KURO NO KISEKI mod

Hello, amorrow28!

Thank you for your tutorials, I was learning the stuff you had in those tutorial posts because I was hoping to make some changes to an existing mod. After spending a week into trial and error, it didn't turn out so well. I was hoping that you could help me out by giving me some directions and tips. It'd be much appreciated ?

Here is a bit of context:

I had no prior knowledge in 3D modeling, so I started with purchasing this book: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/103212167X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I spent about a month reading through the relevant chapters, and then I went through your tutorials, starting from the youtube video by Ikaros. I went through them multiple times to make sure that I understood the material as best as I could. 

This is I was hoping to achieve: 

Spoiler

This mod is made by lakovic, and he used the meshes from jmedia7's mods

and I found it to be easily the best mods on the forum, even without counting in the extra costumes he added. While I really like the changes he made (high polycount on the breasts, fixing the mesh problems from jmedia7's original work, etc), I'm really not a fan of the change he made on the lower part body. It looks weird and like a "W" 

W2.jpg.9c6ad95166dd08a1514f7bbc56059e56.jpg

W.png.0ef4b27257b900c02ecc0aa1a653078f.png

I was hoping to bring back jmedia7's original shape for the lower part body and replace the part of lakovic's mesh while keeping the rest of lakovic's work untouched.  Then I'll export the revised mesh and continue to use lakovic's mod.

Here is the effort I put in:

Spoiler

Step 1: I loaded both meshes into Blender and selected the faces on the lower body part on lakovic's mesh, and then made a copy of that small mesh and moved it over to jmedia7's mesh.

592693124_Step1.png.8ad905bcd828b99d21f987368247b52f.png

Step 2: I selected all the faces on jmedia7's mesh, which together they approximate that small piece of mesh from lakovic's mesh.

1956153650_Step2.png.c983e20ad87b111f61b6a4b3d8248f3f.png

Step 3: Then I cut the selected faces (more like making a copy) on jmedia7's mesh, and move them back to lakovic's mesh. Before I did that, I deleted the faces that was selected on lakovic's mesh. 

2004934206_Step3.png.516ac56d15ca836f016d9dad9cfcfe1f.png

245692968_Step3b.png.d9fa6d6af6962dcc1e669720075ea873.png

Step 4: Close the gaps by connecting all the vertices using "Snap to Vertex" => transfer the weight => join the two meshes => do a "Merge by distance" to eliminate any seams. 

I have to say this part is the most tricky part. As a beginner, I did the best I could but apparently not good enough. I sometimes had to resort to subdividing a face to artificially create more vertices so I could do the snap. I tried to always move the vertices of the transplanted mesh (from jmedia7), and leave the original mesh alone.

1285243588_Step4a.png.77d649277a8c0be811c12edc5e339c29.png

1518687330_Step4b.png.2d57e1ad264d29c8d18fbe7a861cc3b4.png

I then did an export, copied the original .ini file over, split the vb files with your python script, and loaded it back into the game.

Final result (not very good at all, unfortunately)

Spoiler

24502481_finalwork_a.png.b4e0bb5864f0afa260fe4a22db7df3cd.png

As you can see, it doesn't look like jmedia7's original mesh. On top of that, if you imagine the mesh is a metal container, then the lower body part looks like it was hammered or smashed, resulting all that "dent" looking. Last but not least, I don't know where that little "dot" came from (just above). I checked the mesh many times and couldn't figure out why.

By comparison, this is lakovic's mod. It looks very "smooth" and has none of the issues I have. 

617538568_finalwork_b.png.7bcdcde6b0cb9be0f4e98b574825e854.png

At this point I feel like I'm out of options. I did it in the best way I know yet the result is less than satisfactory. I also tried to directly modify lakovic's mesh by hand (pulling / moving around the vertices) but it was a mess.

Besides, when you do a mod like this, how do you populate the change to the rest of the female characters in game? There is no way (for example) lakovic manually did the modification for each character.

Could you please help out a rookie modder? I'm happy to spend time and effort on the task but I think I need some directions and advice here. ?

Edit: this is that final look of the mesh, and it shows even more feel of that "battered metal".

Spoiler

1497237248_Step5.thumb.png.9bf2649b652a87f0ffc8bccdfa094293.png

Edited by Divergence009
29 minutes ago, Divergence009 said:

Hello, amorrow28!

Thank you for your tutorials, I was learning the stuff you had in those tutorial posts because I was hoping to make some changes to an existing mod. After spending a week into trial and error, it didn't turn out so well. I was hoping that you could help me out by giving me some directions and tips. It'd be much appreciated ?

I had no prior knowledge in 3D modeling, so I started with purchasing this book: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/103212167X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I spent about a month reading through the relevant chapters, and then I went through your tutorials, starting from the youtube video by Ikaros. I went through them multiple times to make sure that I understood the material as best as I could. 

