[WIP] Unicorn ~ by Trykz (mesh edits by b3lisario)

Trykz

white faun i cant see boby  :s

First, this WIP thread (for a completely different race no less), is NOT the place to find help. Post your issue (in as much detail as possible) in my release thread where you got the mod from. My signature will take you right to it.

Trykz

Okay, a bit of a status update:

I've decided to forego the SOS integration, and let the SOS guys sort the custom race incompatibility problem themselves (it works quite nicely with this race and SexLab mods the way I have it set up). So I'll be releasing this mod when it's finished, with the FS Erect body for males to save myself the extra work of updating each time SOS gets modified. The only way to make it work without needing updates, would be for me to include some of the SOS assets (in new custom locations) within my mod, so they can't be affected by SOS changes. I don't like for my mods to be dependent on anything I don't create myself (or can't acquire permission to use and alter to my needs). It's too problematic to be worth the effort, so therefore won't ever happen. I tried sending a message on Nexus to ask, but it seems VectorPlexus can't get messages there for some reason.

In any event, I'm on to the texture work full-time, and this *might* be ready by Saturday night if all goes well.

Trykz

VectorPlexus is on LL Forum too, can try PM. Also, I'm totally waiting for your new art. I'm just curious if male will be able beat a bandit to death with his junk XD.

Thanks for the heads up :)

I sent him a PM here, but it's been a week or so since he was last active here. If he allows my request to include some of his assets in my mod, I'll release it with the SOS body. If not, well...... FS it is.

Trykz

Will you make the hooves as a separate option? Right now the only other hooves uses the body, so you can't equip armor along with the hooves. A stand alone hooves that uses the feet slot only would be nice for people that don't use this type of boy, or if they want to change their chars to unicorns without starting a new char, or changing classes (I read that the skills get screw if you do so).

but that defeats the idea of this race and the armor sets that tyrz makes for the sets if its the same as the white faun are craftable in light or heavy armor sets which were really nice.   :)

and tyrz said on the cover post there is a few sets of armor prepared for it.

Will you make the hooves as a separate option? Right now the only other hooves uses the body, so you can't equip armor along with the hooves. A stand alone hooves that uses the feet slot only would be nice for people that don't use this type of boy, or if they want to change their chars to unicorns without starting a new char, or changing classes (I read that the skills get screw if you do so).

I've addressed this before in the White Faun WIP thread:

the hooves CANNOT work standalone. The way Skyrim utilizes the calf (as part of the body mesh) for both bodies AND armors, the hooves cannot be used as a foot, because they also use the calf. Entirely new body meshes (for everything) would need to be created. And that's certainly not likely to happen.....ever.

Even if it could work, I still wouldn't do it. As Alliere pointed out, it would defeat the entire purpose of my mod. If you don't like the body, or don't want to start a new game to play the race, there's nothing I can do for you, so you'll have to give it a pass.

Sorry,

Trykz

Mmm, figured as much, I tried to mess with the slots in CK and Nifskope and I had a feeling that would be the case, it's not that I don't like the them of the race, but it's that often custom races don't have much compatibility with what you have (like body mods and char creation) that I thought I reproduce it by using each part as an item.

Again, I was just asking, I still think the mod looks very good, and most surely I'll download it.

Regards.

I've addressed this before in the White Faun WIP thread:

the hooves CANNOT work standalone. The way Skyrim utilizes the calf (as part of the body mesh) for both bodies AND armors, the hooves cannot be used as a foot, because they also use the calf. Entirely new body meshes (for everything) would need to be created. And that's certainly not likely to happen.....ever.

Even if it could work, I still wouldn't do it. As Alliere pointed out, it would defeat the entire purpose of my mod. If you don't like the body, or don't want to start a new game to play the race, there's nothing I can do for you, so you'll have to give it a pass.

Sorry,

Trykz

Mmm, figured as much, I tried to mess with the slots in CK and Nifskope and I had a feeling that would be the case, it's not that I don't like the them of the race, but it's that often custom races don't have much compatibility with what you have (like body mods and char creation) that I thought I reproduce it by using each part as an item.

Again, I was just asking, I still think the mod looks very good, and most surely I'll download it.

Regards.

Wait a sec . . . I'm not trying to take sides or add work to anything, i'm just wondering aloud...

correct me if I'm wrong. . . but.

couldn't you do the hooves (as they are in this mod) as part of an armor? You could remove calf polys as high as you need. Then for boots, you'd have to wear "no feet" boots whose sole (lol) purpose is to just visually remove the feet.

I mean if you really wanted these hooves without being this race, i suppose you could do that.

Wait a sec . . . I'm not trying to take sides or add work to anything, i'm just wondering aloud...

correct me if I'm wrong. . . but.

couldn't you do the hooves (as they are in this mod) as part of an armor? You could remove calf polys as high as you need. Then for boots, you'd have to wear "no feet" boots whose sole (lol) purpose is to just visually remove the feet.

I mean if you really wanted these hooves without being this race, i suppose you could do that.

That's the problem...... the hooves can only work *with* a highly modified body mesh. They could be made to work separately, but then every NPC in the game would have them, or a body that they won't fit. That's pretty pointless if you ask me. Especially if your purpose is to avoid using a custom race.

Regards.

Not sure what races you're referring to. But in all of my tests, my races have worked perfectly fine with race mods made by others. I've tested them with Ningheim, Milky Girl, LoverGirls, Temptress, Noiral, and countless others. If you're having issues with compatibility, it's likely something caused by a race mod I'm unaware of, or one of the *off* versions of RaceCompatibility. If it adds a BSA to the ESM it's built from, then it's garbage and unreliable. Primarily because RaceCompatibility's entire purpose is to preserve compatibility.

