GOG vs Steam

5 minutes ago, Lyman the Lunatic said:

You sounded rather bitter, my friend. It's kinda funny for some reason.

I recalled, some games can run without discs, and I have played another game while installing the other back in the disc days. I can't do that with steam because it'll bitch & moan, saying I MUST wait for an installation to complete, or it will PAUSE the installation. So what did I do? I play my GOG or log in to my other DRM & play my games there instead. I don't see why this kind of limitation is considered "progress" or, a"good thing".

So you are not that knowledgeable about how useless or annoying Steam is, then. I suppose that's understandable. Even then, you claim to not know, then you can't claim I make wrong statements. Be real here, if it's not for the steep sales, Steam is nothing.

Not to derail you too much there, but you can actually set Steam to keep downloads going while you are in a game. There is a check box in Steam settings > downloads called "allow downloads during gameplay"

On 9/4/2022 at 12:40 PM, Varithina said:

That is the problem though, you do not own the game you rent it, take a look at pretty much any license agreement you find in any game, and you will see that, most of them also have the right to tell you to stop using that software if they tell you to, they will not of course, but legally they have the right to.

They really can't if you own the disc & everything. Now, they can just suspend your account. I don't see why this action is appropriate.

1 minute ago, Lyman the Lunatic said:

Offline mode won't stop force updates on the games. Steam has removed that feature years back.

Yeah... there are a lot of games that require a call to Steam servers as well after a certain amount of time. In fact... most games require that. I think it is around 30 days that you can play a game offline before being forced to validate it again by going online.

22 minutes ago, Lyman the Lunatic said:

then you can't claim I make wrong statements

I absolutely can.

23 minutes ago, Lyman the Lunatic said:

I can't do that with steam because it'll bitch & moan, saying I MUST wait for an installation to complete, or it will PAUSE the installation.

idioz.jpg.0a554388adae5575568bc3fc3a1d992f.jpg

Not really talking about the pros and cons of Steam and GOG customer service or downloads and so on.  I am talking about what you actually download when you download it.

With Steam, you get an executable that is DIFFERENT from what you get with GOG.

I downloaded both FO3 and FONV some time ago.  I never finished either one because they CRASHED so often that I just couldn't tolerate it.  After reading a technical article about what happens to the steam download, I downloaded both from GOG (8 bucks or so).   I have played FO3 through once and am on my second play-through without a single crash.

That is the issue for me.  DRM SUCKS.

8 hours ago, fishburger67 said:

Not really talking about the pros and cons of Steam and GOG customer service or downloads and so on.  I am talking about what you actually download when you download it.

With Steam, you get an executable that is DIFFERENT from what you get with GOG.

I downloaded both FO3 and FONV some time ago.  I never finished either one because they CRASHED so often that I just couldn't tolerate it.  After reading a technical article about what happens to the steam download, I downloaded both from GOG (8 bucks or so).   I have played FO3 through once and am on my second play-through without a single crash.

That is the issue for me.  DRM SUCKS.

DRM always suck, and sucked since 2012. No wonder why people fought against DRM back then. And now, people just accept the trash Valve DRM. Unlike Steam, Origin allows you to play the game without updating by setting it to offline mode. While Steam removed that feature, Origin kept it and can even be closed without crashing the game(try force-closing steam while a game is running).

47 minutes ago, yukitokuroya said:

Unlike Steam, Origin allows you to play the game without updating by setting it to offline mode.

Yeah, but that's probably a sensible choice on their side, don't get me wrong, I would prefer an opt-out choice as well, but even I get a lot of bug-reports on my mods from people who are too brain-dead to download the current version, or simply missed an update and report something which has already been fixed.
And now imagine how bad this is must be if you have something on the scale of steam....

51 minutes ago, yukitokuroya said:

Origin kept it and can even be closed without crashing the game(try force-closing steam while a game is running).

What would be the point of that? you still need it to lauch your games ?.

