deleting localthumbcache.package the nerdy way

Yo guys,

since I often forget to delete the localthumbcache.package file after messing with mods/CC, I thought I need an easy way to deal with it.

I ended up, writing a small batch file, that I put into Windows Autostart, that deletes the ltc file, on every boot of the system - and if the file is not there, it does "nothing" :D

If anyone is interested, here is the "code" for it - there may be some "more professional" ways to do so, but I don't care - it does, what it is supossed to do :D

cd "C:\Users\XXX\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4"
del "localthumbcache.package"
end

change XXX to your local user name ;)
if you do not know, how to create a batch file - google it :P 

cheers ?

While in theory this is a nice solution, I wouldn't advise it and I have a few reasons why.

since I often forget to delete the localthumbcache.package file after messing with mods/CC, I thought I need an easy way to deal with it.

If you're modding your game, this is something that you should never forget to do and it should be second nature. If you have a batch file that auto runs every time you boot the computer, you're disabling the mental training needed to make this an automated response. Change your mods, delete the thumbcache. Nice and simple. While this might be kind of helpful for people new to modding their game, I feel it does more harm than good in this regard as it's something that everybody should be mindful of.

The other issue is that when a person makes changes to their Mods folder, that file needs to be deleted right away. Using your idea for a batch file would require a person to reboot their computer every time they mess with their mods folder. It's easier just to create a shortcut to that folder and quickly delete the thumbcache after you've made any changes. Either way, it still requires a person to get into a habit of some sort.

Lastly, there's a lot of us that don't add or remove mods to our game on a daily basis. It's unnecessary to have to regenerate all the in-game thumbnails every time they start up the game as it slows down initial performance.

I'm not trying to be harsh. I'm just putting my two cents on the table. Just because you can automate something doesn't mean that you should.

On Windows one wants to use `del "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\localthumbcache.package" 2>NUL`

Your CD command may fail as /d is missing and hard-coding the location of the user profile to 'C:\Users\' or the username if there is a variable is not nerdy at all.

If you started the game afterwards it could make some sense, and there you really want to query the registry about the installation location and not hard-code the location.

Edited by Oops19