Hide contents

and I found it to be easily one of the best mods on the forum, even without counting in the extra costumes he added. While I really like the changes he made (high polycount on the breasts, fixing the mesh problems from jmedia7's original work, etc), I'm really not a fan of the change he made on the lower part body. It looks weird and like a "W" 

I was hoping to bring back jmedia7's original shape for the lower part body and replace the part of lakovic's mesh while keeping the rest of lakovic's work untouched.  Then I'll export the revised mesh and continue to use lakovic's mod.

Hide contents

Step 1: I loaded both meshes into Blender and selected the faces on the lower body part on lakovic's mesh, and then made a copy of that small mesh and moved it over to jmedia7's mesh.

Step 2: I selected all the faces on jmedia7's mesh, which together they approximate that small piece of mesh from lakovic's mesh.

Step 3: Then I cut the selected faces (more like making a copy) on jmedia7's mesh, and move them back to lakovic's mesh. Before I did that, I deleted the faces that was selected on lakovic's mesh. 

Step 4: Close the gaps by connecting all the vertices using "Snap to Vertex" => transfer the weight => join the two meshes => do a "Merge by distance" to eliminate any seams. 

I have to say this part is the most tricky part. As a beginner, I did the best I could but apparently not good enough. I sometimes had to resort to subdividing a face to artificially create more vertices so I could do the snap. I tried to always move the vertices of the transplanted mesh (from jmedia7), and leave the original mesh alone.

I then did an export, copied the original .ini file over, split the vb files with your python script, and loaded it back into the game.

Hide contents

As you can see, it doesn't look like jmedia7's original mesh. On top of that, if you imagine the mesh is a metal container, then the lower body part looks like it was hammered or smashed, resulting all that "dent" looking. Last but not least, I don't know where that little "dot" came from (just above). I checked the mesh many times and couldn't figure out why.

By comparison, this is lakovic's mod. It looks very "smooth" and has none of the issues I have. 

At this point I feel like I'm out of options. I did it in the best way I know yet the result is less than satisfactory. I also tried to directly modify lakovic's mesh by hand (pulling / moving around the vertices) but it was a mess.

Besides, when you do a mod like this, how do you populate the change to the rest of the female characters in game? There is no way (for example) lakovic manually did the modification for each character.

Could you please help out a rookie modder? I'm happy to spend time and effort on the task but I think I need some directions and advice here. ?

This is way beyond my skill level, you’ll want to ask @lakovic, @coomi, @fakecheng, @woofhat or @jmedia7 I think (listed in no particular order). I’m just the person who makes the python scripts.

It does look like your normal vectors are off though, you may want to try resetting them. Also, did you map the UVs? If not, it may be applying the wrong part of the texture. Finally, if your weight groups are wrong, it will not bind properly to the skeleton and will deform as soon as the model moves away from bind pose. The first two you can check in blender, the last one you need to check in the game.

46 minutes ago, amorrow28 said:

This is way beyond my skill level, you’ll want to ask @lakovic, @coomi, @fakecheng, @woofhat or @jmedia7 I think (listed in no particular order). I’m just the person who makes the python scripts.

It does look like your normal vectors are off though, you may want to try resetting them. Also, did you map the UVs? If not, it may be applying the wrong part of the texture. Finally, if your weight groups are wrong, it will not bind properly to the skeleton and will deform as soon as the model moves away from bind pose. The first two you can check in blender, the last one you need to check in the game.

Hmm..I don't know what "normal vectors" are but let me go google them.

The weight groups should be no problem: the lower body part only has 3 weight groups and I thoroughly checked that on both lakovic and jmedia7's meshes, and these groups are actually very consistent and there wasn't even any need for me to rename them.

No I didn't bother doing any UV mapping, because I thought such a small change would not deviate so much to the point that the texture is wrong. I mean I'm merely modifying the shape of the mesh, not changing to another position. More importantly, when I imported the texture .png file, it's not aligned right, so there was no way for me to check the mappings:

3.png.4d63bae205cea0fc8ebcb4e516fc1c6b.png

As you can see, it would look right if I could flip the mapping vertically or 180 degree, yet when loaded in game, everything looks correct. This was one of the questions I was hoping to ask you...

Edited by Divergence009
7 hours ago, Divergence009 said:

No I didn't bother doing any UV mapping, because I thought such a small change would not deviate so much to the point that the texture is wrong. I mean I'm merely modifying the shape of the mesh, not changing to another position. More importantly, when I imported the texture .png file, it's not aligned right, so there was no way for me to check the mappings:

You will have to either edit the texture or the UV map. Currently it's using the texture from a different part of the body.

