Wisdom - What do you know that's worth sharing?

When something goes wrong, you have three options:

1. Complain about it.

2. Point fingers (the problem is someone else's fault!)
3. DO something about it!

Doing something about it can help you find opportunities that will help you live a better life.  What can you do to better yourself?  The objective: Work towards becoming the best version of you that you can be.

Treat failure as a learning opportunity, a lesson.  You didn't fail, you learned how NOT to do a particular something.  You then have the options of walking away, or trying another approach at the problem.  Trying again will likely result in another lesson in another way how not to do the thing.  So, you keep trying until you figure out what works.  This is the path to eventual success.

Take care of your body.  I can't tell you how many times I've heard those with age say some variation of: "If I knew I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself in my youth!"

"Being rich is having money; being wealthy is having time.” — Margaret Bonnano  Understand this statement.  Understand that, done right, it takes very little effort to get to a point in later life where you don't have to worry about finances.  What it requires is being as smart as you can be with your money as early as you can be.  Figure out the power of compound interest and use it to your advantage.

Go out and experience what life has to offer.  Getting involved in something new can be daunting at the time, but you'll probably look back on it and be glad you took the opportunity to do so while you still had the youth and other things required to do it.  None of us is getting any younger.

All of us, no matter where we come from or what our physical possessions, have the same Most Valuable Asset.  Time.  Use it wisely, and recognize the vast amounts of it that so many people waste on frivolous pursuits.  There are only 24 hours in a day.  Those who are 'more successful' find ways to make the time count for more than those who are less successful.

Understand that those in power tell you what they think you want to hear.  Maybe not outright lies, but they might as well be, for all the good they do you.  Learn to observe your world and see what's going on for yourself, rather than relying solely on what others tell you is going on. 

The only person on the planet with your personal best interests in mind is yourself.

Give a serious think to where and on whom you expend your time and effort, and why.  The old saying "Will this matter tomorrow?  In a week?  In a year?  Ten years?  One hundred years?" has some serious validity.

Along those lines, be careful of who you expend your time, effort, emotions, etc. on.

There are times to follow the crowd, and times where, no matter how many people are doing it, you might realize that it's just not right for YOU.  Make sure you see it when that time comes, so that you can do something about it.

Always have multiple goals.  With multiple goals, you won't have to wonder "What's next?" when you finish one goal, as there's always something else (preferably several something elses's) to work towards.

Basics to changing your life for the better:

1. Create short and long term goals.
2. Create a to-do list.  This helps with accomplishment, and being able to SEE that you're getting something done.
3. Have a consistent sleep schedule.  This REALLY helps with health.
4. Daily exercise.  Doesn't have to be much, and you can ramp it up as you go.  Longevity (and overall health with it) is strongly linked to the basics of regular exercise.
5. DON'T PROCRASTINATE!!!
6. Be consistent.

Your happiness or sadness in life is almost entirely up to you.

TwoWayToLookAtLife.jpg.8b60be982a79c1b662dfadcb6d3a0417.jpg

Learn to let the past be the past. Don't let a poor past force a poor future, and don't think that a good past guarantees a good future.

Youth is often wasted on the young.  Figure out what's important as early as you can.  Humans have a very limited life span.  Just because it looks like the future stretches out forever doesn't mean it does.  You'll wake up one day and be an age that not so long ago was over the horizon into the future.

As you age, time will seem to speed up as you will have more and more experience behind you than ahead.

On 8/4/2021 at 6:56 PM, AKM said:

4. Daily exercise.  Doesn't have to be much, and you can ramp it up as you go.  Longevity (and overall health with it) is strongly linked to the basics of regular exercise.

My biggest wisdom when it comes to exercise in particular is do it until it's not fun, it gets easier as you go along. My dad was in really poor health and we went for a walk for just ten minutes a day around the block, until it got easier. Slowly that turned to thirty, to an hour. Now he's healthy enough that we're going for days long hikes, something I probably couldn't even have done without getting tired when we started. It's been great.

On 8/7/2021 at 6:40 PM, princessmias said:

My biggest wisdom when it comes to exercise in particular is do it until it's not fun, it gets easier as you go along. My dad was in really poor health and we went for a walk for just ten minutes a day around the block, until it got easier. Slowly that turned to thirty, to an hour. Now he's healthy enough that we're going for days long hikes, something I probably couldn't even have done without getting tired when we started. It's been great.

Exactly.  The point I was making, that seems now that I re-read not to be that clear, is that 'Even the smallest start is a start.  You don't have to start with a marathon.'  I think that's most people's hang up with regards to exercise - that they think that only full on five mile runs count. 

As the saying goes 'A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step.'

> The three of us; my husband, my wife and myself live very healthy life. 5 years ago we all smoked and my wife and I consumed alcohol. Last several years, we jog and exercise daily (2x a day) and my luvs practice martial arts. We look very hot, but more important: we feel much better in every way.

Edited by EvalovesEP

Self reliance. If you don't know how to do something, learn how to do it. It starts with initiative. Learn a new skill. You will thank yourself later. You'll feel a little less dependent on others.

On the same vein as self reliance, virtually everyone around you has something to teach you - if only you ask.  Or even simply observe.  Of course, much of this has to do with not only asking 'correctly', but also knowing what specific question to ask.  You might not get a usable answer if you do not ask the correct question.  That's where I personally struggle.  I have no idea what the 'correct' question is.

Prime example: Learn from your parents, assuming that's still a possibility.  How to, or how NOT to, you can learn, regardless of which way it goes.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The Comfort Zone is a drug.  It's addictive.  Give a weak man regular sex, good food, and cheap entertainment, and he'll throw his ambitions right out the window.  THE COMFORT ZONE IS WHERE DREAMS GO TO DIE!

• 2 weeks later...

(The sayings in this post are not mine, but ancient (Greek?) philosophers.  Not sure which ones.)

The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts.

If you do not know which port to which you sail, no wind is favourable.

First, say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.

The key is to keep company only with people who uplift you, whose presence calls forth your best.

However: NEVER depend on the admiration of others.  There is no strength in it.  Personal merit cannot be derived from an external source.

• 4 months later...

The secret of getting ahead is getting started, however, don't let perfectionism become an excuse for never getting started.

Ask yourself if what you are doing today is getting you closer to where you want to be.
The critical ingredient is getting off your butt and doing something. It’s as simple as that.

A lot of people have ideas, but only the few who decide to do something about them now see them come to fruition.

All your ideas may be solid or even good…But you have to actually build them for them to matter.

You can’t be that kid standing at the top of the waterslide, overthinking it. You have to go down the chute.

Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Speaking of time, as a general rule, when starting a new business, it takes five to seven years for it actually start doing well, figuring out what you're doing, and actually becoming good at it, etc.. 

There are a number of "every day" sayings out there that people know, but don't follow.  For example: 'You are the sum of the five people you spend the most time with.'  People know this, but then they choose really poor examples to be in their Top Five list.

• 2 months later...

There is a BIG difference between 'happiness' and 'contentedness'.  If you strive for continual, "eternal" happiness, you might just wind up with a miserable life.  You see, happiness, like sadness, is NOT a constant state.  It is an extreme.  The constant state closest to happiness that can be achieved with extreme regularity is 'contentedness'. 

Learn to be content, rather than happy.  You'll probably live a much better life.