Changing creature models with a script

Is it possible to change the creature's model (.nif) on the fly? From what I could find, there is an SKSE function called "setmodel", but there is no documentation on it...

I.e. there are two riekling models: one with the helmet and another without. At certain quest stage it removes the helmet (and maybe changes skin colour), which can be easily implemented by swapping the models. Is it possible though?

Edited by Nexussux!
38 minutes ago, Nexussux! said:

Is it possible to change the creature's model (.nif) on the fly? From what I could find, there is an SKSE function called "setmodel", but there is no documentation on it...

I.e. there are two riekling models: one with the helmet and another without. At certain quest stage it removes the helmet (and maybe changes skin colour), which can be easily implemented by swapping the models. Is it possible though?

Sure, can be done, though I wouldn't mess with setmodel.  Just create the nifs you need (Riekling without helmet, etc), then create a script that uses "equipitem()" and "unequipitem()" to add/remove the desired skin.

Something to note: all creatures are "geared-up" by default, meaning they show all equipped gear at once.  It isn't like with non-creatures where one item displaces another when equipped.  For that reason, if you want the helmet to disappear, you have to manually remove the "equipped" body that has it every time the script fires.

There is a workaround for this, but it has compatibility issues and probably isn't worth the constant maintenance time it would require every time some mod (ABC, MNC) got updated.

Anyway, you will need a set of new "armors" and "armor addons" for the variations of the bodies you want, so a plugin needs to be made for those.  Also might not always play nice with MNC/Creature Features.  Shouldn't be game-breaking, just might not always look exactly the way you expect.

Edited by Seijin8
2 hours ago, Seijin8 said:

Sure, can be done, though I wouldn't mess with setmodel.  Just create the nifs you need (Riekling without helmet, etc), then create a script that uses "equipitem()" and "unequipitem()" to add/remove the desired skin.

Something to note: all creatures are "geared-up" by default, meaning they show all equipped gear at once.  It isn't like with non-creatures where one item displaces another when equipped.  For that reason, if you want the helmet to disappear, you have to manually remove the "equipped" body that has it every time the script fires.

There is a workaround for this, but it has compatibility issues and probably isn't worth the constant maintenance time it would require every time some mod (ABC, MNC) got updated.

Anyway, you will need a set of new "armors" and "armor addons" for the variations of the bodies you want, so a plugin needs to be made for those.  Also might not always play nice with MNC/Creature Features.  Shouldn't be game-breaking, just might not always look exactly the way you expect.

Thanks! Just to confirm: basically if I have 2 identical riekling models without helmet, I can just add a helmet block to one of them in NIfSkope and then use papyrus to equip the ENTIRE nif (basically the entire creature body) with equipitem() ???

Beth sure has weird ways of implementing simple functionalities.

43 minutes ago, Nexussux! said:

Thanks! Just to confirm: basically if I have 2 identical riekling models without helmet, I can just add a helmet block to one of them in NIfSkope and then use papyrus to equip the ENTIRE nif (basically the entire creature body) with equipitem() ???

Beth sure has weird ways of implementing simple functionalities.

Basically, yes.

1. Make new armor record for helmeted (or whatever) Riekling
  2. Make armor addon pointing to the new Nif.
  3. Point the armor to the armor addon
  4. Create script, with the armor as a property to switch to.  May also want the original armor to be saved in the script so it can switch back.

I think the reason Beth made it this way is because they never thought creatures would be changing clothing (which makes sense for skeevers and wolves, less for Falmer, Rieklings, etc).

You might be able to get away with just making a riekling helmet to equip/unequip, but it doesn't solve the issue of many "naked" riekling nifs having helmets on already.  Like I said, other options available, but less compatible and probably not worth the effort.

8 hours ago, Seijin8 said:

Basically, yes.

1. Make new armor record for helmeted (or whatever) Riekling
  2. Make armor addon pointing to the new Nif.
  3. Point the armor to the armor addon
  4. Create script, with the armor as a property to switch to.  May also want the original armor to be saved in the script so it can switch back.

I think the reason Beth made it this way is because they never thought creatures would be changing clothing (which makes sense for skeevers and wolves, less for Falmer, Rieklings, etc).

You might be able to get away with just making a riekling helmet to equip/unequip, but it doesn't solve the issue of many "naked" riekling nifs having helmets on already.  Like I said, other options available, but less compatible and probably not worth the effort.

Great, thank you for the advice! I'll try that.

Regarding the separate helmet, guess the segmented equip will work if the riekling in question is a custom follower that uses its own nifs entirely and isn't affected by mnc.