As you can see, it would look right if I could flip the mapping vertically or 180 degree, yet when loaded in game, everything looks correct. This was one of the questions I was hoping to ask you...

This is normal with Kuro textures. I made vertically flipped copies of all my textures just to display them in Blender. There should also be a checkbox when importing/exporting a mesh that you can tick to flip the Y axis.

Hmm..I don't know what "normal vectors" are but let me go google them.

The weight groups should be no problem: the lower body part only has 3 weight groups and I thoroughly checked that on both lakovic and jmedia7's meshes, and these groups are actually very consistent and there wasn't even any need for me to rename them.

3.png.4d63bae205cea0fc8ebcb4e516fc1c6b.png

The UV maps are flipped in game. The solution is to flip your DDS file before exporting to PNG to preview in Blender.

I do not think you can assume that you can keep the UV mapping. lakovic almost certainly moved the mapping when using jmedia7’s mod as a base since the base for lakovic’s mod was the original Judith model in the game.

10 hours ago, rastafarid said:

Did someon ever made mods for Ys8 or 9 here ?

Normally I would encourage you to make your own mods (and actually I am still encouraging you to make your own mods) but I actually started playing Ys 8 this past week or so.  So consider this a sneak peek!

556765054_2022-12-0514_56_15-YsVIII_LacrimosaofDANA.png.1696368f00ea20b87f9caad79719cf1c.png

I make no promises for now.  Modding this game is a huge pain.  (And yes, that is a @coomi mod, I love his mods and he has given me carte blanche to use them in the past, sooo...  hopefully coomi you don't mind me using them now!)

1 hour ago, amorrow28 said:

Normally I would encourage you to make your own mods (and actually I am still encouraging you to make your own mods) but I actually started playing Ys 8 this past week or so.  So consider this a sneak peek!

556765054_2022-12-0514_56_15-YsVIII_LacrimosaofDANA.png.1696368f00ea20b87f9caad79719cf1c.png

I make no promises for now.  Modding this game is a huge pain.  (And yes, that is a @coomi mod, I love his mods and he has given me carte blanche to use them in the past, sooo...  hopefully coomi you don't mind me using them now!)

you are a god!

Time to start redownloading YS8

On 12/5/2022 at 3:31 PM, Divergence009 said:

Edit: this is that final look of the mesh, and it shows even more feel of that "battered metal".

Reveal hidden contents

About the mesh,try select the whole mesh in Edit Mode,then go to Mesh --> Normals --> Reset Vectors to see if it work.

Spoiler

3.png.ca50b8d469c2c1549b940827b36bb1aa.png

As for the textures,you need to make sure the uv map are at the correct position:

Go to UV Editing,select both mesh you want to edit,press C and paint the part you want to edit(make sure you are at edit mode),compare two uv map and move the uv map to the same position if they are not already.

For example,I want to move part of the swimsuit from Model A to Model B,let's check both model uv map position:

Spoiler

1.png.ccb4643297563f8b0b24eae61cca4965.png

As you can see,they are not at the same position.Since I want to move part of the swimsuit from Model A to Model B,I will move the uv map from Model A to the same position as Model B as well:

Spoiler

2.png.e1732da7717bfafa93131a8ab1674483.png

Edited by fakecheng
On 12/5/2022 at 3:31 PM, Divergence009 said:

Hello, amorrow28!

Reveal hidden contents

and I found it to be easily the best mods on the forum, even without counting in the extra costumes he added. While I really like the changes he made (high polycount on the breasts, fixing the mesh problems from jmedia7's original work, etc), I'm really not a fan of the change he made on the lower part body. It looks weird and like a "W" 

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

I'm sorry, due to China's reasons, I rarely have the opportunity to browse foreign websites. I didn't see your post until now. I am very happy that other people continue the modification of kuro-no-kiseki-mod, and I am also happy Share my method with you. Just like @amorrow28, he contributes his method of making mods to the forum for free, so there are so many excellent works.

I noticed that you grabbed a triangle-like surface to replace the body under my model, but this will cause some points to be misaligned, and the subsequent repair work will take a lot of time.

Below is my method

Spoiler

I suggest something similar to mine below to grab more faces.

