SCIM (Skyrim City Inn Mod)

Spoiler

ScreenShot2.jpg.14a4274acf12deb9fc8c98fd13336f80.jpg

ScreenShot4.jpg.21d4de9c1c875bcb0f82b58643001be2.jpg

ScreenShot5.jpg.a95092d54757d610e029d044a95afe6a.jpg

Note! Input is highly appreciated. Please let me know what works and what does not.

And thanks.

Are you tired of talking or bumping in "Citizen" or "Commoner"?
Then you have the pleasure to meet NPC with real names with this mod.

The mod will add additional upto 50+ NPC to the game location. It varies from location to location.

Inn's and Cities will become more vitalized with more NPC's.

• What it is:

This mod adds unique, individual male NPCs to inns.  This provides background NPCs who can interact with any mod affecting NPCs, including LL mods.  Each NPC is a man with a name and individual look instead of generic copies. 

This is the only mod to add unique, male-only NPCs to inns across Skyrim.

• Why use it:

SCIM provides male NPCs for other LL mods to have interact with the Player Character.  For example, if you are playing a female and want more men for flirting or harassment, SCIM provides (*A* see below) men who will be used by any mod that polls for NPCs to use. 

This also helps with group animations since there are now more men available to be pulled into a scene.

• Example reason to use it:

I'm running a female PC and want men for mods like Horrible Harassment, Aroused, Deviously Helpless, Drunk Redux, and other mods.  SCIM give you a lot more men for those mods to trigger.

• How it is different that other "population mods":

SCIM adds unique NPCs to inns (*B* see below) instead of generic NPCs with no name ("Citizen", "Merchant", and so on).  Each NPC therefore is more like non-quest vanilla NPCs who are part of the town, not 10 copies of the same repeated template.  And since they are not random they will always be around town or at the bar, unlike randomly generated NPCs who appear/disappear constantly.

• Recommended mods:

1) Male body Variety - make NPCs fat, skinny, or any combination:

- HIMBO

- SAM or SAM Lite (note - I have not used either SAM version, not sure if one or both is prefered for SE version)

*A* - Number of men:  not sure how many NPCs are added in the latest version.  It's a lot.  More than 50 spread across all the inns, I think.

*B* - and towns!   NPC will wander around towns. Some may enter inn's.

(summary compiled by @ttts1, thanks man)

Technical

• each NPC is assigned factions (so they are responding the their environment correctly)
  • each NPC has a unique face (you will see non vanilla faces)
  • City NPC walk around towns, some do have jobs
  • Inn NPC will behave as to eat, drink or move and sit.

Please feel free to give your input. I am not a pro in modding but will make changes where i can. Its just my personal pet project.

There are some other population mods but they usually contain women, which i did not want.

Here are some additional mods that enhance the male population.

I will make my version of leveled character edits soon.

OBIS for SE

Masculinized Leveled Lists for OBIS SE

I made my own leveled list to replace the above mentioned mods.

Important

?
Permission:

You can change anything in the mod for your personal liking. I am ok to include your work in to this and release it as an option. You will be mentioned of course.

You are not allowed to publish it as your work anywhere else. It is not to be distributed outside of Loverslab.

If you are a mod creator and would like to use it to enhance the immersion, do use it. Just mention me. My little reward.

I understand the mod as a more opensource type of thing. I would love to see it being used widely for the enjoyment of the player.
After all, its a mod to bring life to the desert called Skyrim.

Spoiler

The locations that are covered with this mod below.

