Prototype mod merging utility SkyMerge

Convolution

This is an attempt at a mod merging utility for Skyrim. It is derived from a decompilation of the FNV Plugin Utility by ScripterRon using mod file format information from the the Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages wiki and TES5Edit's source code. It appears to be functional, but has undergone very limited testing. Some of the code may be reusable, so I leave it here for others. SkyMerge requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.

oiw7.jpg

SkyMerge V5

http://www.mediafire.com/download/c83jmp270hd8330/SkyMergeV5.zip

Prior Version:

Known issues:

1. Due to limited testing some record fields are probably incomplete when it comes to updating references.

2. NAVI record could probably be more efficiently merged.

3. Threading code used in the UI doesn't always get completely removed after program exits, so sometimes a reboot is required to use the program again.

• 3 months later...

Hi thanks for your work now I have a few questions just to be sure:

- Is it fonctionnal

- I read somewhere you couldn't merge mods with scripts is it still true?

- Do you think it would work correctly with mod organizer ( I guess it would put the merged esp in the override folder though)

- What does it do with the esp that where merged? Rename, delete, nothing?

That said thanks for your hard work. I'll be sure to test it for a bit after my business trip...

- Is it fonctionnal

It appears to be functioning but as mentioned I've only done limited testing.

I read somewhere you couldn't merge mods with scripts is it still true?

I do not know for certain. I tested merging two spells mods that had scripts and it seemed to work, but that doesn't mean trying another type of script won't break.

- Do you think it would work correctly with mod organizer ( I guess it would put the merged esp in the override folder though)

Can't say because I do not use mod organizer. The user specifies which directory to work out of, so the program itself does not care.

- What does it do with the esp that where merged? Rename, delete, nothing?

It does nothing with the esp that were merged. In essence, it tries to follow the same functionality as FNV Plugin Utility.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated to handle XCZR field in REFR records, and I tried getting the search to work.

I should point out that some mods built with older tools like TESSNIP may not be loaded by SkyMerge or merged properly. If the mod's header record says it has 300 records in it but there's really only 22, SkyMerge is not going to load it. If a record has fields with bytes missing, SkyMerge will probably throw an error trying to merge them.

Lastly, as with my other mod FO3NV no credit is claimed for SkyMerge. No restrictions are placed on it. You can do with it what you want.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated to fix not properly updating AVIF PNAM and SNAM fields, and PERK NNAM fields.

For those that do experiment with SkyMerge, it has been built by merging and testing the results of a merge against TES5Edit. Any merge mod should contain only the errors that TES5Edit reported in the original mods (hopefully none at all). So a user would first check for errors in the original mods and make a note of them, merge using SkyMerge and then check for errors in the merged mod. If no new errors show up, then there is good reason to believe the merge was successful. If a new error shows up, it most likely means a field that contains a form ID that needs to be updated was not accounted for.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok found time to launch it it seems to work ok until now...

One feature that could be great to add would be the possibility to take two folders and merge them I explain:

I have two mods I set in different folders.

1) I set a working directory (exemple result/)

2) I open a folder: it copies all files in the working directory except the esm/esp (those are saved in an esp/m list in memory

3) Then I select the second folder, same as above the files that exists in both mods ideally it will give you the standard system dialog overwrite ignore overwrite all ingnore all etc... if not that's not such a big problem you can just overwrite.

4) Use the merge option as usual but with the esp/m in both folder

Until now, i did it by hand, so it's optionnal, but it would be a nice automation feature.

Ok found time to launch it it seems to work ok until now...

Glad to hear it's working so far.

One feature that could be great to add would be the possibility to take two folders and merge them I explain:

I have two mods I set in different folders.

1) I set a working directory (exemple result/)

2) I open a folder: it copies all files in the working directory except the esm/esp (those are saved in an esp/m list in memory

3) Then I select the second folder, same as above the files that exists in both mods ideally it will give you the standard system dialog overwrite ignore overwrite all ingnore all etc... if not that's not such a big problem you can just overwrite.

4) Use the merge option as usual but with the esp/m in both folder

Until now, i did it by hand, so it's optionnal, but it would be a nice automation feature.

If I understand correctly, you want to be able to choose mods from several different folders at the same time for merging?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey, I've only noticed this thead. I'm gonna try it now. But, before I do, is this a way to circumvent the 255 mod limit that's hard-wired into the game?

It does allow for that, yes. As mentioned earlier, I've only done limited testing so depending on what you are merging your results may vary.

There are some simiilarities between this and that method, but this mainly follows the approach that ScripterRon used in his FNV Plugin Utility for Fallout: New Vegas.

In theory world and cell groups should merge fine, but not enough testing was done to give a definite yes. If someone would like to try it and let me know I would be very much interested in the results.

Edit: the brief amount of free time I had is finished, and once again I must set this aside. May the pieces be of use to someone, even if the work itself was incomplete.

Archived