1. Import agnesbody.vb, make a copy (used as transfer weight), and import the initial model of @jmedia7

Spoiler

Snipaste_2022-12-07_17-54-06.jpg.e61c8b79dc5ae5dfb90e196d3e416f16.jpg

2. Select the model base to be retained, similar to the picture

Spoiler

Snipaste_2022-12-07_18-03-35.jpg.e96b2dfb6da4f15b4d65556d5eb242ed.jpg

3. Stitch these two parts together, first select cover.vb, (cover.vb here is a model from jmedia7, any one is fine). Then select agnesbody.vb.001, ctrl+j, merge them together, and deal with the problem of edge connection (I believe you know how to deal with this part, I won’t go into details here)

Spoiler

Snipaste_2022-12-07_18-13-06.jpg.e18afc8bc4f4d2b4a04c444d712a6752.jpg

4. Switch to object mode, you can also see that the two models still have obvious edges

Spoiler

Snipaste_2022-12-07_18-16-36.jpg.6d42a3b40ef522f228aaff0e73a9a90e.jpg

5. Press tab to return to edit mode,
Normal - Auto smooth, remove the tick
Press a to select all models, press M, merge - by distance

Spoiler

Snipaste_2022-12-07_18-17-48.jpg.1c1d0ccc73987734719f36c6e25fcc60.jpg

6. Press tab again to return to the object mode. At this time, you will find that the hard edges of the model are gone (this step is just to check)

Spoiler

Snipaste_2022-12-07_18-21-05.jpg.924df03d8f583695d48c847cb3de339f.jpg

7. Go back to the editing mode, press ctrl+g, remove all groups, transfer the weight of the agnes.vb model we copied earlier to the model just made, that is, transfer the weight of agnesbody.vb to agnesbody.vb. 001, if you don't understand this weight transfer, you can take a look at the tutorial

Spoiler

Snipaste_2022-12-07_18-25-04.jpg.928d324d4f15b18c6326ff5e84b37749.jpg

8. Export the model and replace the original model in my folder, successfully

Spoiler

Snipaste_2022-12-07_18-27-54.jpg.d029056e7e017afb8c98017046a07e35.jpg

Edited by lakovic
3 minutes ago, lakovic said:

I'm sorry, due to China's reasons, I rarely have the opportunity to browse foreign websites. I didn't see your post until now. I am very happy that other people continue the modification of kuro-no-kiseki-mod, and I am also happy Share my method with you. Just like @amorrow28, he contributes his method of making mods to the forum for free, so there are so many excellent works.

I noticed that you grabbed a triangle-like surface to replace the body under my model, but this will cause some points to be misaligned, and the subsequent repair work will take a lot of time.

Below is my method

Hide contents

1. Import agnesbody.vb, make a copy (used as transfer weight), and import the initial model of @jmedia7.

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

3. Stitch these two parts together, first select cover.vb, (cover.vb here is a model from jmedia7, any one is fine). Then select agnesbody.vb.001, ctrl+j, merge them together, and deal with the problem of edge connection (I believe you know how to deal with this part, I won’t go into details here)

Reveal hidden contents

4. Switch to object mode, you can also see that the two models still have obvious edges

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

6. Press tab again to return to the object mode. At this time, you will find that the hard edges of the model are gone (this step is just to check)

Reveal hidden contents

7. Go back to the editing mode, press ctrl+g, remove all groups, transfer the weight of the agnes.vb model we copied earlier to the model just made, that is, transfer the weight of agnesbody.vb to agnesbody.vb. 001, if you don't understand this weight transfer, you can take a look at the tutorial

Reveal hidden contents

Hide contents

The following is the agnesbody model I replaced. I replaced the model in the folder Mods\UnSkirtMod\Agnes\Bathing

Bathing.zip

On 12/6/2022 at 6:10 AM, fakecheng said:

About the mesh,try select the whole mesh in Edit Mode,then go to Mesh --> Normals --> Reset Vectors to see if it work.

Hide contents

3.png.ca50b8d469c2c1549b940827b36bb1aa.png

As for the textures,you need to make sure the uv map are at the correct position:

Go to UV Editing,select both mesh you want to edit,press C and paint the part you want to edit(make sure you are at edit mode),compare two uv map and move the uv map to the same position if they are not already.

For example,I want to move part of the swimsuit from Model A to Model B,let's check both model uv map position:

Hide contents

1.png.ccb4643297563f8b0b24eae61cca4965.png

As you can see,they are not at the same position.Since I want to move part of the swimsuit from Model A to Model B,I will move the uv map from Model A to the same position as Model B as well:

Hide contents

2.png.e1732da7717bfafa93131a8ab1674483.png

Hello, fakecheng, thank you very much. Sorry for not replying earlier. I saw your reply as well as others's right after you created your posts, but instead just replying and say thanks, I was hoping to do that when I can bring back some results or at least questions. 