Region Name Location Services
Eastmarch Braidwood Inn In Kynesgrove Food, Lodging
Eastmarch Candlehearth Hall The center of Windhelm Food, Lodging
Eastmarch New Gnisis Cornerclub The Gray Quarter of Windhelm Food
Falkreath Hold Dead Man's Drink Falkreath Food, Lodging
Haafingar Four Shields Tavern Dragon Bridge Food, Lodging
Haafingar The Winking Skeever Solitude Food, Lodging
Hjaalmarch Moorside Inn Morthal Food, Lodging
The Pale Nightgate Inn The Pale Food, Lodging
The Pale Windpeak Inn Dawnstar Food, Lodging
The Reach Silver-Blood Inn At the entrance of Markarth Food, Lodging
The Reach Old Hroldan Inn East of Markarth and southwest of Rorikstead Food, Lodging
The Rift The Bee and Barb Center of Riften Food, Lodging
The Rift Vilemyr Inn Ivarstead Food, Lodging
Whiterun Hold Frostfruit Inn Rorikstead Food, Lodging
Whiterun Hold Sleeping Giant Inn Riverwood Food, Ingredients, Lodging
Whiterun Hold The Bannered Mare The Plains District of Whiterun Food, Lodging
Winterhold The Frozen Hearth Winterhold Food, Lodging, Spells
The Rift Vilemyr Inn Ivarstead Food, Lodging
Whiterun Hold Frostfruit Inn Rorikstead Food, Lodging
Solstheim The Retching Netch Raven Rock Food, Lodging

Thanks to Wenderer for his FOMOD installer.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6821

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    12/28/2021
  • Category
  • Requires
    Skyrim SE, DLC
  • Regular Edition Compatible
    No

Edited by wutpickel

Have to work on the bsa file. That does not seem to work for me at least. Please use the texture and mesh part.

Thanks

Ok, i highjack my own response.

I will use this post for posting some testing esp.

The new one i arranged NPC better to the area at Bannered Mare.

SCIM.esp

Now it almost looks clean. NPC sitting, open way but they still there. The just scattered around the whole area now.

If this is what makes it better, let me know. I mainly check now each inn for NPC not performing what they supposed to do like sitting or just standing around. This will take some time. Main goal is to avoid NPC blocking path ways. The mod should not hinder player to move around for other jobs. Not everyone does sex mods. ?

Edited by wutpickel

Just to be clear, I put both the Textures and Meshes files in?  Or choose just one?  I ask because it says "either" on the download page:

"The main file and either the bsa file or the texture file. Both are textures you need in order to have the correct faces for those npc's."

And if only one, I don't really understand the difference between textures or meshes in general so I don't know which is "better".

Edited by ttts1
On 12/28/2021 at 11:44 PM, ttts1 said:

Just to be clear, I put both the Textures and Meshes files in?  Or choose just one?  I ask because it says "either" on the download page:

"The main file and either the bsa file or the texture file. Both are textures you need in order to have the correct faces for those npc's."

And if only one, I don't really understand the difference between textures or meshes in general so I don't know which is "better".

Meshes are the face shapes aka how the NPC looks

Textures are the "Coloring/tinting" on those face shapes.

You need both.

When Wutpickel mentions the BSA they're talking about textures in 2 different formats but both are textures you need. The meshes need textures to apply to the face in a "loose" or BSA format in order to avoid the dreaded Gray-face Bug. You can think of a BSA as basically a zip file.

I don't actually see a BSA in the list of downloads, only Loose Files, but a BSA is preferable because you don't really need to mess with the files.

You usually only need Loose Files for NPCs if the Meshes are having problems with the file path to the face textures and you're getting the Gray Face Bug.

If you manually install files, a BSA would be placed on the same level as ESPs in your Skyrim DATA folder because the Internal File structure of the "Zip" should be identical to the Textures Folder

If it's inside the textures folder the File Path for the BSA is technically "Wrong" when the mesh tries to locate the textures. the BSA's file path would be

Textures\Textures\Actors\Character\FaceGenData\FaceTint\WU_InnMalePopulation.esp

When placed with ESPs the file path is 

Textures\Actors\Character\FaceGenData\FaceTint\WU_InnMalePopulation.esp

1 hour ago, BitterBlue said:

When Wutpickel mentions the BSA they're talking about textures in 2 different formats but both are textures you need. The meshes need textures to apply to the face in a "loose" or BSA format in order to avoid the dreaded Gray-face Bug. You can think of a BSA as basically a zip file.

yeah, @wutpickel updated the description on the mod page to make it more clear and that cleared up my confusion on how to install. 

