by Crombinator