First of all, I tried resetting the normal vectors, and there is indeed some improvement:

Spoiler

507199267_Step5.thumb.png.866c8dd01e5982464ca4e72571cf705f.png

1221418012_resetnormalvectors.png.5716038b0edd9c645f2749f3789f0dfc.png

Though that's more or less irrelevant, because I took the wrong approach here. Still that's something useful. When amorrow28 first said my normal vectors were wrong, I thought he meant some of the faces are flipped.

and then after playing around more with the textures and the UV mapping, I'm starting to see what you mean: 

Spoiler

Whenever you selected some vertices/faces in the 3D Viewport, doesn't matter from which mesh, in the UV Editing window it's always going to show up at the same spot. It doesn't seem to matter if the selected vertices/mesh is a duplicate, or has been cut off from it's original mesh, or is part of the mesh you're working on, the position of the UV mapping is not changed. Example:

1.png.6a948cdb555075111136c92441f4abb5.png

2.png.67164eee93bcb7d0bd433a2118328817.png

There is something that I'm confused about for quite some time now, and I think this must be clarified if I'm to continue with what I'm trying to do (After I'm done with my original goal, I'm hoping to add the pudendum from Vita's mesh to Agnes and possibly to the rest of the Kuro female characters).

Spoiler

Here is the question, in "UV Editing" in Blender, why is only half the UV mapping in Kuro have textures underneath it, while the other half is "hanging" in the grey area? I understand they're left and right symmetrical, but is this how things always work in Blender? The direct result of this is that when I load a .png texture file in Shading, only the right half of the body appears to have the correct textures:

3.png.c6b7bc446339c9e0008ed9ab4cf8b004.png

However, Vita's texture applied in Blender looks much better on her mesh.

4.png.4cefa7358ff7895b0c3826f039df8a63.png

My understanding is that this is due to the fact that Vita's UV mapping are overlapped in UV Editing. In other words the mappings of both the left and right bodies are "stacked" onto the texture, leaving nothing hanging in the grey area. It's a hard to see since they're all stacked on top of each other, but I believe that really is the case:

5.png.e9ddcc275059831e8959f4672a54cca5.png

If you imagine flipping the left half of UV mapping of Agnes (like flipping a page) onto the right half, you should get the same result like Vita here.

However, this now becomes a problem --- if I wish to add the pudendum from Vita's mod to Agnes, I'll have to add that piece of texture to Agnes:

6.png.b7ec748c3b1cd527d0400f45bcd0c1b9.png

Would that work out? Since Agnes's mapping is left and right symmetrical or half-half, and Vita's mapping is "stacked".

On 12/5/2022 at 11:09 AM, coomi said:

You will have to either edit the texture or the UV map. Currently it's using the texture from a different part of the body.

This is normal with Kuro textures. I made vertically flipped copies of all my textures just to display them in Blender. There should also be a checkbox when importing/exporting a mesh that you can tick to flip the Y axis.

Hello, coomi, so....what would be the correct approach for Kuro mods, perhaps like:

1. Create a vertically flipped copy of all texture files

2. Work with these flipped copies in Blender.

3. Once finished, flipped them back and load those texture files in game

Are the above steps correct? ?

Also, is there a reason all the texture files in Kuro are flipped? Maybe it has something to do with the game engine Falcom was using for Kuro? It is a new engine, different from the CS series. 

Edited by Divergence009
On 12/7/2022 at 5:40 AM, lakovic said:

Below is my method

Reveal hidden contents

1. Import agnesbody.vb, make a copy (used as transfer weight), and import the initial model of @jmedia7

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Haaai, Lakovic, I'm surely glad to see you come online! 

Yes I figured that was probably the reason because I saw you mentioned in a previous post that you get blocked from visiting foreign websites. I knew all along that some websites like youtube are blocked, but didn't know you'd have trouble visiting a game forum, too. 

I was really hoping to talk to you, and I was actually a bit worried because blocking like this in China could become permanent at any point without warning, like what happened with Steam last year :X

Thanks so much for taking the time and share your steps with me. I haven't got the time to reply to you and the others because I was just getting some stuff done at my workplace before my Christmas vacation starts, but that's all settled and I intend to focus on this modding work from here on.

After I went through your method, I was kind of speechless because your method is exactly what I did on my first attempt, except that at the end I was not happy with something and I deemed this method a failed approach. I didn't even add it to my first post on on the forum and instead what I added there was my second attempt.

My first attempt:

Spoiler

477833304_Firstattemptcut.png.982195bd098895741be9ee2e1ed7f314.png

Same as your method, but I tried to cut a much smaller piece.

End result:

719847892_marksattheedges.png.abcd960343b5cca60259be1d13237bd1.png

These marks at the edge of the cut piece after I merged them (ctrl + J) are what I was not happy with. I didn't see these marks on your mesh or jmedia7's mesh, so I abandoned this idea and started over.