I didn't know the info you posted, however, and it's helpful on installing other mods I had questions about.  I have about 250 mods installed at the moment and very stable, so I am trying not to blow up my save game and mod list (yet again) due to making a mistake on the install. 

Edited by ttts1

Have to say, i wish there was an easier way to install.

If you understand where everything should be, it should be no problem. But i am aware that some people may have some problems.

At the moment i gave up on the bsa file since it does not even work for me.
So the safest is to copy the loose files in the data folder. Extraction of the zip file should preserved the folder structure.

I am now in the process to add some sound to the whole thing. I had it tested with some simple mod and it worked fine. Just to have some more immersive chatter going on.

Have to say, i wish there was an easier way to install.

If you understand where everything should be, it should be no problem. But i am aware that some people may have some problems.

At the moment i gave up on the bsa file since it does not even work for me.
So the safest is to copy the loose files in the data folder. Extraction of the zip file should preserved the folder structure.

I am now in the process to add some sound to the whole thing. I had it tested with some simple mod and it worked fine. Just to have some more immersive chatter going on.

@BitterBlue The BSA file have to wait a little bit. I tried it yesterday and it did not work. Grey faces everywhere.

So i have to look into what i did wrong or if this is a CK issue.

I tried to pack it with MO2 but i am getting always errors because of writing for archives not set.

I think the mod is easy to install if you have basic modding knowledge.  I'm not quite there so I was 80% sure I knew what to do but I didn't want to mess up my save files.  (I've done that 3 times in the past 10 days doing "experiments"). 

I have the mod working fine and I like it. 

Just a question.

Are you happy with the idles?

Are there to many or to less NPC's in the locations?

Something missing?

For sound, i figured out how i can have a sound for the location. I just haven't found something i like yet. I want to have some background chatter. In some location its quite depressing somber.

To have different NPC doing different things, i need to make different packages. They use basically all the same package at the moment.

This mod concentrates mostly on humanoids.

Bretons and Redguards seem not to have their own distinct voices or assets in CK. Shame really. They are mostly nords with different skins.

Anyway, this whats on my mind at the moment in regards to this mod.

Feel free to write your suggestions. :)

1) I like the mod.  This really fills a gap that existed in adding NPCs that can be used for all the different types of approach mods. 

2) Inns seemed too empty for what Skyrim is supposed to be.  An Inn would be busy with people, these towns have no where else for people to go and do anything.  Your mod helps fix that, in my opinion.

3)  User error:  Inns can be really crowded if you have too many other NPC and Follower mods.  I think one of my inns has about 40 or so NPCs/Followers in the main room and you can't move around if I turn them all on.  That's a user problem, obviously, not a mod problem.  I will probably look at how to manage mymods better. 

Specifically, Populated Skyrim Reborn adds a lot of NPCs in many places.  I think your mod and Populated Skyrim work fine together, but if you have follower mods that add 3-7 Followers per inn somewhere like Whiterun or Riverwood, then its really crowded.  It feels like there's a big party or event going on, which is nice.  Like a bar during New Year's or something in real life.

Not your mod's problem though.  I do not suggest reducing the number of NPCs, just mentioning what I see due to my mod list.  I prefer what your mod is doing over other mods. 

4) I think it would be great to have more ugly, old, weird looking guys in the inns.  Beggars, too.  Skyrim's default NPCs all seem fit, buff mediocre (or better) looking men in the 20-40 age range.  Something to balance the generally above average (or better) appearance of the vanilla NPCs. 

I just downloaded HIMBO to add some variety to the body types, I don't know if it is possible to do that with this mod without adding a requirement.  I do not think you should add a requirement, I know of a mod that adds new bodies to about 8 vanilla NPCs men without a requirement, but it never seems to work for me and messes up my save by making every person blue (including the PC). 

Also, a land that sent men off to a massive war against the elves and is now in civil war should have a few more poor beggars, guys with ugly scars (from battle), more older people around since the young are fighting in the civil war. 

I apologize if my rambling is confusing in some places.  I can clarify something if it doesn't make sense. 

• 2 weeks later...

