Weird Texture or Material issue (I think)

so I decided to start playing the game again (or at least going over mods)

and I have a problem with textures

I haven't changed any settings or any mods.

it was working fine yesterday (or the day before) *at least from what I can tell.

so now, I have a problem with textures going wrong.

also the act of taking screenshot brought the texture back (briefly)

*it seems to be random because it did effect the players skin but I couldn't recreate that issue for screenshots.

**the only mod that I updated was "High FPS Physics Fix" but I removed (and then downgraded) it and the bug still occurs

20220706225810_1.jpg

20220706225813_1.jpg

20220706225831_1.jpg

20220706225833_1.jpg

20220706231713_1.jpg

20220706231721_1.jpg

Completely spitballing because I really have no idea (never seen that happen before), but could it have been brought on by a video driver update or something similar external to the game/mods?

6 hours ago, vaultbait said:

Completely spitballing because I really have no idea (never seen that happen before), but could it have been brought on by a video driver update or something similar external to the game/mods?

I think I traced it to the Vulkan Renderer because it seems to work fine without it.

but I have no idea why now(or two days ago)

because the last nvidia driver update was 28th of June (I installed on the 30th)

and I didn't touch anything in Fallout 4.

I will try playing without the renderer but it makes the game so much better (no nvidia CTD's and I barely get CTDs in downtown)

I suspect vault bait is on to something, but......textures not being loaded can be a result of the PC and not from your FO4.     That you seem to have found the issue (external to FO4) is good, but i recall there were some DLSS options that I did not set up, as I haven't had a FPS drop (other than due to Epic, GoG and Steam U/Is).   Also, the last Vulkan driver looks to have been published in Jan 2022.    Does NVidia normally include the Vulkan Drivers or do we have to do that separately?

https://developer.nvidia.com/vulkan

39 minutes ago, steelpanther24 said:

I suspect vault bait is on to something, but......textures not being loaded can be a result of the PC and not from your FO4.     That you seem to have found the issue (external to FO4) is good, but i recall there were some DLSS options that I did not set up, as I haven't had a FPS drop (other than due to Epic, GoG and Steam U/Is).   Also, the last Vulkan driver looks to have been published in Jan 2022.    Does NVidia normally include the Vulkan Drivers or do we have to do that separately?

https://developer.nvidia.com/vulkan

so I have been using this mod from Nexus

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/48053

(I know it might cause worse performance but because it prevents CTD's in Downtown and prevents the Nvidia bug then it is a sacrifice that I'm willing to make)

*it also prevents a CTD when fast traveling

but my main folder is a mess with Reshade and ENB's which might have something to do with it (even if they are not active (I think))

Edited by Invictusblade
1 hour ago, Invictusblade said:

so I have been using this mod from Nexus

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/48053

(I know it might cause worse performance but because it prevents CTD's in Downtown and prevents the Nvidia bug then it is a sacrifice that I'm willing to make)

*it also prevents a CTD when fast traveling

but my main folder is a mess with Reshade and ENB's which might have something to do with it (even if they are not active (I think))

Ah, I did not know that it was available as a mod.    I assumed that those drivers and DLSS (if you are using that) are something you have to set up outside of Vortex (I don't know MO2, so I don't know how it does mod injection).  I see that the mod is a manual mod installation, but I went into my NVidia experience program to set up my GPU options.   Also, the mod looks to have the latest Vulkan dlls so that isn't the issue.

However, I never got ENB to work on Skyrim (several years and one GPU ago) so I never bothered since.    The first instinctual reaction to missing or mis colored textures is a mismatch on the resolution (2k being applied to something that needs 4k).   However, going back and looking at the screen shots without assumption of a texture issues, it could be lighting or ray tracing is the issue and those dark items are not missing a texture, they are just "dark".    From my limited understanding, Reshade and ENBs largely affect resolution, and has some impact on lighting, but....... I still think your issue is ray tracing. 

14 hours ago, Invictusblade said:

my brain hurts at the moment, because I made even more problems

1. Perk Mags CTD's when viewed (no idea when this started)

2. Pipboy CTD's when activated (this happened within the last few hours)

Try disable group of mods and test

So this is a closed matter now (I will delete this topic in a week or so)

so I actually have little to no idea why the pipboy started CTDing.

but I reinstalled BakaFramework and that seems to work

and it turns out the main issue was to do with the vulkan renderer (which is a shame because I really like how it removes the nvwgf2umx.dll bug)

so I am removing that.

Edited by Invictusblade
8 hours ago, Invictusblade said:

So this is a closed matter now (I will delete this topic in a week or so)

so I actually have little to no idea why the pipboy started CTDing.

but I reinstalled BakaFramework and that seems to work

and it turns out the main issue was to do with the vulkan renderer (which is a shame because I really like how it removes the nvwgf2umx.dll bug)

so I am removing that.

It might be more helpful to just add the note [solved] so others who may have a similar issue can see if the same solution would help.   There is no FAQ section, so it should still be discoverable.  

Recommend changing the title to "issue with Lighting/Ray Tracing/Vulkan renderer [solved]".

Edited by steelpanther24