You can even see the date of those files. Other than the .ini file which directly came from your mod, which I downloaded on Sept 20, I completed my first trial on November 23, but abandoned it right after because I didn't know all I had to do was turn off Auto Smooth ?

date.png.ece22e1c6a982a69f6bddd950372dab7.png

It was not until I finished reading through your method yesterday did I know that your step 5 - "Normal - Auto smooth, remove the tick" was the key. Once I tried that, the marks were gone and it turned out really good:

Spoiler

1128300304_marksgone.png.66a44b9b0bbf994f857740818fba1a90.png

End result:

295586208_EndResult.png.9ddba8f1033d851da74bf6f1ceccdbc6.png

I do have a couple of questions for you though. Really hope you could help me with them:

Question 1: When you created this mod, after you're done fixing your first character (high polycount on the breasts, moved nipples down, shape of the lower body part, etc), how did you add these changes to the rest of the female characters? There is no way you manually did the modification on each of them, right?

Spoiler

Snipaste_2022-09-20_17-20-03.jpg.e46a75cae30a89731091f61d0d6f3c02.jpg.a533c78342a90269c4917809e61ae936.jpg

1597041079_5chars.png.4da1d034207c6dd07f5a8e1144e5b3e2.png

Having said that, I just noticed that not all female characters received the high polycount mod for the breasts -- so far only Agnes and Risette amongst the ones that I loaded into Blender here, but that's whatever. The important thing is the lower body part which I think is something you put on all the female characters. Could you please let me know how you did it? Did you use the first character as the base (which was done manually), and then modify all the female characters one by one using your method ("cut and replace")?

Question 2: If I wish to add Vita's pudendum to Agnes's mesh, is there any advice you can give me?

Spoiler

My original goal was to replace the lower body part of your mesh with jmedia7's for all the female characters and that's it. When I went through amorrow28's tutorial, in one of them he was modifying vita's mesh (https://www.loverslab.com/topic/166239-trails-of-cold-steel-4-mod-request/page/18/#comment-3786873) 

I noticed the pudendum on this mesh was really well done. amorrow28 was kind enough to provide the finished work at the end (download link: https://www.loverslab.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=1464808&key=3cf03509548383f9a5f759c4458c3441)

I think it would look better than all the existing mods we have on the forum for Kuro. 

1629584822_Vitasmesh.thumb.png.52944755998e72a2d55570d5b70d0453.png

653532712_Vitasmeshtexture.png.1a40a1365110c91fdca365e5dc84147f.png

1936534282_vitapudendum.png.237d71b9caddf4b17254b8a1c28229d2.png

2055792542_vitapudendumabove.png.9a68dcb529f23670e45548915f3f10d7.png

Vita's mesh is from another game and it's quite a bit different from Agnes's mesh and other female chars in Kuro, so I'm not sure if your method would still work well here. Also, this single piece of pudendum mesh is quite easy to select. I just kept pressing "L" in Edit Mode.

Comparison.png.d938b876b5550cd7b3266df9df97634c.png

Lastly, I really appreciate you even uploaded a mesh I was hoping to have. Truly didn't expect you to do so much. I already downloaded it.

Edited by Divergence009
1 hour ago, Divergence009 said:

Hello, fakecheng, thank you very much. Sorry for not replying earlier. I saw your reply as well as others's right after you created your posts, but instead just replying and say thanks, I was hoping to do that when I can bring back some results or at least questions. 

About the half "hanging",does the uv map look like this?

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.f5cfd25021c338aaed1a15d4c2edeb31.png

If so because half of the uv map is out of the uv map box area(red area),that why only half of the body texture is render correctly in Blender.It should be fine as long as the texture work in the game.And yes,Vita's uv map are overlapped so the texture render correctly.

About add the pudendum from Vita's mod to Agnes,it will work.If your uv map look like the screenshot above,you can overlap it by select the part outside the box,right click>Mirror X,and then move that part to the same position as the other half:

Spoiler

image.png.f37347557365d04e527f7f96227ea050.png

3.thumb.png.715ac06e1eed4b01c83c9e507bbf7e01.png

After you overlap the uv map and add the pudendum texture from Vita's mod to Agnes,make sure to move the pudendum part uv map to the same position as the pudendum texture.

On 12/6/2022 at 9:20 AM, amorrow28 said:

I'm interested in how to make YS8 mods,Is there any tutorial about it?Should I use  script such as “kuro_vb_merge.py” to import Data to Blender? or blender can identify the frame dump  data directly?

On 12/9/2022 at 5:05 AM, fakecheng said:

About the half "hanging",does the uv map look like this?

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.f5cfd25021c338aaed1a15d4c2edeb31.png

If so because half of the uv map is out of the uv map box area(red area),that why only half of the body texture is render correctly in Blender.It should be fine as long as the texture work in the game.And yes,Vita's uv map are overlapped so the texture render correctly.

