It is Dragonborn

Veta

I am very sorry for opening a new thread just for this but I think it needs to be clarified 

You are Dragonborn not The Dragonborn , you may think to you self what is this guy talking about ,what I am talking about is every time I see a post/article on skyrim people call the protagonist 'The Dragonborn" that is not correct .

A good way to make my point is by talking a phrase from the wiki where it says

Dragonborn scarcely exist and it is rare for more than one to appear within an era.

What you need to notice is that he uses Dragonborn in plural ,  it can also be understood by the fact that you aren't the only one .

Basically where I am going with this is that Dragonborn is not a title and it should not be used in a sentence like one .

I am very sorry for opening a new thread just for this but I think it needs to be clarified 

You are Dragonborn not The Dragonborn , you may think to you self what is this guy talking about ,what I am talking about is every time I see a post/article on skyrim people call the protagonist 'The Dragonborn" that is not correct .

A good way to make my point is by talking a phrase from the wiki where it says

Dragonborn scarcely exist and it is rare for more than one to appear within an era.

What you need to notice is that he uses Dragonborn in plural ,  it can also be understood by the fact that you aren't the only one .

Basically where I am going with this is that Dragonborn is not a title and it should not be used in a sentence like one .

It's already made pretty clear when you first talk to the Greybeards and gets even more obvious when you meet Miraak. I never noticed that people refer to the protagonist as "The Dragonborn" but that's just downright bad research.

You are Dragonborn not The Dragonborn (...)

True, but since you said yourself there normaly aren't two dragonborns once, you still could refer to the progagonist as "The Dragonborn" as it is the shortform for "The Dragonborn of this era".

Ok, but honestly I never realized it before now.

You know what I did to the last guy that tried to tell me I wasn't the Dragonborn?

I crushed his pretty mask, caved his chest in with my voice, and fed him to a Lovecraftian eldritch horror in a realm composed of ichor and secrets that, at the time, was his own turf.

Yeah, so I'm not the first and won't be last. But as long as I'm alive, I'm the motherfucking Dragonborn, and anybody who doesn't like that better fukkin' deal with it before I make them.

You know what I did to the last guy that tried to tell me I wasn't the Dragonborn?

I crushed his pretty mask, caved his chest in with my voice, and fed him to a Lovecraftian eldritch horror in a realm composed of ichor and secrets that, at the time, was his own turf.

Yeah, so I'm not the first and won't be last. But as long as I'm alive, I'm the motherfucking Dragonborn, and anybody who doesn't like that better fukkin' deal with it before I make them.

Oh man, this hit the nail on the head pretty hard over how I feel about it. Badassery at its finest! One other thing that I have always pondered about is whether the player is a descendant of the Septim bloodline, or whether the gods simply waved a magic wand and poof another Dragonborn was made. The Septims, from what I understand, may have had quite a few illegitimate children. I wish they clarified that a little more because I'm such a lore nut.

1331313515_Skyrim_badass_gag.jpg

i63B91TkJTMIs.jpg

"Lighten up, Dragonborn"  --Geralt of Rivia

(50 points to the first guy that gets the reference.)

Miraak, Alessia, Remen and Tiber Septim weren't related, but they were all Dragonborn. Miraak was out of the picture, so the only connection they all shared was the Amulet of Kings. Alessia only became Dragonborn upon making a covenant with Akatsoh, which created the Amulet. Any who the oversoul of the Amulet deemed worthy to wear it gained dragon blood, and thus the right to rule.

So far as the lore is concerned, Martin was the last of the Septim line, and with the Amulet of Kings destroyed, even if there was another heir, they would not have had the dragon blood. It is not a thing that can be passed from parent to child. The Dragonborn in Skyrim has no blood connection to any of the previous Emperors or Dragonborns. It was Akatosh who gifted them with the dragon blood, the soul of a dragon. If the current Dragonborn has kids, they will not be the same as their parent; they will not be able to take the power of slain dragons, nor could they learn the Thu'um like their parent.

The only way for another Dragonborn to appear in the world is by the will of Akatosh.

Miraak, Alessia, Remen and Tiber Septim weren't related, but they were all Dragonborn. Miraak was out of the picture, so the only connection they all shared was the Amulet of Kings. Alessia only became Dragonborn upon making a covenant with Akatsoh, which created the Amulet. Any who the oversoul of the Amulet deemed worthy to wear it gained dragon blood, and thus the right to rule.

So far as the lore is concerned, Martin was the last of the Septim line, and with the Amulet of Kings destroyed, even if there was another heir, they would not have had the dragon blood. It is not a thing that can be passed from parent to child. The Dragonborn in Skyrim has no blood connection to any of the previous Emperors or Dragonborns. It was Akatosh who gifted them with the dragon blood, the soul of a dragon. If the current Dragonborn has kids, they will not be the same as their parent; they will not be able to take the power of slain dragons, nor could they learn the Thu'um like their parent.

The only way for another Dragonborn to appear in the world is by the will of Akatosh.

Interesting bit of insight. I've always thought dragon blood was something that was inherited and functioned more like genetics. Given the magical and mystical nature of the lore, I don't even know why I thought of it like that to begin with. Where is that information coming from, if I may ask? I'm writing a fanfic of Skyrim and am borderline obsessed with getting the lore right.

The TES wiki, which uses actual in game lore books as their source. Also, I might be wrong about Remen not being related to Alessia; according to the Remanada there was a coupling of the spirit of Alessia and a king named Hrol. On that spot a hill rose up and a baby Remen was found holding the Amulet.

Of course, the lore itself calls it a mythical account, so it being true is... not exactly solid.

Wait! I remember now:

You are Dragonborn not The Dragonborn (...)

True, but since you said yourself there normaly aren't two dragonborns once, you still could refer to the progagonist as "The Dragonborn" as it is the shortform for "The Dragonborn of this era".

Ok, but honestly I never realized it before now.

Would that be a "protagonist" that swallows?  :P

I seriously need to brush upon my intarwebs lingo  :(

Interesting bit of insight. I've always thought dragon blood was something that was inherited and functioned more like genetics. Given the magical and mystical nature of the lore, I don't even know why I thought of it like that to begin with. Where is that information coming from, if I may ask? I'm writing a fanfic of Skyrim and am borderline obsessed with getting the lore right.

Well, you both are right in a way.  From my understanding from the probably unhealthy amount of time I played Oblivion and Skyrim, that Dragonborn are individuals with born with the souls of dragons.  Now it's never said whether or not those of the Septim line have "dragon souls", but they do have the "dragon's blood". The "dragon's blood" is a reference to the Septim line's link to the Divine called Akatosh, who is the God of Time who is depicted or has decided to take the form of a dragon.  So in a way, both are considered "Dragonborn", however I believe they are not "dragonborn" in the same manner.

Well, you both are right in a way.  From my understanding from the probably unhealthy amount of time I played Oblivion and Skyrim, that Dragonborn are individuals with born with the souls of dragons.  Now it's never said whether or not those of the Septim line have "dragon souls", but they do have the "dragon's blood". The "dragon's blood" is a reference to the Septim line's link to the Divine called Akatosh, who is the God of Time who is depicted or has decided to take the form of a dragon.  So in a way, both are considered "Dragonborn", however I believe they are not "dragonborn" in the same manner.

And Darth Vader was Lukes father.

And Darth Vader was Lukes father.

LOL! I guess I did kinda ramble on a bit there...

Archived