@ttts1 lol. I like input.

Well, my main goal was to have some crowds in the inns and second to have them not look too vanilla.

Of course, i wanted men in the inn. I am not sure if we see the times of Skyrim which is a low tech society with few women rights, that in inns, mostly men congregate.

So i left women there that would visit in the vanilla game.

Besides, its incredible hard to alter a gender without altering the dialogs or the setting and purpose they have.

Yes, i can see the problem. One mod i used myself was LIAD. Well made mod though you will end up with lots of NPC's but other population mods will perhaps increase the population in inn's as well. So there could be a problem.

The problem with population mods that are loaded with my mod is for sure that you will end up with more npc's in the inns. The only solution i can think off is to soften my population slightly.

Another problem is, how to make old, fat people in general. There was a mod that made changes to NPC's to make them fat. Where did the sweetrolls go? But i never seen a npc that was actually fat. So that mod perhaps did not work anymore.

Problem is that CK only has normal looking NPC's but i did not see any option to really change them. But i will look into that as i like some ugly people as well.

Including a different mod and mixing it, is possible but have to check permissions.

What i did not like on other mods that populate is the generic nature. Names for example. Though, for every inn i recycled the npc's as well but i think it still better to see the same name somewhere else as to have a "citizen" or "commoner" talk to you.

I am not really done with the modification yet but i did not do anything yet with it to enhance.

I did however thought of a separate population mod where i would have a bandit module and nord and redguard.

Originally i wanted to change some females like Hulda but i think its better to leave them as they are. Some unimportant female npc i can change as they are not essential, with no consequence to the player it seems.

There is still a lot to figure out on my part. Lets see where it leads.

p.s. i will see if i can make them in racemenu bigger, with bigger bellies. Just have to create it from scratch.

Edited by wutpickel

HIMBO will do that, it allows you to use bodyslide for male bodies.  So you would have a female (bodyslide) body and a male (HIMBO) body.   I just added it to give some variety to NPC males (obviously all males are affected, so I am using it for female player character games).  But you would also need the HIMBO clothing replacer files, so that would be 2 dependencies.

But I do not think you should add a dependency like HIMBO.  The player can add that themself, like I did.  I was try (poorly) to mention that I did have a mod that tried to create fat and skinny male bodies without creating any dependency but every time I tried to use it every person in the game got a blue body and face.  Nothing I tried worked due to textures issues (I think).  So I don't know of any way to do that without creating hard dependencies. 

I've never used RaceMenu to adjust NPCs, so I don't know how easy that is to do.  I assume most people are using RaceMenu now, so that would probably not be an issue as a dependency (if it was necessary).  Maybe others have a different opinion. 

The NPCs you add will wonder around town, right?  I suddenly had new NPCs in towns and I am pretty sure it was your mod.  They had names and looking interesting...different than vanilla NPCs.  If so, it really improved the feel of the game.  I may drop Populated Skyrim and see how towns look, using only your mod.  At least now with your mod and Populated Skyrim, the bigger towns actually seem to be busy with people doing things.  Really nice.

I agree on the generic nature.  While it is better than nothing, it gets boring if every new NPC is "Citizen", "Pilgrim", "Merchant".  That's why I really like what you are doing with this mod. 

Edited by ttts1
3 hours ago, ttts1 said:

HIMBO will do that, it allows you to use bodyslide for male bodies.  So you would have a female (bodyslide) body and a male (HIMBO) body.   I just added it to give some variety to NPC males (obviously all males are affected, so I am using it for female player character games).  But you would also need the HIMBO clothing replacer files, so that would be 2 dependencies.

But I do not think you should add a dependency like HIMBO.  The player can add that themself, like I did.  I was try (poorly) to mention that I did have a mod that tried to create fat and skinny male bodies without creating any dependency but every time I tried to use it every person in the game got a blue body and face.  Nothing I tried worked due to textures issues (I think).  So I don't know of any way to do that without creating hard dependencies. 

I've never used RaceMenu to adjust NPCs, so I don't know how easy that is to do.  I assume most people are using RaceMenu now, so that would probably not be an issue as a dependency (if it was necessary).  Maybe others have a different opinion. 