About add the pudendum from Vita's mod to Agnes,it will work.If your uv map look like the screenshot above,you can overlap it by select the part outside the box,right click>Mirror X,and then move that part to the same position as the other half:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.f37347557365d04e527f7f96227ea050.png

3.thumb.png.715ac06e1eed4b01c83c9e507bbf7e01.png

After you overlap the uv map and add the pudendum texture from Vita's mod to Agnes,make sure to move the pudendum part uv map to the same position as the pudendum texture.

Yes that's right, by half "hanging" I meant half of the UV maps are on top of the texture in Blender, and I've been wondering why that's the case:

Spoiler

821580344_Halfonthetexture.png.6bbc3ed13bbc7094282834e14bba4aa7.png

So to add the pudendum from Vita's mod to Agnes, based on my understanding, here are the steps:

Step 1: Open Agnes's texture file in Paint.net, and then flip it vertically, as the texture files in Kuro no Kiseki are upside down by default:

Spoiler

00.png.17340871315379a68bd931f0daaf7f6f.png

flip it vertically in Paint.net so I am able to work with it:

00_fliped.png.44d2711c6e3f72e137bbfe3c49b912f9.png

Step 2: Copy and paste the part of the texture for the pudendum from Vita's texture and put it on Agnes's texture, in a spot that is "free" (not used by any existing UV mappings).

Spoiler

1268289463_00_fliped_withpudendum.png.3d53a9866d6f3be81d75f6e72307584b.png

Step 3: And once I moved over the pudendum mesh, I can put its UV mapping on top of this texture part. Don't forget to also flip Agnes's UV mapping with "Mirror X", and overlap it on top the other half that is "inside the box". This way both Agnes's UV mappings and the pudendum's mappings are consistent in this way.

Spoiler

date.png.c840a2eba7c1b7942851b39f36457bfa.png

Step 4: After that is done, flip the texture (vertically) back so it can be loaded in game.

Spoiler

121559555_00withpudendum.png.a9a6484032a1e68cc0c190109e3c74c9.png

I hope these steps/logic are correct...?

Questions:

1. After it is all done, can I leave the UV mapping stacked like this and do the export? Would it work?

2. It won't work if I add the mappings & texture for the pudendum without doing the overlapping for Agnes's UV mappings, right? Like this:

Spoiler

image.png.f24d0b474ca6278fbac623d32b6fc6aa.png

4 hours ago, Divergence009 said:

1. After it is all done, can I leave the UV mapping stacked like this and do the export? Would it work?

2. It won't work if I add the mappings & texture for the pudendum without doing the overlapping for Agnes's UV mappings, right? Like this:

1.Yes,you can leave the UV map stacked,the game still recognize it.

2.It should work too but I am not modding kuro for a long time so I can’t quite remember.You can try to add pudendum without overlap her uv map and see what happen in game.If it's not work,you can always go back to blender and overlap it.

Edited by fakecheng
On 12/9/2022 at 4:07 PM, Divergence009 said:

Haaai, Lakovic, I'm surely glad to see you come online! 

Yes I figured that was probably the reason because I saw you mentioned in a previous post that you get blocked from visiting foreign websites. I knew all along that some websites like youtube are blocked, but didn't know you'd have trouble visiting a game forum, too. 

I was really hoping to talk to you, and I was actually a bit worried because blocking like this in China could become permanent at any point without warning, like what happened with Steam last year :X

Thanks so much for taking the time and share your steps with me. I haven't got the time to reply to you and the others because I was just getting some stuff done at my workplace before my Christmas vacation starts, but that's all settled and I intend to focus on this modding work from here on.

After I went through your method, I was kind of speechless because your method is exactly what I did on my first attempt, except that at the end I was not happy with something and I deemed this method a failed approach. I didn't even add it to my first post on on the forum and instead what I added there was my second attempt.

My first attempt:

Reveal hidden contents

477833304_Firstattemptcut.png.982195bd098895741be9ee2e1ed7f314.png

Same as your method, but I tried to cut a much smaller piece.

End result:

719847892_marksattheedges.png.abcd960343b5cca60259be1d13237bd1.png

These marks at the edge of the cut piece after I merged them (ctrl + J) are what I was not happy with. I didn't see these marks on your mesh or jmedia7's mesh, so I abandoned this idea and started over.

You can even see the date of those files. Other than the .ini file which directly came from your mod, which I downloaded on Sept 20, I completed my first trial on November 23, but abandoned it right after because I didn't know all I had to do was turn off Auto Smooth ?

date.png.ece22e1c6a982a69f6bddd950372dab7.png

It was not until I finished reading through your method yesterday did I know that your step 5 - "Normal - Auto smooth, remove the tick" was the key. Once I tried that, the marks were gone and it turned out really good:

Reveal hidden contents

1128300304_marksgone.png.66a44b9b0bbf994f857740818fba1a90.png

End result:

295586208_EndResult.png.9ddba8f1033d851da74bf6f1ceccdbc6.png

I do have a couple of questions for you though. Really hope you could help me with them:

Question 1: When you created this mod, after you're done fixing your first character (high polycount on the breasts, moved nipples down, shape of the lower body part, etc), how did you add these changes to the rest of the female characters? There is no way you manually did the modification on each of them, right?