For ANY race mod (not just mine), I suggest TMPheonix's version, which is basically an update of Expired's original mod. None of the other versions I have tried have ever worked reliably. And I'm pretty sure I've tried them all. Also, my mods are built under TMPheonix's *vanilla* file. I leave the compatibility for DLCs up to the version the user requires, to support the DLCs they actually have (or don't), and remove any specific DLC requirements from my mods.

It's for that reason that I don't include RaceCompatibility with my mods. Any race modder who does is begging to take on additional unnecessary support work. But that's their choice.

Would it be possible to make one of these as a companion?

Yep. In fact, one is already included. *If* you can find where he and his twin foals are hidden. If you find Artemis (the Unicorn mount), then you're REALLY close  ;) 

Be warned though..... his foals follow him everywhere, just as unicorn's naturally do (according to the lore I've read)  :P They aren't hidden in any place new, or placed anywhere outdoors. I modified an existing cell for them, which is pretty centrally located and *should* be found during normal game play early on. The cell I used is pretty much useless for anything, isn't related to any quests, and contained only 3 mobs that would kill a lower level player quite easily if they wandered into it. Anyway, that's enough hints LOL

Trykz

well on the discussion with the companion characters.... are they marriageable?

If so that would be great :)

Arturo (the male NPC) is. In fact, I figured the roleplay value of keeping him a single parent was well worth adding the ability for him to marry the player  ;) In fact, his foals will compliment you on *being the best*, and ask if you can be their mother  :P

For general information:

His twin female foals however, cannot be married. They are a completely separate child race (like the Nord, Imperial, and Redguard kids), and are flagged in multiple places throughout the mod as such to keep them from being used in *adult* situations.

But creating new follower NPCs from either of the adult races is entirely feasible. I release all of my race mods in ESM format to better facilitate creating new followers/NPCs on add-on ESPs.

Also, the cell they're located in can be used as a player home should you decide to marry Arturo and live at his place. It's not much, but I arranged for it to be reasonably comfortable. Of all the cells I looked at as possibilities, the one I chose seemed the most fitting. I have a few finishing touches to put into it, but for the most part it's done  :)

I'll try to get some screens up later, that hopefully won't give away too many clues about the location.

Trykz

I've decided to push this out for a week or so. I came to this decision based on two factors:

first, I'd like to give VectorPlexus time to reply to my request to use some SOS assets within the mod, so I can release it with the SOS body for males, and no specific dependencies.

second, is no matter how great they may look in GIMP, I'm simply not finding the texture sets (the fur bits) the least bit satisfactory. With all of the work that's gone into this mod thus far (on b3lisario's part as well as mine), it HAS to be outstanding in every aspect. And I won't settle for anything less at this point. It would be shameful to cover b3lisario's awesome mesh work with textures that are not of at least equal quality.

I also need to fix Arturo's neck seam, which I believe was caused by using an NPC file created while CME and ECE were active in my load order. Meaning I may need to recreate him completely.

I hate texture work  :@

Trykz

hello! 

first of all your mod looks really nice ^^ the second & the most important thing: VectorPlexus gives u the permission to use all needed SOS assets ( & please don't forget to credit him & Smurf)

best regards

& good luck with your mod ^^

aoki

hello! 

first of all your mod looks really nice ^^ the second & the most important thing: VectorPlexus gives u the permission to use all needed SOS assets ( & please don't forget to credit him & Smurf)

best regards

& good luck with your mod ^^

aoki

I most certainly will......

Thank you for delivering the message, and please, thank Vector for me when you next speak with him  :)

Trykz

So I'm finally back home after a few days away on business.....

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to work on this in that time. I returned home last night to find my entire rig clusterf*cked. I think one of my kids may have had a part in this, but of course, they all deny even turning it on  :P

So after a full system restore last night, I've re-installed Skyrim, my DLCs, and am currently updating the system with Windows Update (a process which takes substantially longer than it really should). Once I get everything back up and running properly, I'll get my mods in order and re-installed, and start working on getting the textures done for this. At least this time, I had the foresight to copy my Skyrim Data folder to a secondary drive after I had this machine built.

In any event it may be for the best, since my previous Skyrim installation was riddled with junk I hardly ever used, and wasn't running as reliably as it should (or could, given Bethesda's crappy engine). My Creation Kit also failed horribly, crashing randomly at the most inopportune times (like in the process of scripting a race controller). This time I plan to keep my Data folder a lot leaner, and forego many of the mods I rarely ever used.

When all is said and done, my hope is that the CK will function better, and that my game will perform much more smoothly.

Trykz

Reloads suck. I've got a number of machines in my house that need reloading but I've been avoiding it like the plague because it just plain sucks. I'd almost rather teach my 10yo how to do it. 

In any event it may be for the best, since my previous Skyrim installation was riddled with junk I hardly ever used, and wasn't running as reliably as it should (or could, given Bethesda's crappy engine).

I will however take the opportunity to suggest that you try Mod Organizer (linked in my sig) before going back to your old method whatever it was. Check boxes for un/install, drag-n-drop for load order. It really makes NMM seem clunky when it's all said n done. Trust me... you'll wonder why you hadn't been using it. With TCRA and all the races you have, it'd be dog-ass simple to work on and test (and forget) multiple races in a clean game that is completely separate from your regular game(s) or whatever other mods you want to make/test.

And yeah the way around the "Who's been fuckin with my computer!!" "Not me." conversation... CMOS password. (=

Archived