On 9/5/2022 at 1:00 PM, sila said:

Not to derail you too much there, but you can actually set Steam to keep downloads going while you are in a game. There is a check box in Steam settings > downloads called "allow downloads during gameplay"

It's fine, took them long enough. I always have a feeling they'll add some new features eventually, just only a matter of time. But thanks for the heads up.

On 9/5/2022 at 1:16 PM, Pamatronic said:

I absolutely can.

idioz.jpg.0a554388adae5575568bc3fc3a1d992f.jpg

So me not knowing when this 1 feature was implemented is your entire basis of your fanboying on Steam's behalf? You sounded like one of those stereotypical abused spouse who forgive their abusive partner after a small gift or favour, as if everything else is all okay. Even if this feature has been implemented now, steam still does not excuse itself for all of it's shitty features or terrible refund policies.

What a petty thing for you to do.

7 hours ago, Lyman the Lunatic said:

It's fine, took them long enough. I always have a feeling they'll add some new features eventually, just only a matter of time. But thanks for the heads up.

That feature has been available on steam for as long as I have been using it... over 10 years now.

this is what happens when someone, has no idea what they are talking about, you telling facts will not matter because he didn't know so it never existed. all these complaints, he is making is due to the fact that he DOES NOT KNOW so it does not exist in his mind, and everyone else is stupid and wrong, because he DID NOT KNOW about the features, so everyone else is Fanboying because we just happen to not be lazy and figured things out, but don't forget since he DID NOT KNOW, we are stupid fanboys     

Fuck Gabe bloatware and their steaming turd drm. Gimme GoG any day of the week. I never use any downloader on any website for installing mods or games, I prefer using the PC file system. All you're doing is giving up control to some program which is harvesting your data while it's installed and running.

My 5 cents.

First, i have Uplay/Steam/Origin and GOG Galaxy installed. Uplay and Origin is wonky, id rather not use them . Steam okay esp since im usually useing the LITE client, but the biggest problem you cant switch off game updates. 

GOG : you can download offline installers, no drm and you can play your steam/origin/uplay games through Galaxy. Plus you can choose if you want to update or not. If i wanna buy a game first i check it on GOG. So GOG should be the No.1, but ofc theres the downside: there are big developers/games not on GOG (coz of the drm free policy and/or coz  of exclusivity). 

On 9/3/2022 at 10:13 PM, sila said:

I am of the opinion that any bastion of DRM-free games should be supported. I buy games on GoG if they have decent sales, although most of my library is still on Steam.

The idea that Steam could one day close its servers, or increase the drm etc I find rather concerning. If steam ever goes out of business, unlikely as that is, thousands of dollars and hundreds of games that I own are just gone. If gog ever goes out of business, I can just download the games I have there onto a big hard drive and keep them forever anyway.

Yes it is unlikely that Steam will go out of business, but what about games that get removed? Games that have their servers shut down that you can no longer play, even in single player? It has happened before. It will happen again. Sony constantly wants to drop support for ps3 downloads, but every time they have tried the outcry was so harsh that they backtracked. 

GoG and drm free games (and piracy....) are the last bastions of game preservation. I think they should be supported (even piracy, as a last resort if it is the only way to play certain games)

I have some games that you can't buy from Steam that I can still play. It is the game company that removed any access to their servers etc. Basically what you would have gotten regardless of the provider. Even if GOG had a game which required a server to access (online) then you'd loose that game access. Yes, even if you had it on a huge hard drive. It is the services that are being removed. Not the game. (Crysis and Mass Effect and some other EA games in the past. Crysis works last time I tried but the mutiplayer doesn't. Server shut down. )

However, Steam is getting more and more into removing games ( I assume completely when they do so now) as they become more political.  I don't have many games on GOG as I have those games already on other platforms before they GOG was available or I knew they had it.  If I find a game I want to play, I have no problems looking into GOG, however, with recent actions in regards to CYBERPUNK  and massive changes in management (news) I am a bit reluctant to trust they will be reliable in the future (for re-downloads as hard drives and data does get degraded over time. at least on most systems)