Reveal hidden contents

Snipaste_2022-09-20_17-20-03.jpg.e46a75cae30a89731091f61d0d6f3c02.jpg.a533c78342a90269c4917809e61ae936.jpg

1597041079_5chars.png.4da1d034207c6dd07f5a8e1144e5b3e2.png

Having said that, I just noticed that not all female characters received the high polycount mod for the breasts -- so far only Agnes and Risette amongst the ones that I loaded into Blender here, but that's whatever. The important thing is the lower body part which I think is something you put on all the female characters. Could you please let me know how you did it? Did you use the first character as the base (which was done manually), and then modify all the female characters one by one using your method ("cut and replace")?

Question 2: If I wish to add Vita's pudendum to Agnes's mesh, is there any advice you can give me?

Reveal hidden contents

My original goal was to replace the lower body part of your mesh with jmedia7's for all the female characters and that's it. When I went through amorrow28's tutorial, in one of them he was modifying vita's mesh (https://www.loverslab.com/topic/166239-trails-of-cold-steel-4-mod-request/page/18/#comment-3786873) 

I noticed the pudendum on this mesh was really well done. amorrow28 was kind enough to provide the finished work at the end (download link: https://www.loverslab.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=1464808&key=3cf03509548383f9a5f759c4458c3441)

I think it would look better than all the existing mods we have on the forum for Kuro. 

1629584822_Vitasmesh.thumb.png.52944755998e72a2d55570d5b70d0453.png

653532712_Vitasmeshtexture.png.1a40a1365110c91fdca365e5dc84147f.png

1936534282_vitapudendum.png.237d71b9caddf4b17254b8a1c28229d2.png

2055792542_vitapudendumabove.png.9a68dcb529f23670e45548915f3f10d7.png

Vita's mesh is from another game and it's quite a bit different from Agnes's mesh and other female chars in Kuro, so I'm not sure if your method would still work well here. Also, this single piece of pudendum mesh is quite easy to select. I just kept pressing "L" in Edit Mode.

Comparison.png.d938b876b5550cd7b3266df9df97634c.png

Lastly, I really appreciate you even uploaded a mesh I was hoping to have. Truly didn't expect you to do so much. I already downloaded it.

Question 1:

Spoiler

Question 1: I try to understand your question 1 through translation, but the translation is not accurate, I can't understand your meaning very well, maybe there are two meanings.
If you want to transfer the lower genitals of jmedia7'mod to all female characters under my mod, you need to open my mod file, find all the bodies in it, repeat the same steps to transfer the lower genitals, I didn't think of a faster way , when you are proficient, I estimate that a body model can be made in 2-3 minutes.
If you want to ask me how I completed the bodies of so many female characters, I initially established a standard body, and then modified the size and shape of the chest to achieve the differentiation of each character (there is no differentiation in the genitals). This is also a relatively tedious task.

Question 2:

Spoiler

Question 2: Transfer the vulva of vita to the body of agnes. In fact, this is a direction I have been exploring recently, but I found that the game engine of Kuro has very low support for high-precision textures. When I use high-precision (4k textures) When used on agnes' body, her performance effect is not as perfect as I thought. (I don't have a good workaround for now)
I explored with another Chinese player who likes to make mods. We used 3 kinds of vulva models, and the effect it produced was actually very average. So I won't put screenshots of the game here, I still need to improve it so that it reaches my satisfaction
Here I don't intend to use this kind of vulva in the kuro1 game, because most people have already cleared the level of kuro1, I plan to use this kind of vulva in kuro2, and at the same time bring you a new experience in the game.

Spoiler

895486421_QQ20221215184130.jpg.e3c3ea507bd8c268ae8f4e34478050c6.jpg128021610_QQ20221215184136.jpg.c016a9c17a5e3e6da25a3eec9215e01e.jpg1693548707_QQ20221215184140.jpg.b17f603adf34cfc5add451a084773975.jpg560320235_QQ20221215184144.jpg.b366ab6bd14c454fc3eab6c2e36a56af.jpg

In addition, I noticed your post above, there is a map that needs your attention, I believe you should have found the problem during the production process, that is, the area in the map is not blank, it is connected to the above (red circle) Yes, if you want to use the texture of vita vulva, you need to find another blank place

Spoiler

Snipaste_2022-12-15_18-53-14.jpg.1a2481f0ca4dcf5cc74b172160a3d080.jpg