The NPCs you add will wonder around town, right?  I suddenly had new NPCs in towns and I am pretty sure it was your mod.  They had names and looking interesting...different than vanilla NPCs.  If so, it really improved the feel of the game.  I may drop Populated Skyrim and see how towns look, using only your mod.  At least now with your mod and Populated Skyrim, the bigger towns actually seem to be busy with people doing things.  Really nice.

I agree on the generic nature.  While it is better than nothing, it gets boring if every new NPC is "Citizen", "Pilgrim", "Merchant".  That's why I really like what you are doing with this mod. 

I see the problem. So the question will be, how can you get there without dependencies.

For one i am very intrigued to have more natural NPC that is either fat, slim, chubby or something in between with missing teeth or blind (vanilla has that) or bad scars. The nice looking ones are in vanilla.

So i will research that a little more. I did check Himbo and it looks nice. Though i am not sure how i can add it without a dependency. But lets just research.

I was somewhat wrong about the racemenu. It does not have the option to change the body itself but rather the head.

Well, for the names i used this nice generator.

https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/nord_names.php
This works quite well to have some "real" names and not have everyone named "citizen". I do not think i gave my NPC the "will" to travel per se but i see them leaving and coming as well. All the better.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. I am still working on this mod.

I have made some changes.

These are....

removed some idles. It looked a little silly after awhile to have them do drunk etc.. so a little less but perhaps makes more sense.

I also added some imperial soldiers that will have schedules. Day work, eve drunk.

Additionally, i made some NPC sit instead of all standing. So they specifically sit.

My future goal will be to populate the city which will be its own mod.

What i could not solve is to get npc fat. That was kind of my wish. I relay solely on vanilla outfits. So they may get a little boring but no dependencies.

So that is my update so far. I redo all the inn's and add some non-inns. So this will take a little time. Plus, since half NPC will sit, there is more room at the cell. Perhaps i can add some more but i leave it at that for now.

p.s. i forgot that i also make all NPC follower enabled and marriageable. So in case you would use for example Devious Follower, it could come in handy since you can be enslaved to that NPC. Though these NPC's are nothing special, they just can be used.

Another thing i had to redo are the packages. If i only have one package, they way i created it, it will draw all NPC to the location where you are. Not good. So i have to redo and add more packages so everyone stays in their place.

Plus, every NPC gets their own name. So you will not see X in every town. Though they are technically the same by appearance.

Edited by wutpickel
1 hour ago, wutpickel said:

What i could not solve is to get npc fat. That was kind of my wish. I relay solely on vanilla outfits. So they may get a little boring but no dependencies.

You can add a "recommended" mod on the download page, as I have seen some mods do.  They have a list of "recommended mods" that are intended to be used along with their mod, but are separate so they do not create dependencies that some may not want to use. 

In this case, I have used the HIMBO mod to create a lot of variety in bodies for males.  As I mentioned before, HIMBO allows you to use Bodyslide for male bodies (and the HIMBO outfit replacer to work on vanilla clothes).  Not sure if you have tried it yet, so you may already know this, but it can work to do what you want without adding additional work to your modding.  All you would need to do is set body weights for NPCs you create.

What I have done is use HIMBO to set a Weight 0 males to be very skinny and Weight 100 to be fat throughout the body.  Males at body weight 50 look normal this way since it's the "average" of the two slider setting extremes.  At 25 they look thin but still fit while at 75 look heavy but not obese.  So there is a good variety of body types but it does seems like some vanilla types of NPCs are all the same as beggars all seem to be weight 0 and rich men seem to all be weight 100.

I have not tried to enable physics on them, which is an option when you install HIMBO, because I did not know if my computer could handle all NPCs (both male and female) having physics without causing problems.  I'll probably try that sometime soon, but the only NPCs where it is noticeable not to have the physics turned "on" is the fat guys.

Edited by ttts1
1 hour ago, ttts1 said:

In this case, I have used the HIMBO mod to create a lot of variety in bodies for males.  As I mentioned before, HIMBO allows you to use Bodyslide for male bodies (and the HIMBO outfit replacer to work on vanilla clothes).  Not sure if you have tried it yet, so you may already know this, but it can work to do what you want without adding additional work to your modding.  All you would need to do is set body weights for NPCs you create.

I haven't played with Himbo yet. Too little time.

But i will check it out. I already checked out the page though.

Physics on NPC supposed to drain the machine. Mine is average, so not a good idea.

Update 1/28/22

So i underestimated the work for follower option. Its not to realize as each NPC would need a separate relationship form in CK.

What i did now, is to remake the mod a little more. Goal is, that inn patrons have jobs they do and after going to the tavern. Works fine so far, though i always seem to have the problem to get them do thing where they are. They do follow their path and get to their destination. Well, i have to look what vanilla does.

I probably need more NPC to make it more immersive. There are so far 30 Nord and 10 Imperial (without uniform) that i distribute between (Whiterun) Bannered Mare and Drunken Huntsmen. Since i split them in shifts, there will be about 20 NPC for example at Bannered Mare.

Two beggars, some forge workers, some going out and in pubs, others wander around town or spend their time at the market.

Well, i hope i can finish at least Whiterun for tomorrow so i can go to other towns surrounding it.

You may want to rename the mod at some point so it is more clear to people who are just looking at titles in the Downloads section.  Something like "Wutpickel's Male NPC Expansion",  "Wut's Lively Cities and Towns", or "Populated Men".  I don't know.  Probably not "The NPC Explosion - Under-Manned Skyrim Fixed".  Definitely not that. 

I don't know if you can change titles once you create a mod page, but just a suggestion.  I think there's so much potential with this mod and not sure people know what it is. 

But don't try to do too much, you don't want to burn out too fast. 

Thanks for the input. Well, sometimes i think i can do this and then you hit that road block. The good is, you learn more about modding but the bad is, you have a lot of setbacks.

Renaming is probably a good idea. Should not be too much of a problem.

I always liked the idea, that NPC's have something to do. Other than that they are static which is somewhat strange. So at this stage i will test and try anything i can at Whiterun before i go beyond.

I'm not sure if I have an incompatibility or something but in Whiterun (I haven't checked other places very well yet) all of the npcs stay in the main room of the inn and never leave or walk around. It is a big issue because they block the way and I can't get into the inn. I don't have any other population mods active so I don't think it's that.

Spoiler

ScreenShot70.png.5f89fc5f5e10fdd80af757421a722c3c.png

ScreenShot71.png.2e96886c1a7d94e7e6b97612256cb212.png

Edited by waaahluigi

So....this is strange:  When I try and install the newest version you just updated today the installer crashes MO2 and will not install. 

I've never seen that before, not sure why.  I tried both SCIM + Raven Rock, SCIM alone, and Raven Rock alone.  All three cause MO2 to Crash To Desktop without installing.  

Last night I tried the version you released just before this one (the one marked 020822) that had the FOMOD installer without descriptions in it, it installed fine and the mod worked fine.  I just reinstalled it after trying to install the newest (2/9) version and the install worked fine again.

So the problem must be something that changed with this version, or a change to the installer with this version.  Unless the problem is unique to me for some reason. 

(I didn't vote on the blog yet because I also had your YesMen mod, Populated Skyrim, and a few other mods running and didn't have time to try with only this mod running.  It all looked good last night but I really only walked in to The Bannered Mare in Whiterun just to see and did not really play). 

Edited by ttts1

The installation by Vortex still doesn't work also with SCIM_020922. I don't know what you changed after WU_Population_MenArising_Update020522 (which is the last one that worked) but you screwed everything up by something you changed since then. If this really is supposed to be the last version I am glad that I kept WU_Population_MenArising_Update020522 (which is then the last version for me).

Oh wow... Ok, let me check what did go wrong here. This should be working.

In the meantime you can just copy the mesh and texture to the data folder. The same for the mod itself.

The installed worked for me with MO2.

I will solve this but have to check first.

Thank for letting me know.